“Best Japanese Curry”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe Mami

Cafe Mami
Ranked #150 of 625 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian, Sushi
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
“Best Japanese Curry”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

I lived in Japan for two years, and Cafe Mami has the best Japanese Curry I've ever had. It's just the right blend of savory, sweet, and spicy. Every time I go here I always tell myself I should try one of their other dishes, but the Curry is just so good. It's also inexpensive (You can eat well here for less then $10). Seating is limited, so you'll probably wind up waiting if you come here at any time, and you'll probably be sitting next to a stranger.

• Visited November 2013

Boston, Massachusetts
“Tasty home cooking, excellent $5 lunch menu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

Cafe Mami is a great little Japanese restaurant. It only has about 6 shared tables but service is fast. I usually order the Salmon Veggie Yaki Don, which is filling and comes in a big bowl. Everything is served piping hot and tastes fresh. We reliably return again and again to Mami for a quick, healthy, homey meal in Porter Square.

• Visited August 2012
massachusette
“I love this place, good food small buck.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

I love the food here especially cutlet don and curry that the best on earth (worth money too) and don't miss green tea smooties for dessert. It's a must. The owner (TAKASUNG) and all the staff was so nice. I went there every week with my boyfriend. i recommend don't go there on lunch time and dinner time cause u have to wait and rush to eat. On a nice day get to go and eat outside would be nice too.

1 Thank sonnetteoil
All over
“My Japanese Escape”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2009

After visting japan with my fiance for a couple weeks, we developed a craving for japanese food, especially Chicken Cutlet Curry. This was largely thanks to the wonderful Coco's Curry House Ichibanya chain. After a bit of desperate internet searching when we returned we discovered Cafe Mami which had many people saying it was equally as good. When we finally tried it for ourselves we were both delighted. However, I can not in full honesty say that it was exactly like Coco's. Still, it was fantastic in it's own right. We also sampled a couple of their other entree's as well; the Tokyo Hamburg Set (which, from what I've seen, is one of they're more popular dishes) and the Yaki Don. I must admit that I was rather unimpressed with the hamurg set, as to me it was nothing more than thicker tomato soup on a ground beef patty. The Yaki Don, on the other hand, I thought was very delicous. It was slightly sweet yet savory beef on a bed of white rice.

In summation, if you're an adventerous eater or just a Coco's fiend trying to get a fix you really must try this restaurant. A word of advise though, it's a very small place and it can get quite busy. It's definitely worth the wait, but if you want to save yourself 15 minutes of standing try showing up during other than peak lunch or dinner hours.

1 Thank Bourdain_Fan
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“this is my hidden jewel...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2009

this is my hidden jewel, that i will reluctantly tell everyone about.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook