“What's Not to Like?? Great Service and Amazing Good Food!!!!”
Review of Muqueca

Muqueca
Ranked #47 of 699 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Brazilian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 11, 2015

To begin, let me state that our recent first visit to Muqueca will be the first of many. Our servier, Nicole, was first rate--informative, courteous, and attentive. As for the food it is AMAZING!!!!
Constant Companion and I began with Lula empanada com molho de maracujá (Fried Calamari with passion fruit sauce). Nicole volunteered to bring some of Muqueca's home made hot sauce for me. A nice tomato base very similar to "Inner Beauty" sauce it was superb. The Calamari were nicely breaded and cooked perfectly.
For entrees, Constant Companion selected Bobo de camarão (Shrimp BoBó) @
$ 18.95. It was comprised of Shrimp, tomato, onion, cilantro, yucca cream & coconut milk cooked and presented in a clay pot. Accompanying the shrimp was a nice serving of white rice and a "gravy" both of which CC raved about. It should be pointed out that there was too much food for CC to finish so Nicole neatly packed what remained into three separate doggie bag containers. For the next few days CC enthusiastically spoke of her first encounter with Brazilian cooking.
I selected the Moqueca de peixe (Fish Moqueca @ $ 18.95. I have been wanting to try this dish since seeing it featured "Neighborhood Kitchens" on PBS last year. This dish is a Brazilian Style Seafood Stew made with Cilantro, Tomato & Onion, and served with Rice & Pirão. This was a remarkably enjoyable meal also cooked and served in a clay pot !!! The seafood in the stew was tender local Haddock. This was so good that I finished it all but later I was bemoaning the fact that I had no left overs. It was really that good!!!. Total bill, including 1 Caipirinha ($ 6.50) and 1 Chardonnay, including tax was $63.50.

Date of visit: August 2015
2  Thank robertbJ1150ZS

Reviewed July 25, 2015 via mobile

I've seen Muqueca when passing by but never really noticed it. It doesn't demand your attention - it seems more low-key, content to do what it does, which is provide delicious food with friendly and accommodating service.

Four of us went for an early dinner and the place was half full when we arrived. It didn't take long to fill up and it was packed by the time we left. Now I know why.

We started with a beer, two sangrias and a caipirinha. They were tasty.

Given the portions we were seeing brought to other dinners we decided to pass on the appetizers and go right to entrees. This was a shame as there were some really tasty looking apps like fried yucca available with different dips, cod cakes, Brazilian patties and soup with collard greens, potato and sausage. Maybe next time.

I had the Feijoada Completa, a black bean and meat stew, served with fried plantain, orange, collard greens and farofa. It was great! There were a variety of meats in the stew including beef, dried beef, pork, sausage and bacon. But the focus was more on the beans and the stew liquid. Very hearty and tasty.

For those who don't want meat, the menu has lots and lots of seafood and quite a few vegetarian options.

The staff were great - everyone we encountered was friendly and helpful.

I recommend this place and will definitely return to further explore the menu.

Date of visit: July 2015
Reviewed June 30, 2015

If you love Brazilian food, this is your place in the Boston area! I am not such a fan of Brazilian food, but still enjoyed our visits here. The offerings were very similar to what I had traveling in Brazil. My favorites are the fresh juices available, which I have not found many other places, although the caipirinhas are also excellent.. Hubby loves Brazilian food and was especially pleased by frango appetizer, and we all enjoyed the hearts of palm salad and shrimp bobo. Signature moqueca is good, but not exceptional.

Date of visit: June 2015
Reviewed April 10, 2015

This is a gem of a place. The food is delicious and the history behind it is compelling. I highly recommend this restaurant for people who enjoy bold flavors and spice.

Date of visit: April 2015
1  Thank AlexandraS162
Reviewed March 21, 2015

A friendly welcome preceded an interesting and very pleasant meal. Two senior adults and a five year old boy all were pleased by the meal and service. The adults had the national dish of Brazil, the five year old was satisfied with his steak tips. We tried their nonalcoholic drinks, fruit based and again each was able to find something to their liking. The young man liked the strawberry based mixture, the adults a pina callada, and a blueberry based one. The staff willingly answered our questions and provided good advise. The place was very clean and well decorated. The price was right.

Date of visit: March 2015