“Consistently excellent food & service, intimate setting”
Review of Salts - CLOSED

Salts
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Boston, Massachusetts
“Consistently excellent food & service, intimate setting”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

2nd time we've eaten here... it was a homerun both times thus prompting my review.

Setting & decor: Nice intimate setting - some might find the tables a tiny bit too close but it was not a bother for us. There are about 15 tables in a single room that looks like it may have previously been a residence. There is no separate bar or waiting area.

Food: Some of the best we've had in Boston. We have had the "duck for two" both times we've been here... if you eat duck, then you must get this. If you DON'T eat duck, you should still get this. Read all the other reviews to learn more about the duck, everything good they say about it is true. We also had a the special app which was a sunchoke & lobster soup, as well as the scallop appetizer with seared foie gras... would get them both again, very good. Dessert: "inside-out carrot cake" a very creative play on a classic. The wine list has a reasonable, but not massive selection. I noted there were very few California reds, mostly european.

Service: very attentive, while still giving us space to enjoy our night together... just right. We had great help with our food selections. At one point we asked our server about a foie gras appetizer we'd had on a previous visit, because it wasn't on the menu this time. She asked the chef about it and then told us if we asked for it when we made our next reservation they would have it for us. Then the chef actually came out and delivered another little treat in between courses & chatted with us - extremely nice!

Other logistics: We were 30 min late due to Boston Bruins traffic and they kindly held our table for us. (Definitely be wary of Cambridge traffic when planning your nite!) Free parking less than 1-minute walk away from the restaurant... who has that in Boston now??? It is easy to drive right by the place & completely miss it - the signage is not obvious at night.

All in all this is a favorite, would recommend without hesitation.

• Visited February 2013

Boston, Massachusetts
“Excellent food, warm but elegant atmosphere”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Excellent food in a smaller but elegant environment, professional and attentive services. The seafood was spectacular (incredible scallops appetizer), the duck also excellent (enough for 2 and even a meal afterwards). Strong wine list with nice price range and knowledgeable staff.we even found parking around the corner (Friday might at 7)

• Visited October 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“The best restaurant in Metro Boston, in my opinion”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

My parents have *very* high standards for dining (exhaustingly so!) so it's hard to find good places to take them when they visit. But our recent trip to Salts was an absolute winner. It looks unpromising from the outside (they should seriously work on the decor) but inside it's quiet and relaxing and fairly upscale. However, you come here for the food, not the decor. My absolute no-miss dishes are:
- "Soft cooked egg" appetizer: a corn and lobster bisque with chorizo and a soft egg in the middle. It is absolutely divine - totally unmissable
- Entrees - the lamb was apparently the best my dad has ever had
- Dessert - the yuzu parfait. Oh. My. Amazing. Comes with a fluff of dry ice on the top, onto which they pour a yuzu and blueberry sauce, which makes the fluff turn into granita, all on top of a yuzu panacotta. I could have eaten four.
And then you have the petit fours and declare a meal well done.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank BostonianBrit
London
“Excellent food, outstanding service”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

A small, intimate and verh friendly restaurant. The staff were outstanding - helpful, efficient . Service with a smile. The food was also superb. One of the best tuna tartars I have had - with very subtle flavours. I don't usually have dessert but could resist! Great evening.

• Visited September 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Beautiful food, that tasted just as good as it looked”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Six offs went for dinner here, and since the reviews are so mixed I wondered which restaurant we would find. Thankfully it was the terrific one!

Started with appetizers. I had the slow cooked egg which comes in a huge coffe cup filled with mousse and a host of small prices of ham, corn, lobster,. Mushroom and othe items. The egg was nowhere to be found. It was discovered halfway down the cup. The egg itself was fine, but didn't really add to the dish, I would have been happier with more of e erything else!

Other appetizers at our table were a beet salad and a nontraditional gazpacho The beet salad came looking like a painting. If shacked, it could have been displayed in a gallery. Since it was reported to be delicious, it was just as well that it was edible instead. The gazpacho was equally lovely and apparently equally good as not a drop was returned to the kitchen, in fact the dregs were sopped up using the rolls. (the rolls were very good and we are quite fussy about our bread having spent a good deal of time in France where bread is an art)

For our main I shared the duck, two folks had the cassoulet, and two the fish. The duck was sensational, although I agree that there was too much stuffing. One small quibble, we had a corner table and our back was to the table where the duck was carved. Our server did not mention there was additional duck until we just before she was ready to clear our plates. I would have had more had I been aware of the option earlier, the leg and thigh ere initially plated along with a small piece of breast. I would have had more actual duck meat (although I love the skin and it was beautifully roasted and crisp).

The cassoulet was very good, more chicken sausage than chicken. The fish was fresh and flavorful.

There was little room for dessert, the coconut sorbet was ordered and enjoyed by two.

Our server recommended a Uruguayan red wine after hearing our request for dry, full, and under $80. It was sensational and five of us killed two bottles and debated a third. (we are not a drinking crowd)

Our server was knowledgable and attentive. We would happily return.

• Visited August 2012