“BBQ brunch?! Yes please!”
Review of Tupelo

Tupelo
Ranked #60 of 629 Restaurants in Cambridge
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“BBQ brunch?! Yes please!”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Brunch was divine! I got the Tupelo and my dining mates got the frittata of the day and the chicken and waffles. With 1 coffee and 1 OJ and the most amazing dessert ever, the total bill was less than $50. Not bad, right?! Plus, our waiter was a total trip, kept us entertained for sure and almost everything on the menu looked tasty, so I'll definitely be back.

But the absolute best part was the brown butter pecan pie from Petsi's topped with bourbon ice cream from Tosci's. Outstanding!

Be prepared for a little bit of a wait, even if you arrive at 11am - opening time. The wait is WELL worth it!

Visited May 2012

Cambridge, Massachusetts
“One of the Best in Cambridge”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

My most recent visit was on Fat Tuesday, for their Mardi gras celebration. Chef Rembs and his crew were slamming out delicious specials and the regular menu with precision and speed. I ordered the steamed mussels for an appetizer. You get around 15-20 mussels in a soppingly good wine broth, served with two grilled slices of french bread. I paired this with a Dixie Lager, a bottled beer from New Orleans. My main course was a special of the evening, a catfish po boy, with a side of slaw. Toasty roll, a generous portion of fried catfish, all the fixins, on a fresh toasted roll. Paired with another Dixie, it was perfect with the sounds of jazz from the live band that night. For desert, I went with the King cake, a Mardi Gras tradition, and yes, for the third year in a row, I got the baby!

Tupelo can always be counted on for delicious food, a friendly and professional staff, and a fun atmosphere. The Gumbo can not be beat. They were even featured on Diners, Drive-in's and Dives in 2012, and if you look in the background shots, you can see me!

• Visited February 2013
Memphis, Tennessee
“One of the highlights of our trip to Boston!”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I grew up an hour from Tupelo, Mississippi, and I think this place is a little confused in naming their restaurant after the small Southern town. Most of the menu is cajun/creole inspired (think New Orleans). Some of the menu is simply Southern fare, but ALL of the menu was delicious. Seriously, this chef pulls off Southern comfort food REALLY WELL. I loved the fried chicken (and I've taste-tested plenty of fried chicken!), and I thought the sausage gravy and biscuits actually beat what I get in the South. My wife and I were blown away, to be honest. The only fail was their version of sweet tea. It's disgusting. Need to try that one again, but I'll overlook it because the food was absolutely divine. Great portions, too, and terrific service. Eat here for brunch!

Visited December 2012
boston
“Yummy southern”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Scrumptious southern style cuisine with lots of special touches. Good value, good service. Some of their specialties are outstanding.

Visited August 2012
Marblehead, Massachusetts
“delicious and so pleasant”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I took my 80 year old (southern!) Mother and my 26 year old daughter here and we loved it...The server was awesome...warm, attentive and professional...the menu was inspired and original and the food was scrumptious...from the first bite to dessert and the fabulous coffee...The place is very small, but we felt unhurried and enjoyed ourselves.

• Visited September 2012