“Very disappointing!”
Review of Legal Sea Foods

Legal Sea Foods
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #53 of 627 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Elliot
Transit: Harvard Square (Red Line) "T" stop.
Description: The signature dish at Legal Sea Foods – really fresh fish. Located in the courtyard of the Charles Hotel, our restaurant evokes the simple style of the original Legal Sea Foods that was in nearby Inman Square, Cambridge. In warmer months our outside patio reels in those who choose the fresh seafood and fresh air combo. We’ve received a boatload of accolades including “Most Popular Boston Restaurant” (Zagat, 2012/2013), “Best Seafood Restaurant” (Improper Bostonian, 2010), “Best Chowder” (Boston Magazine, 2010), “Best Seafood Restaurant” (Boston Phoenix, 2009) and the honor of serving our legendary New England Clam Chowder at every presidential inauguration since 1981.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Very disappointing!”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and I invited friends to join us for Thanksgiving lunch having experienced a really good Thanksgiving lunch at the same location last year. What a completely different experience on both service and food! Our turkey meal was extremely dry and our server definitely required some experience in social graces. As a matter of fact, so did the other servers who brought us our meals. I have no idea why someone would reach across the table to put down a plate of food rather than just walk to the other side of the table. The same went for when the plates were cleared. This is basic training!

We will probably not visit this location again.

• Visited November 2012

• Turkish first
Sarasota, Florida
“Simply good fish”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I started eating at Legal when it was a hole in the wall in Inman Square, which is a few years ago. It was great then and accessible on a student budget. In the intervening decades, Legal spread to new locations like crazy. Legal is everywhere, at least in Boston/Cambridge. That said, the food is still excellent. Yes, there now are trendy preparations - "blackened cod with an exotic spice rub from Tibet" - and so forth. But, it's all good and the prices are fair. You cannot go wrong at Legal. In fact, you will go very right and be happy you at at one of the many theres that Legal now has.

Visited September 2012
Boulder, Colorado
“so yummy”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

The chowda is not to be missed. The crab cakes are superb and I'm considering ordering them to have them shipped for Christmas.

Visited November 2012
New Hampshire, USA
“Great Lunch Spot”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Had a nice salad and oysters on the half shell there recently for lunch. Server was outstanding and the food fresh and good. Would go back again.

Visited November 2012
Princeville, Hawaii
“Legal food looks so prepackaged now - lacking something!”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I know they control all the production centrally and that helps costs but the food looks packaged, now. My casserole was admittedly a lunch portion (still not cheap) but I think they should provide a snorkel mask to go in and find the two clams; five shrimp and one piece of white fish in among the filler they add. The sole was slightly better size wise, but I could see my guest looking around and underneath to find the veggies.
This is not the "legal" of old (and I admit to having 7 meals in one week there when I was in Kendall square) and I will look elsewhere.
Ambience was fine and the service was good - food came quickly, though mine had not had long enough under the grill browning and the scallops of my other guest looked like they had been ladelled on to the plate.
I will go again, but not straight away.

• Visited November 2012