“Almost always good”
Review of Giulia

Giulia
Reserve with OpenTable
Giulia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 627 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Harvard Square and Porter Square T stops
Lexington, Massachusetts
“Almost always good”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Love this restaurant - have been several times - scores high marks on food and service. Cocktail rating really depends on who is behind the bar. The wine list is extensive.
When we made our New Year's reservations -- well in advance becasue we knoew it would be a popular destination - there was no mention of a special menu. We were called about the change just twoi days before the date, with no time to make alternative plans. No problem though as we likely would have made this choice anyway. Unfortunately their New Year's eve prix fixe was not up to their usual standards... some food was great but some was pretty average. And the drinks that night were lacking enough to have to be returned. Who makes a cosmo without cranberry juice? Luckily the wine list is always great and did not disappoint.
Prior to this experience I would have rated the restaurant as excellent - this experience was just average.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank MCA523

Somerville, Massachusetts, United States
“Damn!!!”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I can't stop thinking about our meal from Guilia. I went with a party of three (wife and her father). We started with some oysters & bruschetta. Both were fantastic. Great display and flavor. or our entree's my father-in-law ordered the spaghetti with manila clams and oyster crema. It looked and tasted great (I tried a bite!). My wife ordered the hand cut tagliatelle with foraged mushrooms. She got some extra truffle on top. It was delicious and flavorful (again, I had a bite). My entree was the pappardelle with wild boar! I'm not lying when I say this was one of the best meals I've had in a long time. The sauce was absolutely fantastic. I don't want to go back tonight....I need to go back tonight.

• Visited December 2013
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“One of my favorites”
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

I have dined at Giulia on several occasions now and the food is exceptional. I always try the daily crostini. Love the pasta & clams in broth, the wild boar & tagliatelle, as well as the homemade sausage. Interesting wine list with some excellent selections from small wineries in Italy. I am surprised by other reviewers' comments on Terri, the bartender. I have eaten at the bar by myself and with friends and Terri has always been friendly and helpful. He has made some excellent recommendations on wine and after dinner digestifs. I feel very comfortable by myself at the bar. They still need to work out some glitches with the waitstaff. I will say that the host/hostesses are always friendly and helpful.

Visited November 2013
Osterville, Massachusetts
“Can't decide where to eat in the North End? Come here instead.”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We've been about four times in the last three months. It's difficult to recommend any dishes since they are all so good. Be sure to have a pasta dish since it is made fresh at the big pasta table daily. Appetizers, entrees, pasta, vegetables, all excellent. We're usually too full for dessert or that would also get a great rating. Nice selection of wine and beers, plus a full bar. Very knowlegable, friendly service.
This is located in our neighborhood and I can tell you there is no parking and no, you can't park in my driveway. Reservations are essential and the last time I checked, running 3 weeks in advance unless you're looking for a Tuesday or when Harvard is out.

• Visited November 2013
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Neighborhood gem”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

On our second visit to Giulia with 2 out-of-town friends, we were again assigned to the large pasta table that sits 2 groups. Because the others were already six, we complained about the interference of the noise level. Well, since our own party wasn't there, the Giulia people did their best to accommodate us to another table as soon as possible. We then enjoyed a lovely Italian meal and very good service.
This is a very small place as most Cambridge residents would expect. Nothing fancy around except for a very warm atmosphere. The dishes are of Italian inspiration but with consistently original twists. The wines are attractive and reasonably priced. The only problem is that this is a very small restaurant and it's impossible to find a table on most nights.
Also, I wish that Michele, the chef and owner, would teach his staff to pronounce Italian words correctly: why say "tag-l-iolinAE" when it is taliolini? Why say for a wine San MTCHELE when it should be presented as San Mikele? Please.....the local clientele deserves better and all others should be approached for an enlightened view of Italy.

• Visited November 2013