“Magical Experience”
Review of Giulia

Giulia
Reserve with OpenTable
Giulia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 647 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Harvard Square and Porter Square T stops
Reviewed August 14, 2014

We visited Giulia for a late-night dinner on a rainy Wednesday night… a magical experience all around! We felt comfortable in this place right away: The atmosphere is lively yet elegant, and the staff met us with warmth and enthusiasm. Our (small) table offered just the right amount of privacy, in an intimate setting. And then there is the fantastic food: Our main dishes, rib eye steak and bass, were prepared to perfection, with generous portions (we were amazed by the size of the steak), all fresh and lovingly presented, with flair and style. We concluded a delightful meal with some interesting desserts and dessert wines. Throughout the evening, we largely followed the suggestions of the attentive and knowledgeable staff, without regrets. This was the best meal we ever enjoyed in the Boston area and among the best in the whole country. The prices are very reasonable for a restaurant of this caliber, just over US$20 on average for the main dishes. As I like to write in the reference letters for my best students: I can recommend Giulia without reservations and in the highest possible terms.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

Heard raves about Giulia's -- finally made it there and we were delighted! Cozy elegant ambience, full to capacity but not noisy, and service that was over the top outstanding. Then there was the food! Lovely fresh appetizers with local veggies with just enough unique spicing to make them extraordinary. Bucatini all'amatriciana with the house-cured pancetta was my dish and my companion chose the papardelle with wild boar. The meats in the dishes were excellent and served in just the right amounts to balance the house-made pasta. Lovely sauces. A side of Umbrian lentils (because we couldn't resist and they are a specialty of the chef) so tasty that they gave me a whole new look on lentils. My companion had a couple of special requests and the Chef Pagliarini went out of his way to prepare what she needed and even visited the table to make sure everything was satisfactory. (It was.) Panna cotta topped with a fresh pineapple, vanilla and basil sauce was a refreshing ending to our meal. All fresh ingredients here clearly prepared with love and genuine striving for perfection made this one of the most outstanding restaurant meals we ever experienced. Don't travel too much but when we do we try to get to the renowned restaurants in the area. I would say that Giulia rivaled the Alice Waters landmark Chez Panisse in Berkeley CA. I can't wait to go back!

1  Thank Harriet E B
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Why can't all restaurants be this good? I'd heard the raves and finally made it to Giulia. The early time I found on Open Table worked for us (sold out for the rest of the night on a Monday by the way). This place is packed for good reason... the food and service are excellent.

The atmosphere is fine, simple, very casual. The tables are a little too small... and too close together for real comfort but you're willing to pay the price for such exciting chow.

We had:

Marinated Olives & Almonds... olives very good, almonds amazing
Warm Semolina Cakes... seemed were on every table... good, not great
Burrata with Beets... fantastic
Orecchiette with House-Made Pork Sausage (broccoli rabe, pecorino)... worth a trip just for this
Pan-Roasted Day Boat Scallops w/ mushroom risotto, peas and pickled ramps... fantastic
Brussels Sprouts w/ orange zest, hot peppers... wow, perfect!
“Nostrale” (local farm pick of the day) was Brocolli... wow, perfect!

Some dishes took a little more time than you'd expect, but no matter as they were all served perfectly hot, right from the kitchen. Becomes a bit pricey as you can't resist the amazing food. Don't go without ordering every vegetable dish that you can... the vegetables are stunning.

Kudos to the chef, his kitchen team as well as the front of the house staff. A collaboration of excellence.

5  Thank WINEandTRAVEL
Reviewed August 4, 2014

I dined here with my son based on some really good reviews I had read. The reviews did not do justice to the food here. Just amazing. The bread and olive oil that they give you before the meal were incredible, and the semolina cakes were just an outstanding appetizer. I had the orrechiete with sausage and broccoli rabe, just fantastic. My son had the pappardelle with wild boar, and he savored every bite. All the pasta is made in house, and it shows. The dessert of panna cotta was superb. If i had to be critical of something, I do wish the portions were larger, but the size is no different than you would find in other fine restaurants. Highly recommended.

i

i

1  Thank FGCESQ
Reviewed August 2, 2014

We showed up without reservations and sat at the bar. Unlike other bar scenes, this one was quiet and our party of 3 had no difficulty carrying out a conversation. I agree with other reviews that the service was professional and friendly. The food was superb. We had the swordfish and bass; all prepared with loving care.

About pricing: Sure, not cheap. But the food prices were reasonable (i..e competitive) given the quality of the cuisine and service. However, our pre-dinner cocktails and glasses of wine seemed oddly overpriced compared to the menu prices. A $15 martini preceding a $26 wonderful swordfish dish? Since this was our first visit, maybe a fluke..but struck me as strange when the bill came.

3  Thank MattS.24