“Comfortable, friendly, and inviting hotel”

Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 11, 2009

I found the Hotel Marlowe to be an excellent place to stay on business. Everyone from the front door to the registration desk to the restaurant was very professional and warm. The room was extremely comfortable--great bed and a desk with plenty of outlets.

I asked for an allergy-free room ahead of time, and they were happy to provide a room that had been defeathered.

My only gripe was the fact one has to pay for Internet access. In this day, I don't understand a business hotel charging for something most guests would consider a necessity.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed October 8, 2009

Very nice... I love boutique hotels and Kimpton is one of my favorite chains. Hotel Marlowe is about 2-3 blocks from a T stop, which was quite convenient, and it was also attached to a mall that had a couple of chain dining establishments, which was nice because we didn't have to go too far. Plus, it was right along the river, so we had a beautiful view.

I was a little disappointed in this stay. When we went, we were looking forward to the ice cream breaks in the summer afternoons that were advertised, but were told that they ran out of ice cream the week prior. Bummer for my brother, but luckily for me, the daily Kimpton wine hour was still going on. The package I booked had a daily food credit, but we were disappointed with the restaurant. Service was slow, food was overpriced (but to be fair, it's a hotel restaurant... that wasn't a surprise) and I practically had to beg for a water refill.

But, our room was spacious, had a great view and the staff was friendly. I recommend the Hotel Marlowe... but keep your eyes posted for a deal. Rack rates would be a little too pricey for what this location has to offer.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2009

My husband and I stayed 3 nights at the Hotel Marlowe on September 30, October 1 and 2. Although it is in Cambridge and much too far of a walk to downtown Boston, we enjoyed our stay immensely. First off, it is within walking distance of one of the best restaurants in Cambridge, the Helmand restaurant, which is a FABULOUS Afghan establishment. (Make sure you have a reservation!) Hotel Marlowe is located along a canal off of the Charles River. They have kayaks and bikes FREE for hotel guests. What a great opportunity to take advantage of! We road the bikes to Harvard and toured the square. Also, the hotel is within a 10 minute walk of the orange line subway station which will take you right downtown Boston. The hotel offers a wine reception every evening from 5-6 p.m. (which we never got a chance to take advantage of) in the "living room." The concierge, the front desk, the doorman, and our maid were some of the friendliest and most efficient personal I have ever had to deal with. The room was a good size (with a view of the canal); it was clean and the bed was heavenly. The bathroom was a good size with plenty of fluffly towels and Aveda products. I really enjoyed our stay and I definetly would stay there again, if I my destination was Cambridge. I would have to think twice if most of my time was going to be spent in downtown Boston. Kudos Hotel Marlowe! Keep up the good work!!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2009

Dear Sunworshipper3,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Hotel Marlowe! I'm glad you found our staff so friendly and efficient! We're happy to see you enjoyed the comfortable room and the great amenities as well. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed September 29, 2009

Stayed at the Marlowe on 9-25-09, with my wife and 7 year old daughter. I booked the room on Priceline with the name your own price option for the ridiculous price of $109.00 (+ $22.00 in hotel taxes). Parking overnight was $20.00 in the attached Cambridge Mall parking garage, which was well lit, and directly connected to the hotel with an elevator easily accessed. The hotel was absolutely beautiful inside. The decor and furnishings were great, and the room had everything we could have asked for. The front desk staff even fulfilled our request for a room with a sweet view of the Charles River where the Duck Tour boats and crew teams were travelling by. The Museum of Science was an easy 5 minute walk from the hotel, and the Cambridgeside Galleria Mall is directly connected to the hotel and reachable either by walking out the lobby and down the block, or by simply cutting through the indoor parking garage. The mall has mostly high-end stores, but also has a CVS for your everyday needs, and a Cheesecake Factory which was fantastic for dinner/lunch but a little pricey. The California Pizza restaurant at the mall was horrible, and the large ($16.00) pizza we ordered for takeout was pathetically small and way overpriced (Not recommended). Unfortunately the PF Changs restaurant was not quite open yet, but Cheescake Factory was great. The hotel has it's own restaurant which was pricey. We ate the buffet breakfast there and it was fine. The chef was very nice, and even made pancakes for my daughter at her request. We only saw 2 dogs while at the hotel, but we are dog lovers too, so it was actually a nice treat for my daughter to be able to pet them right in the lobby. They complimentary coffee in the am was nice. We did not make it to the wine hour, but will next time we visit. The hotel location is great if you are going to be visiting the Museum of Science, or doing something in Cambridge. If you're heading to other attractions in the city, be aware that you will need to use the T or other transport because it is not exactly downtown. That didn't matter to us at all, and we will definitely be back to this great facility. The hotel is not directly on the Charles River, but it is a quick walk across the street to get to the walking/bike path along the banks where tons of people run and walk throughout the day. We grabbed coffees and took a nice walk along the river in the morning, and were amazed at how many people were out running and boating; etc. This was a great place to stay; I really cannot say enough. In closing, it has a very nice fitness center on the 8th floor. Towels, headphones, and water available with all newer equipment. Plenty of equipment for any need. No pool was the only, and I mean, ONLY negative.......

