“Interesting Decor...Average Food”

Cross street: Portland Street
Transit: Kendall Square/MIT Station on Red Line
“Interesting Decor...Average Food”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Had dinner there tonight with the GF...it was a rainy evening and the place was pretty empty when we arrived. I was excited to finally try the restaurant as we've heard only good things. Plus, I've spent some time in Portugal and was looking forward to some more of the great food we've previously had in the country.

We did not have reservations but were quickly seated. The waitress came around soon after and brought us drinks and water. So far so good. We decided to order the small plates instead of dinners, nothing on the menu stood out, but the apps looked interesting. We ordered the salt cod on grilled garlic bread, bread and cheese, sardines, and baby lamb chops. The food was OK, not great, but flavorful. The lamb chops were raw inside and we mentioned this to the server, she apologized, and then left our table. We decided to order dessert to finish off the meal and the server assured us they were all fantastic and she had tried them all. Ok...sounds great..we ordered the lemon and Porto flan and the chocolate cake with raspberry sauce along with a couple glasses of wine. The flan was good as was the wine. Unfortunately, the cake wasn't very good, it was quite dry and the sauce bitter. We didn't finish the cake and the server asked if wanted to take it home - no thanks and we explained why. Again, she apologized and soon returned with the check.

The server didn't make any adjustments to the bill for the questionable app's and dessert. I spoke with manager and she asked 'what do you want ME to do...take it off the bill?' Uh, yeah, when you serve raw meat and dry cake I expect some type of consideration. I kindly explained that server had not even offered to make things right and she shrugged her shoulders and walked away.

My GF needed to get her coat as the hostess took it when when entered the restaurant. She was guided into a back room by the hostess who told to find her own coat...not very professional or helpful especially since we just spent more than $120 in their establishment. Needless to say, we won't be back.

• Visited August 2012

Boston, Massachusetts
“A good place to start your Portugal trip”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

The restaurant is small but it was able to accommodate our 20 people group without any issues. The staff was very efficient and helpful in selecting food and drinks that are traditional to Portugal. The timing between drinks, appetizers, main course and desserts was just right. The owner was watching the whole action from the bar and it was well choreographed. The food was definitely different and traditional. Appetizers are well proportioned in size, grilled sardines with olives and bread plus pork on skewers in dark sauce. All tasty. I personally had fish marinated in salt and then grilled, traditional to Portugal. It was well prepared but next time I'll try something different than salty fish. The pork dish that my friends had was well prepared with potatoes that had a different taste and recipe than your typical fries. The desserts are huge but I don't remember anything special and traditional. Definitely a place I would recommend to try while in Cambridge. Did I mention that parking could be a challenge ? There are maybe 10 parking spaces on the street, if you find one available make sure you play the lottery that night. The cinema parking garage is not far away (3-5 min walk) and I recommend to park there.

• Visited December 2012
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Cosy ambiance, great food, outstanding service”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I have been to Atasca a number of times for lunch, and recently met a friend there for dinner. It's a hidden gem - a quiet haven in the hubbub of Kendall Square eateries. The food is quite authentic - just like a nice restaurant one might visit in Portugal. Our server was attentive and knowledgable, and seemed to have a great knack for showing up just when we needed him (and leaving us alone otherwise.) We ended up ordering tapas-style from the appetizer menu and were delighted with every dish.

• Visited December 2012
Scituate, Massachusetts
“Festive lunch”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

True Portuguese food in a pleasant atmosphere. A very interesting menu. So many great things, we'll have to come back! And it's just around the corner from Kendall Square, so perfect for combination with a movie!

Visited August 2012
“Great Portugese Restaurant”
Reviewed June 23, 2012

If your looking to try Portugese cuisine, Atasca is a authentic and great option. I highly advise ordering tapas style and just ordering from their large appetizer list. Some of my favorites were the Walter Sampler (calimari, octopus, shrimp), and mussels and clams in a great sauce with linguica. Lastly, a bottle of Portugese wine makes the experience truly authentic. If its nice out, try to sit out on the garden as it was very pretty.