“Delightful Surprise”

Cuisines: American, Bar, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I saw this place ranked four stars on Yelp, so I figured it was at least safe. When I walked in and saw standard gastropub seating and a dark and dingy-looking kitchen area, I became somewhat disheartened.

The menu piqued my interest, as it was very different than what I was expecting. Then, the food came out, and it was excellent. All preconceived notions were wiped away. I was a victim of self-imposed presuppositions, and I was clearly wrong in this case.

I ordered the butter poached lobster, bacon & bitter salad, and the french onion soup. The eggs were excellent, medium fried, yet crispy on the bottom. Sprinkled with delicious herbs and seasonings that were not at all overbearing, the yolk mixing its way through the other ingredients. The first egg was in the bacon and bitter salad, with a sweet but vinegary mix that was maybe a bit overbearing but controllable. The egg, bacon, and bitter greens offset each other perfectly. The second egg in the butter poached lobster was more of a presence than an x-factor, but it fit a simple dish perfectly.

French Onion Soup was the best I've ever had, hands down. The cheese was cloying and ever present, the onions were each full of flavor, and the bread was masterfully crispy. The butter poached lobster lay upon an egg with croutons. It fit the bill, but did not go above or beyond.

1  Thank Albert L

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Garden at the Cellar has a very simple and rather small bar interior with only a few tables, very bare-bones. The food, however, is excellent – everything on the menu looks tempting, and the two small courses I had (scallops, butter-poached lobster) were very high quality, and thoughtfully and deliciously prepared. Great bread, too. Friendly and attentive service. The wine selection might have been a bit wider.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

I have been in this place several times but I have only had the classic Cellar Burger. It simply is the best burger I have ever had in the US so far. Plus – for Italians – there is a poster of Birra Moretti that makes me feel happy each time I look at it.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently went here for dinner and drinks. We sat upstairs, although I think there is also a downstairs bar area that also serves food. The restaurant is very cute; overall it is pretty small with some tables and a bar upstairs, and not too noisy. The service was good; our waitress was helpful and very attentive.

For dinner, we got a bunch of small plates and shared them. We ordered the bacon-wrapped dates, pork belly buns, mushroom crostinis, lobster tempura, roasted brussel sprouts, and a pasta special. Our favorites were the bacon-wrapped dates, pork belly buns, brussel sprouts, and the pasta special, which was to die for, but everything was really good.

I would definitely come here again!

Reviewed November 27, 2013

When we saw the outside we were a bit skeptical, but the food was amazing!! The truffle fries were soo good and so were the bacon wrapped dates! YUM.