“Great introduction to Tibetan Cusine”

Rangzen Tibetan Restaurant
Ranked #138 of 650 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Chinese, Tibetan
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We discovered this restaurant under the correct conditions. Miserable wet cold winter weather. The windows of Rangzen were fogged over and the place was really warm and steamy inside from the steam tables and all of the people inside. All of the food was hot and we were immediately warmed up. The buffet at lunch time is the way to go so that you can sample a little of each of the Tibetan dishes. The problem is alway to keep from eating too much. My take on Tibetan food is that you can see some of the influence of China and India but the spicing is on the delicate side and quite different from either. The food is mountain designed to nourish you in a cold and hostile climate. We have eaten there many times. It is always excellent. The Dalai Lama eats there when in Cambridge.

1  Thank james K

Reviewed May 26, 2012

This is a small and cosy restaurant, and everything I tasted there was not just good, it was fantastic! I have eaten in many Tibetan restaurants, in Bloomington, IN, in Madison, WI, and elsewhere, but this one beats them all hands down. One reason was that it wasn't just a North Indian restaurant pretending to be Tibetan.

Reviewed January 20, 2012

Very light and fresh and GOOD!

I've heard they have a good lunch buffet too, but I've never been there for it.

Reviewed March 18, 2010

How can you beat that? $10 for an all you can eat lunch buffet. Having never eaten Tibetan cuisine before, I wasn't sure what to expect but it was quite good. Kind of a cross between Chinese and Indian food, which makes sense given where Tibet is geographically.
Anyway, all of us were impressed and agreed that we would return if the opportunity presented itself.

Reviewed September 28, 2009

Walking into Ranzen is like walking into a retreat. I find it instantly calming. I have always enjoyed the food, especially the most traditional dishes, the soups and the vegetarian dishes. Now that there are several other Tibetan restaurants in the area, I find that Ranzen has some strong competition in the areas of food and service (so slow!), but no restaurant around matches Rangzen's atmosphere.

Just fyi, I always have the urge to go to Rangzen on Sundays and Mondays, and I think they are closed both days. Call to check before making the trek.

1  Thank boston_bride012