“Fully satisfied”

A Cambridge House B & B Inn
Ranked #5 of 21 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 11, 2009

I spent 12 wonderful nights at this B&B. I did not stay in the main, Victorian-style building, but in the next-door house. I was told during the booking that the rooms in the next-door building are not Victorian-style, and I was also reminded in the confirming e-mail. Despite the lack of the fireplace my room was excellent. The rooms were recently renovated. My room was relatively large, the bed was also good and comfortable, and there is enough place in the wardrobe to place everything. The bathroom was also nice and clean. The cleaning is also good, I was fully satisfied.

The hotel offers a continental breakfast, mostly sweet things. It is acceptable but it was a bit boring after a week. The high speed wireless internet is also included, there are several networks available, one of the them certainly works properly in any of the rooms.

The hotel is located directly on the Mass Ave which can be a bit loud. Besides the loudness the location of the B&B is quite good, it takes 7 minutes to walk to Porter square and the area is full with nice restaurants. There is also a bus (#77) which has a stop in front of the hotel and drives to Porter and Harvard squares.

In comparison with other B&B and hotels, the Cambridge House Inn offers a nice stay in Cambridge for a reasonable price. I would recommend this place for shorter or longer stays, and I will also stay here again during my next visit in Cambridge.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank viking005

Reviewed August 29, 2009

I live in Cambridge, and my mom has stayed at A Cambridge House inn multiple times. She has always had a warm welcome, cozy room, and a great stay. The rooms she's been in are on the small side, but it's just fine for the solo traveler or a couple. She last stayed in December and her room had a flat screen TV AND a fireplace!! She said that the coffee and breakfast in the morning was quite nice and relaxing (she often has an hour or two to kill waiting for me to get up and get ready :-)). However, she has always been able to get a room in the main house, and it appears that most complaints are about the other house, so I can't really comment on that.

The location is perfect for us since it is right around the corner from my house and easy walking distance to both Davis and Porter squares, but it is a bit far from the hustle and bustle of the city if you were a tourist looking to explore.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank MAtraveler01
Reviewed August 25, 2009

Upon my research for a B&B in Boston/Cambridge, I was happiest with this one but unfortuntely the weekend we travelled (date was not flexible) - it happened to be a big Harvard U weekend and their main B&B rooms were all booked up. So, we stayed in their new building next door...I relented but liked the location/price. Upon our arrival we were disappointed to find it still under renovations. While this was unsightly, we made the best of it and enjoyed the time we were there. The continental breakfast was great and we stuck around there as much as possible to enjoy the B&B feel. Great location, walking distance to the T and to Davis Square. We had a car but would have been better of taking the T into Boston to avoid the hassle of parking, etc. We can't wait to go back and stay at the B&B in the Victorian rooms!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelgal325
Reviewed January 13, 2009

I would suggest you disregard the negative reviews and go directly to their website and you will see that they tell you right up front that they offer a continental breakfast, and a good one at that. They also mention the continental breakfast when you call to make reservations. The room I had was in the main house, so I can't comment on the second building. The location is absolutely perfect for public transportation with just a five minute walk to the Davis Square train station and a ten minute walk to the Porter Square station. There's a great grocery store (and garden center) across the street, as well as a convenience store. Shops and restaurants abound on Mass Ave no matter what direction you go. If you're looking for a traditional B & B, you won't find any blueberry pancakes here, but you will find a clean well maintained comfortable place to stay. And the rates are extremely reasonable. I've just booked another stay for one week and am looking forward to another enjoyable and comfortable stay in Cambridge.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank MisterB_9
Reviewed September 5, 2008

I stayed at the Cambridge House last month for 5 nights while renovations were being done at my house. I selected the Inn because it is close to where I work in Cambridge. I had read the reviews and was a little apprehensive but went ahead & booked based upon the location. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. I had a room at the next door building on the second floor (I was told in my confirmation I would be in the other building not in the Victorian) which was just perfect. Breakfast was served in the Victorian Building each morning with an ample array of fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, bagels, pastries and more. The staff is friendly and accommodating and I would definitely recommend this Inn to others.

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank jender
Reviewed August 18, 2008

We had a wonderful stay at this property about 5 years ago, when the previous owners were in charge. The new owners apparently bought a condo style property next door and attempt to trick clients into staying there instead of the bed and breakfast that they wanted. You can see from other reviews of this property that I am not alone in this situation!
We made two reservations, one in March, which we had to cancel because of a family emergency and the second in May which we cancelled because for the second time, they booked us in the hotel property after we specifically asked for the bed and breakfast. There is supposed to be a very big difference in the experience of staying in a condo style property and a bed and breakfast. Most people I know who book a bed and breakfast do not want to stay in a condo. I certainly did not. Not only did they book us in the wrong property again, they also charged the cancellation fee on my checking account without my permission. The Cambridge House Bed and Breakfast claimed that they did not keep credit card information on file.... do NOT believe them! After they were unable to remove funds from the card we had given them for our May reservation (we had removed those funds because we had a feeling they were going to try to change the rooms again) they went back and used my checking account information that been used for our first reservation in March. They had specifically (and I have it in writing) told us that they did NOT keep that information on file and that they needed another credit card for this May reservation. I tried to get the money back from my bank, but be aware: hotels and properties such as this are legally allowed to go back into any information that they have (even after they claim they don't have it) to charge you!! At least that is what my bank told me. I am not claiming that I do not owe that money (I am still disputing it with the property owners) however, Cambridge House Bed and Breakfast should NOT have taken money out of my checking account without my permission. I will be pursuing this in small claims court as well as filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RoadTripsNewEngland
ACambridgeHouse, Manager at A Cambridge House B & B Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2008

