“I thought I was eating breakfast in a B&B in Ireland”
Review of Matt Murphy's Pub

Cuisines: American, Irish
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Reviewed January 30, 2012

You know those breakfasts you get in Ireland and Scotland with the blood sausage and the ham and two other kinds of sausages, the tomatoe and potatoes and veggies? This was just as good or better. We went there for a late breakfast on a Sunday morning. The bloody Mary's were already made and on the bar waiting for us. They only do this on Sundays and they get their great Irish products just for Sunday mornings. Awesome time, great food and the bloody Mary's were delicious.

Reviewed April 12, 2011

I think we should have taken the car trip to Matt Murphy's as an omen. We told the doorman at the Marriott Long Wharf the address. He gave the driver the wrong directions-it's on Harvard STREET, not the school. We should have been heading to Brookline Village. About an hour later, Mr. Toad's wild ride was over. At first we didn't think the pub was open as it was really dark, but we did see a flickering candle so went in.
The only thing Irish about the "pub" is its' name and the whisky, beer and coffee it serves. It no more looks like an Irish pub than my powder room. Very slick and modern looking but so dark we couldn't agree on the color of the walls--seriously. Ok, that wasn't too bad as long as the food was good. The 2008 Fodor said something about the thick slabs of bread with butter being poetic. Sorry, the slices were normal, room temp and cold butter.
As it was cold and we had been in a car for an hour we chose the oxtail soup....barley with vegetables I believe it said. We really needed a flashlight, but turned the menu to the candle instead. We get a huge serving of barley and vegetables piled in the middle of the bowl with maybe 3/4 c of broth. The veggies were no where near cooked, stir fried would have been more like it. It was hard to get the meat off the bone and some of it was very fatty. The broth needed seasoning and I left most of the pile of veggies.
We chose fish and chips--can't be too bad in an "irish" pub that Fodor said was notable for its' food. The fish and chips came out tied up in newspaper. Clever, but it would have been better if served in the newspaper cone rather than steaming in newspaper. Wrapping it up softened the crust on the fish as well as made the fries limp. The homemade catsup mentioned was very sweet & "herby." Would have been better with tartar sauce for some taste as the malt vinegar didn't do much for it either.
The best part of the meal was dessert. I had gingerbread cake with caramelized pears and caramel sauce. Pure heaven as was my husband's chocolate stout cake.
He had a beer, a 12 yr old Irish whisky and an Irish coffee--my water was just fine as I can't drink.
The service was fine, it's very small-maybe 10 tables at most, very loud rock music and the kitchen was quite visible from the banquette.....which I hate. There was a party of 5 who had been there quite a while drinking.....very loud and obnoxious. We were so close to the couple next to us we knew they were not happy with their meal either. She took a sandwich home and he hardly finished some sort of casserole. We did hear them say it was better before they "gussied" the place up. With tip our meal cost around $100 then the car which was $30. Because we had the time we took the T back to the hotel, so we weren't out another car fare. In all honesty there is no way we would ever go back much less tell anyone else about it.......I did hear about it from a PBS radio program--The Splendid Table --someone called in raving about comfort food.......i just wonder how long it had been since she'd been there.
No credit cards, by the way.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 18, 2008

My favorite Irish pub in Boston!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook