“Another lovely Kimpton Hotel”

Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersGold level
Brooklyn, New York
“Another lovely Kimpton Hotel”
Reviewed July 10, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Marlowe for one rainy night on our way up to Bar Harbor, but it was well worth it. We chose the Marlowe because it was a Kimpton Hotel - we've stayed at their hotels in San Francisco and Vancouver - and we love the style, the fireplace in the lounge, the wine tastings before dinner, the music in the rooms, etc. The Marlowe did not disappoint. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

The Dante Restaurant across the street was excellent for dinner. And the Marlowe is connected to the CambridgeSide Mall which made shopping very convenient. Located right across the road from the riverfront, there's easy access to the recreational trail for running or cycling. Being in Cambridge rather than Boston seems to keep the price a little bit lower but access to all of Boston is very easy by either car or T. And, of course, it's convenient to MIT and Harvard.

The room is very comfortable and stylish, in a bit of an edgy way, which we like. Call it a W Hotel without the attitude. We loved it.

• Stayed June 2006
2 Thank PDLJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed July 8, 2006

Arrived on June 29th for a 2 night stay at the Marlowe. I self parked at the adjoining garage next door. Check-in went smoothly. The gentleman at the front desk was both professional and courteous. The room itself was very clean with funky decor and almost all the amenities one could hope for. The size of the room was more than adequate and the bathroom was of average size. the bed was firm, but comfortable and the pillows average at best. The hotel is attached to a mall and a short drive away from Harvard Square. I do not, however, recommend driving around Boston. Street signs are confusing and lead nowhere and you can easily find yourself going in circles. There are still remnants of the Big Dig all over. The Lechmere train station on the green line is about a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel and leads you into Boston pretty quickly. The Science Museum is very close and easily walked to as well. The staff is very nice and will accomodate your requests promptly. I paid $200.00 a night and was quite pleased with how everything turned out. All in all I was very happy with the Hotel Marlowe and will recommend it to others who are thinking of coming to Boston.

• Stayed June 2006
2 Thank MrAbruzzo
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 6, 2006

I love the look of this hotel. The rooms are beautiful, everything about this place is top notch. The desk clerks were somewhat friendly. This hotel is in a perfect spot. the Train is close by and there is a mall attached. The only bad thing I can report is that the bed was not that comfortable.

Stayed July 2006
2 Thank Sunsmile72
Connecticut
Reviewed June 18, 2006

The kids and I loved the decor and thought it was "very cool". We were visiting the Science Museum just a 5 minute walk and only stayed one night. Originally we wanted a place with a pool for the kids but they were so tired from the museum they wouldn't have gone in anyway. I enjoyed the tea in the lobby in the morning and would have enjoyed the wine at night if we were back in time! The staff was very friendly and it was convenient that the parking garage connected with the mall. My daughter borrowed a book from the lobby library and thought it was so cool that we could use one of the computers to go on the internet. Husband loved that we were adjacent to the mall so he could get his Dunkin Donuts coffee in the morning. The kids liked the Cheesecake Factory for dinner (in the mall...I though it was just ok and not worth the wait). However dinner at the North End the next day was excellent, we stopped along the Freedom Trail. The only thing I wished we had in the room was a refrigerator. All in all a great deal booking on the internet. I forgot what we paid....around $139 maybe. Highly Recommended!

• Stayed March 2006
2 Thank monaghme
The beautful city of Hull ;-)
Reviewed June 5, 2006

What can I say?

Well, blooming marvellous would be a start. This is a top hotel, well placed and with superb staff. I stayed there for 5 nights and had an excellent time. Of note was the concierge who could not have been more helpful - helped me send a couple of items Fedex and was very organised. The rooms were spacious and well appointed and the wireless was first rate (and FREE!). There was also a business room with two free PCs to access the net if you have not got wireless.

One thing to mention is the Mall next door - accessed through a small corridor which leads into the Mall car park. You then go up an escalator and BOOM! The Apple Store - most excellent when you are ready to blow some $$$ and save some money compared to rip off Britain! I would also recommend Calumet Photographic which is just near the mall and a top place to go and get a few Canon L lenses!

The only complaint I have (being picky) is the bathroom design was pants - the door had to be shut to do anything. Apart from that I was really, really impressed with this place and would not hesitate to go back. I was orginally looking to stay in Nine Zero or XV Beacon but so pleased I stayed at The Marlowe - the price was seriously good value too!

Like a couple of people who have also written reviews, we tried the Afghan restaurant which was pretty good but not brilliant. Food in the hotel was pretty good and the bar always seemed buzzing.

So, in summary, a great hotel, very well priced and with nice people. Just book it!!
Cheers!
Jon

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
13 Thank JonMoss
Reviewed May 31, 2006

We love Kimpton hotels and the Marlowe was no exception. Our 98-lb. black lab was greeted with a sign, and a big bowl of water at the door. He was also given a new collar and some treats in the room. SO to me a hotel taht not only tolerates but welcomes my dog is above others to begin with.

Loved our room - spacious, relaxing and comfortable. The music playing when you enter is a nice touch. And yes, animal print -- but that's what makes this hotel fun....gives a bit more personality than the standard hotel room with the same color schemes going on wherever you are. I guess if you want a Marriott, stay at a Marriott....

Staff was accomodating and very helpful, they seem to enjoy what they are doing. Food was excellent. Location is good if you are not looking to be downtown.

All in all a great place to stay, and Ebony loved it too!!

• Stayed April 2006
9 Thank Karacg
Washington, DC
Reviewed May 30, 2006

I stayed at the Marlowe based on reviews on this website because I was looking for a quiet and attractive location. I asked for a quiet room away from the elevator when I made my reservation, and was given the room the furthest from the elevator which was fine with me. However, it did look as if all the rooms were pretty quiet. I found the staff to be very helpful, although I didn't have any problems that they needed to address. My room was moderate size with a fairly large bathroom. Room did have two comfortable chairs for sitting -- something not all hotels feature. Very well stocked minibar. My only complaint was about turning on the shower. It was difficult to change the water flow from the tub to the shower if you do not have strong hands. Friends staying in another room had the same complaint. Computers are available for use by guests. For dinner, we recommend an Afgan restaurant a couple blocks away, tasty and unusal. Also standard franchise restaurants in mall next door.

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank aDCtraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Royal Sonesta Boston
Back Bay
Lenox Hotel
Lenox Hotel
#6 of 83 in Boston

Been to Kimpton Marlowe Hotel? Share your experiences!