Firstly, this issue was in dispute and was resolved by the credit card company in our favor.

Please understand this person never actually stayed at A Cambridge House under the new management so we feel the reference made to a "condo style" property next door is hearsay. In addition, we have a 48-hour cancellation policy clearly stating if the guest does not show up and does not cancel they will be charged for a one night stay per reservation. In this case the first reservation was made for two rooms, two nights each; they did not show and did not cancel. We only charged a cancel fee for one room, one night and told the person, in writing, if they re-booked at a later date we would credit that charge to their next stay. This person made another reservation, again for two rooms, two nights each and we gave them a credit towards one of the bookings as promised. Again, they did not show and did not cancel. As is our policy, we charged the valid credit card they supplied and again, we only charged for one night, one room instead of two. I would also like to add the person was specifically told prior to making the reservations, they would be in our next door, hotel-style, contemporary building as the Victorian side was fully booked and they agreed, in writing.

We encourage our guests to post honest reviews letting others know how they felt about their stay with us. Good or bad, we take them very seriously.

Reviewed April 5, 2008

If anyone is considering staying at this Inn, disregard the reviews from 2003 and 2004. As another reviewer mentioned, the Inn has recently changed management and has gone way downhill.

Apparently the breakfast used to be French toast, made-to-order eggs, and fresh coffee. Although it's still laid out in the same lovely parlor, it's now more in keeping with a motel than an inn: little oatmeal packs, supermarket pastries and mini-bagels, powdered hot chocolate (Swiss Miss), cheap juice, tea, milk, and coffee etc... and, annoyingly, no toaster.

My fiancé and I also stayed in the annex (which is two houses down from the main hotel), and, while quite large, it was very sterile and sparsely decorated, (like sleeping in your dentist's waiting room). While the hallway was boiling hot and stuffy, our room remained freezing all weekend, and there was no way to regulate the temperature. Worst of all, on our last night the roof started leaking onto the bed. Instead of switching our rooms, the manager gave us a towel for the floor, and the steady dripping kept us up all night. This for 170 dollars a night!

As another reviewed pointed out, the walls are paper-thin and the night before the flood debacle a heavy snorer kept us up from the room below. We also heard sneezing, coughing, etc, as if it were in the same room as us.

A word on the location: it takes about 30-45 minutes to walk to Harvard (if you're a fast walker) and about 10-15 to get over to the Porter "T" station. It's sort of in an ugly area (not much around... a few convenience stores and a couple dive restaurants), along a very busy street, and you can hear the traffic all day and night from the rooms.

That having been said, it's quite possible the rooms inside the house are much nicer, as I didn't get to see them. The staff was also, for the most part, nice, although as others have pointed out there were at times major language barriers with the people at the front desk.

In short, I can say, having stayed in much nicer B & B's in Europe for easily half the price, there is really nothing here to recommend.

(And to the management: I understand that you'd like to respond to some of the charges leveled against you, but it makes you sound a bit spiteful, especially when you in turn blame the guest.)

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank v0yageuse2
ACambridgeHouse, Manager at A Cambridge House B & B Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2008

First of all, we feel sorry that you were not happy with the A Cambridge House during your last stay.

One thing I would like to point out that the questionable portion of hotel style town house (5 rooms) has been closed for re-modeling. We plan to remove the central air/heating system, so the guests in each room are able to adjust the room temperature at their comfortable level. We will also add more sound proof protection between rooms, so the noise problem will be solved eventually.

Currently, the front portion of town house has just been finished 2 weeks ago (in early August). Those rooms are very stylish and beautiful. There are no more problems such as A/C, noise etc. as previous guests' mentioned. So far, all guests who have stayed there gave us very positive feed backs. If you want to see the pictures of these new rooms, please contact the front desk. We are also in the process of updating our website so you may have a chance to see a virtual -tour of these new rooms later.

About the location: A Cambridge House B&B is between Davis Square and Porter Square, and about 1.75 miles away from Harvard Square. If guests come by public transportation, Davis stop is closer, only a 5-min walk and Davis square is becoming a more and more dynamic area with tons of restaurants, live-music bars, theater, art shows etc.

For any questions about our house, please contact the front desk, we are trying our best to make your stay a pleasant one.