“Surprising good food”

Ranked #141 of 628 Restaurants in Cambridge
Boston, Massachusetts
“Surprising good food”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Not really 'African' food but Algerian-Tunisian cuisine.
We have arrived on a weekend close to 4pm, which is their closing time, so we had to order fast. The place is relatively small and I guess that when it is full it is kind of hard to maneuver around the place. We had an Open-face tuna Sandwiches which was very good (lots of vegetables and not too spicy), and the Melkha (stuffed eggplant with feta cheese, cured black olives, scallions, parsley, spinach, gruyere cheese & lemon juice served on a bed of couscous) which was amazing. My wife ordered their sweet hot tea which was delicious. Service was OK. Could not see any restrooms (the place is very small) but maybe they are outside somewhere.

• Visited February 2013

Harrisburg, PA
“Unique and delicious”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We went to Baraka after dropping our daughter off for college. Walking in we were a little unsure--it's a tiny spot with only a few tables. The hostess, a gregarious woman in flowing Muslim attire, was very friendly and immediately made us feel welcome. We started with a carafe of the much-touted lemonade, which was indeed tasty, and shared an eggplant-based appetizer that was amazing.

For entrees, my wife had the red and white meat over potato-fries, which was quite good, and I had this odd torte full of seafood that wasn't on the menu but was praised by the hostess, who evidently made it special that day because she was inspired by a nice piece of fish. It was filling and good, but not as memorable as the appetizer. We finished the meal by sharing the chocolate torte, which was divine.

Overall a great meal, reasonably priced, in a unique environment. We'd return for sure, though next time we may get more appetizers and just share an entree. We ate at about 6:30 on a week-day and had no problems with service or timely delivery of our food. I can imagine that if you go when it's very busy it could get a little chaotic.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank ProfChump
Amherst, Massachusetts
“Something Different and Very Tasty”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We ventured here out of curiosity and we will most certainly return. The owners are from North Africa and offer a cuisine not commonly encountered here. I had the white and dark meat dish, a skewer of chicken, lamb and a spiced sausage. All were excellent and served with a generous salad and thin cut fries floating in a piquant sauce. My wife had the lamb chops and couscous, and my vegetarian daughter, the stuffed eggplant. That we passed all around the table so that others could appreciate our good fortune, gives a hint about how pleased we were.

Couple of things to know: place is tiny and popular, so go early if you can. No credit cards are accepted and no alcohol is served. (You can't even bring yours in, given the laws that obtain in Cambridge ... ahhhh Massachussetts.)

• Visited July 2012
“Big Disappointment”
Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

I was so excited to try this place, but it was really disappointing. It took 10 minutes before anyone came to talk to us after being seated. We ordered appetizers and entrees and it was another 30 minutes for appetizers and over an hour and a half for entrees. The appetizer was really tasty but I was starving by the time the entree came. Unfortunately for me I ordered a salmon dish and it was inedibly raw. I like sushi, but not like this. I didn't eat my meal, no one asked my how my uneaten food was, and I didn't want to send it back and wait another 90 minutes for food. I told the waiter who took our plates that the fish was severely undercooked when he asked if I wanted a box. To round out the night the uneaten fish cost me $22. I left tired and hungry.

Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Love this place!”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

This place is just off Central Square and has just a handful of tables. We've eaten here four or five times and enjoy the food. The portions sizes are generous and their signature lemonade is great - with rose petals floating in it. Make sure to leave some room for dessert - we tried the creme` brulee and the cheesecake and they were both delicious.

The owner is a loud, friendly Muslim woman from Tunisia and she makes you feel right at home. Also, all the food is halaal and she doesn't serve any alcohol.

• Visited February 2012