“Go Before it Closes for good on New Year's Eve”
Review of Upstairs on the Square - CLOSED

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: JFK Street
Transit: Harvard MBTA
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We recently had dinner here, a group of 8 for a birthday party. We had not been at this "new" location, but had eaten at UpStairs at the Pudding years ago. It is very sad that the owners are going to be closing up shop for good, this coming New Year's Eve. Harvard Square will be at a loss without it as it's presence has been a constant for 31 years. The vibe and the decor are truly special, unique, one of a kind - the pink, the zebra stripes, the super fun light fixtures! I think the food is very good, well prepared, creative. And I was very impressed with the bar tender who made for me one of the best side car cocktails I have ever had (he had to check his drink recipe book, executed it perfectly). As far as specific dishes, honestly, between the 8 of us we had a very wide sampling and we were all very pleased with what was prepared. The service however was definitely spotty - we never all received our plates at one time, so we had to wait for others at the table to be served their dishes before eating. Once, one of us had to get physically up and track down a server to find out if the duck she had ordered had escaped the kitchen! But still, this is a Harvard Square institution and before it's gone for good, I hope you can go - either for the first time or to say goodbye. Being inside just makes you feel good - the lighting, the decorations, very eclectic yet comfortable. It will be missed.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Stopped in for a light lunch. Sat outside on the corner. Had their Tomato soup and a salad. Both were delicious. Service was excellent and the pricing fair. Menu for lunch is small but adequate.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Upstairs on the Square bills itself as casual dining. It was much nicer than expected. 50% of the men wore jackets but at least one man wore a t-shirt. Service was quite well done. The food was very good but also very expensive. $300 for two adults and two teenagers (3 glasses of wine). Wine prices were reasonable for the Boston market and very nice selection. We each had a different entree and a different appetizer. All were excellent. Desserts were also excellent. I was taken aback when escorted up a red painted stairway with leopard print carpet--worried that the establishment was not for the kids. The main dinning room was relatively formal and conventional, much to our relief. On the way we passed a too-cool for us middle-aged-types bar that looked inappropriate for our teenagers. I would certainly eat here again but the menu is limited. Check it out on the web before booking.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

My husband and I went there last evening to celebrate our anniversary in the Soiree Room. While service and ambience were lovely, the food was way overpriced for what was served. There is a limited menu and portions are very small. I ordered the endive and apple salad (shredded) and it was the size of the palm of my hand. A scallop risotto had one scallop barely cooked on top of risotto for $20. A Salmon entre for $30 had a piece of salmon about 1" x 3" alongside a mushroom . It's fine if you're on weight watchers or a tiny person with a bird-like appetite. We decided to pass on the $10 desserts. Too pretentious for our tastes; therefore, we will not return.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I would NEVER recommend this place. Not much selection. Food could kill you if you have hypertension. Service was slow