“Website pictures can be deceiving”

A Cambridge House B & B Inn
Ranked #6 of 21 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I'll just be blunt here. My husband and I arrived about 7 pm after a day of travel from Los Angeles. Looked is expected from the outside, but one look inside the main rooms, followed by seeing the "traditional" room to which we were assigned, well, I came close to crying. We were booked for three nights.

I can only speak for the room we were assigned, which was so small it could only accommodate a double bed or smaller. There was no dresser, and only one small desk chair. The closet was crafted from a corner of the room. The only place to put our suitcases was on top of a small refrigerator and a small nightstand-type table placed perpendicular to the refrigerator.

Not sure why we were assigned a room for the physically challenged. We are seniors, but not in need of accessible accommodations. If I was in need, this room would still be unsatisfactory. The place where wall meets floor in the shower appeared unclean and moldy. When showering, and yes, we did stay one night due to tiredness, the water flowed into the bathroom soaking the bath mat.

The room had an odor that I can only describe as faint urine.

The bed had what seemed to be a plastic liner that caused noise when either of us moved.

Here's the good thing. My husband found other accommodations, so we knew we'd be out first thing in the morning. When my husband politely, but firmly, told the desk clerk we were checking out early and why, our money for all three nights was refunded in full. I wonder if that had anything to do with the customer waiting in line behind my husband?

Room Tip: Homewood Suites is north of Cambridge House Inn about a mile or so. Though not a B&B, I've...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anna A
ACambridgeHouse, Manager at A Cambridge House B & B Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

We are sorry you were not at all happy with your room however, when you made the reservation with us in September you were told we had two buildings; one with Victorian decor and one with Contemporary decor. You selected a contemporary room. There are sample pictures of both our Victorian and Contemporary rooms on our site; our pictures are not at all deceiving. Upon your arrival and seeing the room you were welcome to speak to the front desk staff and ask if a Victorian room was available; we would have happily moved your reservation to another room. You did choose to stay the night. Yes; the bathroom is handicap accessible and is why it is quite large and the water from the shower flows towards the drain, not the bathroom area. Also, the room you were in, although not a huge room, is adequate in size which has a queen size bed, two night stands, a full-size desk & chair, small cabinet, and refrigerator as well as a closet (there is a suitcase stand in the closet).

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed several nights visiting our daughter who lives nearby. We stayed in the "contemporary" building.

The contemporary building was clean and well maintained, but lacked the atmosphere of the main B&B. Our room was quite large and had a balcony. Would have bit nice to have a "comfy" chair to relax in as there was plenty of room for it. Also, the TV is a bit undersized for the room, only a little bigger than a computer monitor. A big positive was that the room was very quiet, considering that the hotel is on Mass Ave. We were in a room on the back side of the building, so I'm not sure if all the rooms are as quiet.

Breakfast was continental style and was well stocked.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of the Contemporary building are quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Located a few miles from the City center, provided with own car park, this B & B can allow a visit to the City avoiding the heavy traffic and at the same time to Cambridge.
The MBTA underground is close to it, 300 mt not more.
Rooms are reasonably sized, the bathrooms are also large.
The breakfast, fairly complete for american B & B standards, is served in a traditional leaving room.
I recommend to reserve a room in the old building, that is the older part of the building.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank bigbang56
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The Pros: 1- on site parking, 2- establishment is clean and well maintained, 3- breakfast was pretty good, with fresh fruit, breads, cereals, and pastries - no eggs or meats, 4- the woman at the desk when checking in/out, was warm and friendly and quite helpful
The Cons: 1- our room, in the contemporary wing, was VERY small (however, I did see that others were quite large), 2- location isn't the greatest.......Parker Square is about 5 blocks walking and Harvard Square another 8-10, and Central Square another 8-10....there is very little in the immediate neighborhood, 3- 3pm check-in and 11am check-out, 4- uncomfortable bed and uncooperative a/c
Given the price and miniscule size of our room, I can't give the Inn more than an average rating.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The first night I arrived the fellow on the desk was very unhelpful and abrupt, in fact, rude. When I left, I asked him if he could call a cab for me, and he said innkeepers weren't allowed to call a cab for customers so I'd have to call me own, which I did, incurring long distance charges from my cell phone.

Because I was on a longish trip I had to go back. The second stay introduced me to a very helpful front desk person, but the room hadn't been cleaned well and there were dead bugs along the baseboard and a spiderweb in the corner. The fellow at the desk put me in a new room right away, and Andrea, the manage gave me a discount. (She's wonderful). However the place needs a good cleaning from top to bottom and certain members of the staff really need a course in customer service.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We were in town for 2 days for a baseball game. Our room, while small, was very clean with a private bath. Breakfast was more than adequate. Only a 10 minute walk to the "T". I would highly recommend this Inn.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I like to frequent Boston when we can and usually stay in the City proper. However, friends of ours recently moved to Cambridge and we wanted a place close to them so that we could celebrate New Years. The Cambridge House Inn was a compromise of charm and price. The room was comfortable but not anything special, although I must say having a working fireplace in the room was a nice treat in early January. It's a B&B so there is compromise on what would be considered modern amenities i.e. the TV was small and the bathroom equally so. However, the price and location more than make up for any defects in the room: it's a short walk over to Davis Square with plenty of great restaurants, nightlife, and a T Stop which provides access to the City.

Room Tip: I recommend staying in the original 19th Century Building and possibly requesting a room on the back...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RoyalHistoryLover
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Porter Square Hotel
#1 of 19 in Cambridge
Charles Hotel
Charles Hotel
#3 of 19 in Cambridge

Been to A Cambridge House B & B Inn? Share your experiences!