“Fantastic Restaurant... Great Chow”
Review of Giulia

Giulia
Reserve with OpenTable
Giulia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 674 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Harvard Square and Porter Square T stops
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Why can't all restaurants be this good? I'd heard the raves and finally made it to Giulia. The early time I found on Open Table worked for us (sold out for the rest of the night on a Monday by the way). This place is packed for good reason... the food and service are excellent.

The atmosphere is fine, simple, very casual. The tables are a little too small... and too close together for real comfort but you're willing to pay the price for such exciting chow.

We had:

Marinated Olives & Almonds... olives very good, almonds amazing
Warm Semolina Cakes... seemed were on every table... good, not great
Burrata with Beets... fantastic
Orecchiette with House-Made Pork Sausage (broccoli rabe, pecorino)... worth a trip just for this
Pan-Roasted Day Boat Scallops w/ mushroom risotto, peas and pickled ramps... fantastic
Brussels Sprouts w/ orange zest, hot peppers... wow, perfect!
“Nostrale” (local farm pick of the day) was Brocolli... wow, perfect!

Some dishes took a little more time than you'd expect, but no matter as they were all served perfectly hot, right from the kitchen. Becomes a bit pricey as you can't resist the amazing food. Don't go without ordering every vegetable dish that you can... the vegetables are stunning.

Kudos to the chef, his kitchen team as well as the front of the house staff. A collaboration of excellence.

5  Thank WINEandTRAVEL

Reviewed August 4, 2014

I dined here with my son based on some really good reviews I had read. The reviews did not do justice to the food here. Just amazing. The bread and olive oil that they give you before the meal were incredible, and the semolina cakes were just an outstanding appetizer. I had the orrechiete with sausage and broccoli rabe, just fantastic. My son had the pappardelle with wild boar, and he savored every bite. All the pasta is made in house, and it shows. The dessert of panna cotta was superb. If i had to be critical of something, I do wish the portions were larger, but the size is no different than you would find in other fine restaurants. Highly recommended.

i

i

1  Thank FGCESQ
Reviewed August 2, 2014

We showed up without reservations and sat at the bar. Unlike other bar scenes, this one was quiet and our party of 3 had no difficulty carrying out a conversation. I agree with other reviews that the service was professional and friendly. The food was superb. We had the swordfish and bass; all prepared with loving care.

About pricing: Sure, not cheap. But the food prices were reasonable (i..e competitive) given the quality of the cuisine and service. However, our pre-dinner cocktails and glasses of wine seemed oddly overpriced compared to the menu prices. A $15 martini preceding a $26 wonderful swordfish dish? Since this was our first visit, maybe a fluke..but struck me as strange when the bill came.

3  Thank Escape802949
Reviewed July 27, 2014

I was sorry we did not opt for the tasting menu after we sampled the opening bites and salumi appetizer. I had the traditionally prepared orrechiete with rappini that was done to perfection. Service was professional, the wait staff not letting a dirty plate or utensil sit for more than a moment.

2  Thank wagesq
Reviewed July 22, 2014

A year ago my girlfriend and I came to Giulia for dinner, sat at the bar (because we didn't have a reservation) and decided to do the chef's tasting menu paired with wine. We decided to show up and do it again last week--It SURPASSED our expectations! The food and experience were even better. The service needs to be called out: Trevor the gm, and Terry at the bar were fantastically kind and knowledgeable. From top to bottom each dish surprised us--imaginative flavors and textures to each bite. If I could afford it, I would eat here every night! YOU HAVE TO TRY IT!

1  Thank Sean R