“Average Indian”

Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Troy, Michigan
“Average Indian”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Let me start by saying that this is a review of the lunch buffet only. I have learned that to get really good Indian food you must order from the menu.

Selection was limited but fairly typical for Boston area Indian. Food was good. The tandoori chicken seemed like it was sitting around too long. They had that dense dessert made from grain and it was very good. Also had the rice/milk/cardamon dessert which was ok. The highlight was an eggplant curry. I missed that they did not have the hot mango chutney. This is the third Indian restaurant I've visited in Boston. Still looking for my "regular" place. Price was $10.95 on weekend. Less on weekdays.

Atomosphere was nothing special. Place seemed clean.

• Visited December 2012

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
“Worth going to now that Cafe of India on Brattle St. has gone”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

It was a sad day when I arrived outside of Cafe of India on Brattle Street right off Harvard Square recently to discover it had shut down. I had been enjoying the wonderful lunchtime buffet there for the last dozen years or so. Some quick research found Tanjore. I was sceptical. Much less choice, not so nice looking inside (not bad but pretty average). That said, the food was pretty decent, and better than I had expected. Will I go back? For sure. Would I like them to become the new Cafe of India in the area - definitely. A bit better decor and more choice on the buffet (Cof I always had a minimum of 4 vegetarian entrees and lots of vegetarian appetiser style dishes), and this place will become the replacement for sure.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank Nicolo N
Worcester, Massachusetts
“food too salty”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

we ordered south indian combo for lunch and an entree with paratha. everything was salty (dosa, sambhar, vada, idly, entree). Maybe the ingredients were not fresh and the food was frozen. To make it last longer they put extra salt. Difficult to find a good Indian restaurant in Boston.

• Visited July 2012
“Best curry I've had in the USA”
Reviewed March 21, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by this place the food was delicious and very different from Indian cuisine I am used to at home. The service was excellent. Good value for money too.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Best Indian food in bare bones setting”
Reviewed December 15, 2011

We eat out in Indian restaurants quite often, and having been spoiled by my husband's best friend's wife's cooking, are usually resigned to lesser experiences in the outside world. Tanjore was an exception. The samosas were light in texture; the biryani was spicy but not overwhelming; and the plain nan was delicate. That's all we had, so I can't say further. But we will definitely be back - not a place of beauty or style - just for the food. Incidentally, parking being challenging in Harvard Sq., and it being a cold night, we were glad to find the parking garage next door. A small discount is provided by the restaurant.