“Different, tasty, friendly, and quick”
Review of Asmara Restaurant

Asmara Restaurant
Ranked #108 of 689 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed September 3, 2016

We had never eaten Eritrean food before and thought we would give it a try. We took our friendly server's suggestion that we order a combination plate for a sampling of various dishes. The plate included beef, lamb, chicken, and vegetarian dishes, which were each like a stew, plus pureed lentils and a salad, all served on a bed on injera bread. Each dish had different spices, which was interesting. Some were moderately spicy, but not too much. All were very tasty. We were very full when we finished. This would be a good place to go to if you don't have much time - the food arrived very quickly.

Reviewed August 30, 2016

No need for silverware - scoop up the luscious curries with the Eritrean flatbread that is served abundantly. We got a vegetarian sampler platter and a meat sampler platter, and everything was terrific. Fun way to try new foods and enjoy a group outing.

Reviewed August 26, 2016

OK, so I am one to give people the benefit of doubt in most cases. However, there are occasions when it becomes entirely obvious that such grace is completely unwarranted. My wife, daughter and I stopped by Asmaridiculous today for dinner, as part of our dropping said daughter off at college. We were seated quickly, and a nice older lady took our orders (combination platter for 3, and drinks). The platter arrived, in typical ethiopian/eritrean style, as a communal plate, with the dishes strewn on several layers of injera. A small additional plate of injera was also provided. The first bite of the injera however, told me, Boston, We Have a Problem. It was made of all purpose flour, not tef. And worse, it was obvious that the injera had been pre-made, frozen, and thawed for service. Injera that has gone througn a freeze-thaw has a characteristic brittle-leathery texture, and this had it all the way. OK, so they dont make injera on the premises. Fine. Lets see what the rest of the food tasted like. We had ordered the vegetarian platter, and the spicy lentils were ok, as was the spinach. The mild lentils were undercooked, and the cabbage was overcooked. The tomato salad in the middle was overseasoned. OK, so they were down to 3 stars at this point...then my wife made the mistake of asking for more injera. This young eye-rolling excuse for a waitperson responded with "you realize there are 4 layers of injera on your platter, and you are asking for more???" I was startled at this vehement response, as was my wife. We said "never mind, you dont have to give us any more", and decided to just eat up, pay and leave. My wife had been in the mood to order additional food, but after this debacle, decided against it. Then, lo and behold the waitress comes back with a small basket with two more injera and pretty much flings them onto the table. That was it. I was done. Went to the bathroom to wash my hands free of the food residue, and when I came back, my wife was arguing with the same idiot waitress. Apparently the menu they gave us had the wrong prices on it, and the bill, as presented, was about 30% higher than the menu had stated. The waitress was arguing saying that the fact that the menu was wrong was not her fault. We asked for a manager or the owner, and were met with "shes not here right now". And of course she wasnt willing to give us the owners name, because, God forbid, we may actually contact him/her and tell this sorry tale. I got the check, paid cash (no way I am trusting these crooks with my credit card!) and walked out the door. If I ever return to Asmarubbish again, it will have to be because the place is burning down and I have been reborn as a firefighter....

Reviewed August 18, 2016

I have eaten at this restaurant at least 15 times over the past 3 years-the food is always the same in the best way. I have never had a bad meal here, regardless of what I ordered. The staff are welcoming and helpful if you are new to the cuisine without being pretentious, which unfortunately is status quo in other establishments in Cambridge and Boston. As a local who travels between Boston and NYC monthly, this is the Eritrean restaurant to beat, and definitely one of the top ten restaurants overall in the Boston area.

Reviewed July 6, 2016

My boyfriend and I decided to go to this place as we were walking by and saw how busy it was inside! The menu was a little pricey, but it was definitely worth it. Never having tried this type of cuisine before, the waitress was super friendly and explained a lot of things to us, all the way down to the proper way to eat it with the spongey-bread (don't let that sound weird to you - it is a different texture, but very good)! We got the sampler with meats, which were so tender and flavorful. The Asmara tea was tasty as well --- overall, worth spending a little extra on a delicious meal :)

Been to Asmara Restaurant? Share your experiences!