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2009

Dear goodjake,
We're so glad to hear you had such a wonderful stay with us at the Hotel Marlowe! Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review to share with other travellers. I hope we'll be seeing you back at the Hotel Marlowe soon!

Reviewed September 26, 2009

Even though it has been a couple of years since I last stayed at this hotel, I STILL talk it up to my friends when I find out they are staying in Cambridge. I know at least two of our friends have stayed there, based on our recommendation.

The facility is lovely, but the service is first-rate. I travel a lot and the level of service in a hotel is what matters more to me that the interior design. The rooms were well-appointed, but more importantly, COMFORTABLE. I rarely sleep through the night in a hotel, but I did there.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2009

Just back from Cambridge after staying at the Hotel Marlowe during a volleyball tournament in the Cambridge area. The Hotel Marlowe was our host hotel.

As a hotel I would be happy to stay there anytime but the best part to me was just how helpful and nice their staff were. Always ready to answer a question with an honest smile. I had to go to the front desk a few times asking for things on my way in and out of the hotel and they were always quick to respond and that is what u hope for when staying somewhere.

We didn't try the restaurant.

Parking as simple and one of the best parts was that the hotel is attached to the galleria so we were able to pop over there for breakfast int he food court in the AM before we had to head out for the day.

As for location, it was fine. Boston is a drivers city it would seem but we were really only about 2.5miles from our facility. I could have walked it there and back.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2009

Dear SaintlyNYC,
Many thanks for the review of your recent stay with us at the Hotel Marlowe. I'm thrilled to hear that while you enjoyed our facility, it was the staff that really shined and made your stay more enjoyable. I hope we'll be able to welcome you back again!

Reviewed September 13, 2009

I had one of the best hotel experiences at Hetel Marlowe. It is a full service hotel where the staff strive to meet every need. From offering a coffeemaker upon demand to the Aveda hotel toiletries to offering a pillow menu to meet individual needs, they try hard to make each stay comfortable. I cannot speak highly enough about the hotel conceirge who works the late shift. I believe his name is Justin. He listened to what we wanted and recommended just the right spots for dinner and drinks each night. Excellent recommendations!
The hotel offers coffee and tea in the mornings and wine in the afternoons (4-6 weekdays and 5-6 weekends) in the lobby.
We left some items in the hotel and assumed we would never get them back. I called the hotel the afternoon we left and they sent them to me via FedEx the next working day. I was very impressed.
The only downside related to this hotel is the distance from Boston. The train station is about 10 minutes away from the hotel and the train takes 20-30 minutes to get to the city center. Otherwise, a cab is $15 or more each way.
Expect to pay about $30 for a cab to/from the airport and assume it will take about 10 minutes.
**While in Boston, check out the open air market (Tues and Fri) just outside the Copley Square train stop.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Kendall Hotel
Back Bay
Lenox Hotel
Lenox Hotel
#6 of 84 in Boston

Been to Kimpton Marlowe Hotel? Share your experiences!