“Reluctant to Share This Gem”
Review of Giulia

Giulia
Reserve with OpenTable
Giulia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 645 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Harvard Square and Porter Square T stops
Reviewed March 3, 2014

The only downside to Giulia might be its small size, making reservations harder to get. But, it also makes it more intimate. Have gone twice, and the second visit confirmed that the original "wow, this is great food" reaction, was no fluke. Each course was as good as the prior one, and they rival any Boston restaurant. Boston prices also, but deservedly so (although house-made fizzy water is a good deal, and there was a classy declination of a tip on returning the coats that were checked). In addition, the staff is of equal high quality-gracious, solicitous, but not overly so (refilling water, checking regularly on anything needed, etc.). Went before a show at the A.R.T., made it known, and waitress wrote down our desired departure time- one of several nice touches. Hope to go again before word spreads and there is a need to reserve months ahead.

1  Thank edjan_11

Reviewed March 1, 2014

By the time my party had been greeted at the door, I was in love with this place. The staff were great (even if the bartender did try to pull a fast one on us!) - helpful, chatty (but not too much so)...We sat at the bar. I felt like I was in a place where everyone not only knew my name - but wanted to. The food itself was just fantastic. Made from in-season ingredients, it let the natural flavors of the main ingredients really stand out - great combinations, and every mouthful left me wanting more. I highly recommend this place - might be a bit pricey, but definitely worth it!

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We were not able to get reservations for our available times so four of us went early on a rainy Friday night and sat at the bar. The bartender was friendly, knowledgeable, and easy to work with. Drinks were ordered with small plates to start. I have never had duck hearts but the apple and the seasoning made them delicious. I could have eaten the semolina cakes for my meal, but luckily we had ordered 4 pasta dishes which we then shared so we could all have a variety. Each was wonderful. The clams were fresh and the sauce a perfect accent. The wild boar was tender and flavorful as was the lamb pasta. We even had room for dessert which was the special lemon tart which the waitress noted was a taste of spring in each bite. A new father arrived and ordered food to go, which is now an option of us as well. Great evening of food with friends, you can not ask for more.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

It was a Monday night and went with a friend who owns her own restaurant in the North End, she suggested Giulia she came here once before and said it was so good she knew I would enjoy it. We walked in around 6 pm and the hostess asked if we had reservations, we didn’t she said all the tables were reserved but we could sit at the bar. So happy we did the bar sat around 20 people and there were 4 seats left when we sat down. The bartender was very personal and knowledgeable about everything. We sat down and even though he was taking an order next to us, he told us he would be right with us. He came over and told us about their specials and they all sounded wonderful. We started with the crostini of the day which was with a homemade cheese, the tuna crudo with a pickled ginger and the burrata they were all excellent but my favorite was the tuna.
For the main course I went with the special which was the pan seared halibut served with a tomato base sauce with spinach, shrimp, chickpeas, calamari and little necks, I have been trying to make more healthy choices and it was a very good one. My friend had the emmer farro casarecce with a red wine braised duck, she had that the last time she was there and couldn’t wait to have it again. of course we had to have dessert and shared the hazelnut gelato with chocolate shortbread and here was the nice twist came with espresso on the side and was poured right over the ice cream when put in front of us. The whole experience was great from start for the food, but the service made it 100 times better, the bartender (can’t remember his name) was great, even though he had a full bar and was solo serving all that were seated at the bar he never lost his cool, spent time with all the customers that were seated. Can’t wait to take my husband to try.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Warm welcome in frigid February, Giulia lives up to every accolade! Intimate, stylish atmosphere...unpretentious yet every touch is right. The staff is young, friendly and a great team. They know their stuff and enthusiastically share knowledge and passion for the dishes and the drink. We elected to try the tasting menu...DO this!!! 5 courses, one better than the last...house crafted pastas, swoon worthy duck preparations (pasta/app), an amazing sweet tomato marinara with caper finish and desserts that were light yet rich....every flavor sings!! Our server knew his wines & craft beers...we chatted him up on both! I can't wait to return, plan to reserve chef's table with my posse & share the experience!