“Pricey for what you get”
Review of Temple Bar

Temple Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Temple Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #87 of 661 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Sacramento Street
Transit: Harvard Square and Porter Square Redline T stops as well as several bus routes
Description: Conveniently located between Harvard and Porter Square, Temple Bar offers a warm and welcoming charm. Accented by exposed brick, oversized mirrors, lights and booths and an oak enamored paneling, guests enjoy the buzz and excitement of Temple Bar. While waiting for a table, guests are drawn Temple Bar's unique copper bar. Alive with people, it offers guests a chance to unwind over conversation. The late night lounge scene brings a trendy and intimate atmosphere completed with Temple Bar's signature drink list. Mellow and intimate during the week and lively on the weekend, Temple Bar is a wonderful backdrop for any occasion. A detailed approach to food preparation, execution and clarity of taste from Chef Matt Drummond internationally-inspired bistro menu is punctuated with Temple Bar's broad-reaching wine list. In the evening, guests can kick back with specialty cocktails at the bar or in a cozy booth. From entrance to exit, Temple Bar gives guests an upscale experience in a refreshingly peaceful setting. Guests can enjoy complimentary parking 7 days a week. Bring the family for brunch Saturdays and Sundays, children under 12 eat for free.
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Nice atmosphere, however way over-priced. It's glorified pub food, mediocre service with a big price tag. There are plenty of other places in the area that are a much better value for what you get.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

chose Temple Bar as our place to hang on New Years Eve. Was with another couple and the four of us snagged seats at the bar. It was a great spot, the bartenders were super friendly and attentive.

The food looked great and I would like to go back and check out the dinner menu.

I would highly recommend this spot.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

My husband and I met up with another couple for dinner to wish them well on their upcoming move abroad. We had a reservation for 7pm and were seated right away. The restaurant was pretty quiet for New Year's Day. The menu had a nice selection of options in terms of both food and alcohol. We ordered the calamari appetizer at the recommendation of our server, William. The calamari were perfectly cooked, not chewy in the slightest, lightly breaded, though I wasn't a fan of the mignonette that was served along side. We also were served two types of rolls at our table, a standard soft roll and a molasses bread; both nice, though I favored the molasses bread as it had more flavor.

As a main course I ordered the steak frites. Unfortunately I have to order things on the well side lately, doctors orders, and the steak was quite tough. Hard to cut even with a steak knife. The fries were nice, but heavy handed on the salt, though the rosemary was a nice touch. My husband enjoyed his flatbread, and planned to take the second half home. When William came back to our table, he handed my husband a whole new pizza explaining he had accidentally dropped the original on the floor on the way to the kitchen. That's quite exceptional service, much appreciated.

Not sure we'll be back anytime soon, but the Temple Bar does have a lovely atmosphere inside, quite cozy. The food was okay, but nothing to knock our socks off. Great service though.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is our No. 1 neighborhood go-to restaurant. We always order the same thing: hamburger, medium rare with pommes frittes and a caesar salad. The hamburger is excellent. The caesar salad is the best we've had. Wait staff couldn't be nicer and the beer selection will get you through the even with a low-flying buzz. We have eaten here more than any other place in the neighborhood and have never been disappointed. It's not the Ritz, but it certainly fits.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

My husband and I had dinner here while visiting Cambridge last week, mainly for convenience--it was just a couple of blocks from the inn where we were staying. It's a pleasant setting, and it feels like a neighborhood hangout in an upscale but still casual way. The staff was friendly and welcoming, and service was efficient. The food was mostly decent but not great, except for the delicious oven-fresh rolls (seemed to be an olive bread). There was also good gingerbread in the bread basket. My husband had the pan-seared sea scallops, which he said were buttery in texture and tasty but missed being great because they were not properly seared. I had the mussels (listed under appetizers, but I had them bring it for the main dish), which came in what seemed like a tomato-based broth but was listed on the menu as fennel, garlic, shallot, saffron-orange broth. It tasted OK but nothing special, and the mussels were mostly small. Also, the "grilled baguette" that came with the mussels was too hard to eat, though I guess I could have softened it in the broth. For dessert we shared Mexican chocolate brulee, which had a pretty good flavor but was not warm except on the surface (I may be wrong but expected it to be warm throughout).
Overall it was not a bad choice for a convenient dinner, but we probably wouldn't go back even if we were in the area. There are plenty of other excellent restaurants there.