“Not worth the trouble”

Ranked #14 of 33 Shopping in Cambridge
A TripAdvisor Member
Cambridge, MA
Reviewed December 11, 2005

Harvard Square is a terrific location, full of fabulous bookstores, take a day and browse them all. But skip right past the Grolier, it isn't worth pushing the door open, even you love poetry. I wasn't all the way in the door yet when the owner asked me what I wanted. I said I wanted to look around and was told that if I took a book off the shelf, I was not to put it back under any circumstances, as I would undoubtedly put it back in the wrong place. She followed me every step I took and kept asking what I was looking for. I felt totally unwelcome and couldn't leave fast enough.

By the way, I had gone in there to look for e.e.cummings, Dylan Thomas, and a couple of other well-knowns. They had no titles by any of these poets, but had a wide range of obscure and self-published titles. Go to Harvard Books around the corner, or the Harvard Coop's huge poetry section.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed May 28, 2005

Owner is abrasive, hate-filled, and mean to customers. Browsing not allowed. There's a reason why Amazon is so much more successful...not only do they have more poetry titles, they offer friendly customer service.

For a good all poetry bookstore, visit Open Books in Seattle.

9  Thank jbredle