“Fabulous”

Cuisines: Southwestern, Cajun & Creole, Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We really wish we had a Border Cafe in our town. The food and drinks are fabulous and cheap. Don't know how they do it. The tortilla chips, guac & salsa are awesome. No need for appetizers here. Service is very fast & professional. Don't be concerned by the throngs of students outside if you are a small group. As we were just 2, we were seated right away even though there was a ton of people waiting. Seems very popular for large groups of students.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

We live in Concord, NH so heading down into Cambridge is a trek for us and we like to make it worth our while. Went to the Border Cafe on Friday at about 5:00 and were lucky enough to get a few seats at the bar. Bartender Sue was so friendly and made the best Hornitos Margs! From where we were sitting we got to watch the chips being made right before they were served. The place is just fun. The smells of smoke and bbq fill the air. We had gumbo and a chopped salad to start and then shared a swordfish special that was fabulous. Regular seating is nice too, lots of tables at the windows, if you prefer it over the bar.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

I've been to the Border Cafe in the 1990's, 2000's and now 2012. It's essentially remained the same: crowded, loud (in a good way) and serving good food with great service throughout it all. It's not a sophisticated place and is not meant to be. It's a place to go hang out with friends or visiting family and enjoy a energetic Mexican ambiance.

Of particular note is the service there: either very well trained or very selective hiring, I'd rate the service a 5/5 every time.

Special Note: much like being at a BBQ with 10 mesquite grills surrounding you, something about the Border Cafe's grill smoke stays with your clothes long after you leave the restaurant. It's not an issue unless you're going somewhere immediately after or don't have the desire to air out all your clothes. I find that to be the case mostly at night, but just a heads up.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Busy atmosphere. Good food (great fajitas). Very good service with drinks being refilled just as they are finishing and before you can ask. All their margaritas are very good to excellent. I would stick to the basic margarita though as the best value for an excellent drink. Another tip. Avoid eating too many of the nack chips - if you can - because they are amazing.
This place also is an excellent choice for drinks and nachos if you enjoy busy loud atmospheres.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

This large restaurant accommodates a lot of people. You get fresh, warm chips and some pretty good salsa. I got the seafood enchiladas because of a tripadvisors tip. And I want to pass it along to you. It has a cajun favor that reminded me of Lafayatte, LA. You have got to try it. If I am ever back at the Harvard square. I know one place I'm going to go to eat! Loved it.