“Excellent Honeymoon Stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
Roll Tide
“Excellent Honeymoon Stay”
Reviewed May 26, 2009

We have enjoyed other Kimptons in the past and this was no different. This hotel was amazing!! After booking with them directly (using their best rate guarantee over the phone) and emailing the concierge, we had a reply back within a matter of minutes from Michael, the front office manager, congratulating us and informing us that he had taken the liberty of upgrading us to an Executive Suite. The suite was huge (over 600 sqft) and overlooked the Charles River. When we got in, we found that they had left us a box of truffles and champagne on ice for the occasion as well, accompanied with a note of congratulations from the concierge. There was a nice sitting room with wet bar area, pull out sofa couch, desk with chair, and sitting chair, along with a nice large flatscreen TV. Two pocket doors led into the bedroom which had a King bed, nice chaise lounge and another flatscreen TV on the dresser. The decor, while on the wild side with leopard print carpet and faux mink bed garnishes really worked for us and felt very home-y. Every light in the place was on a dimmer. The bathroom was fabulous as well...a huge two person jacuzzi, separate stand up shower, and vast amounts of counterspace with entrances from both the living room and bedroom, both with their own pocket doors. The hotel itself has an ample amount of common areas with a cozy living room.
The hotel is a 5-10 minute walk to the Lechmere T station at the end of the green line, which is on a convenient path to the North End, Downtown, Back Bay, and even Fenway. After inquiring with the concierge about the 7 day T passes, he handed me two passes that had been returned by departing guests that had 5 days left on them. The hotel just saved us $30...nice!
We also made use of the tandem kayak, which the hotel offers complimentary for guests (they have singles and bikes also). Two of the guys working the front desk hauled it over to the canal for us and told us to just tie it off and leave it after we were done and they would get it later. We did just that and then informed the front desk that it was tied up but not locked. 45 minutes later we left for dinner and it was still there. An hour and a half later, we were back from dinner, and...you guessed it...still there. We decided to schlep it back ourselves, at which point the front desk staff was very apologetic for dragging their feet.
Honestly, the only knock I can think of regarding the hotel was the lack of doormen presence and how often we had to open the door ourselves. But let's be real...this is not a big deal and if that the only criticism I have, then all in all it was a first rate experience.
During this trip, we stayed at the Marlowe, the Mandarin Oriental in Back Bay, and the Nine Zero Hotel (also a Kimpton), and this was our favorite experience.
In fact, we have decided to name our new Boston Terrier Marlowe.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2009
Dear pickles1107,
We wanted to express our congratulations to you once again, and thank you for sharing your wonderful stay with all of our TripAdvisor readers! I hope you'll bring little Marlowe back on your next trip to see us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Hebrew first
UK
Reviewed May 17, 2009

The hotel and room décor has been described many times in these reviews: I thought it was fine (I wouldn’t particularly want to copy it in my own house, but I thought it was great in the hotel – a bit quirky, yet stylish and tasteful - in both the public areas and in the room).
We had some reservations about the ‘pet friendliness’ aspects – However, apart from a welcome notice and a bowl of water and dog biscuits outside the main door, and seeing a couple of dogs on leads in the lobby, we did not see or hear any other evidence of the presence of pets! (I had asked for a pet-free room because of allergies.)
We booked a “view room” which promised a “Charles River or Canal view”. In our case, this was a canal view, directly overlooking the pleasant little park area between the hotel and canal; however, I was a bit disappointed that the view beyond that was mainly a rather uninspiring large brick building and certainly no notable ‘skyline’.

The room and bathroom were very clean and well-maintained. The in-room facilities were as expected – including free wireless, a safe, iron and ironing board, hairdryer and bathrobes (no slippers). There was no tea/coffee making facility in the room. However, complementary morning coffee was provided in the lobby (and of course you could take this back to the room).
The toiletries provided in the bathroom were nice, but there was no plastic shower-cap provided (and nor did this appear on their list of things that could be provided on request – although I didn’t actually ask).
My only significant complaint about the room was the shower. This was a fixed-head shower over the tub. There was a control on the shower head for altering the type of flow (from ‘soft’ to ‘massage’), and obviously a control to adjust the temperature; but no control for altering the rate of flow (i.e. it was either on or off, but it wasn’t possible to turn it down from a high rate of flow to a trickle). Unfortunately, the tub in our room didn’t drain fast enough to keep up with the rate of flow of water in from the shower – So after just a few of minutes showering, I was standing in a couple of inches of water. After the first night, we asked them to look at the outflow from the tub – they sent somebody up to do something, but it didn’t make any difference. As a matter of personal preference, I found this very annoying (I don’t like water pooling round my feet in my shower) – However, to be fair, my partner noticed the same thing but wasn’t bothered by it.

We used Bambara restaurant/bar just for drinks and, on one occasion, a light lunch. Quality & service seemed good.
However, we didn’t have breakfast in the hotel, as the menu seemed expensive and a bit complicated. (Items were listed separately - e.g. $5 for 'cold cereal', and $11 for 'continental' which appeared to consist of a selection of fruit and 'croissant or muffin' - and prices were not listed for drinks, so not sure if tea/coffee/juice was included or extra.) I am used to seeing all-inclusive ‘breakfast buffet’ options in hotels, but this didn’t seem to be an option on offer on this menu.

I agree with other reviewers that staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful – Although, in this class and price bracket of hotel, I think I would be disappointed if they were not!
A long-distance (within USA - not international) phone call from the room proved to be very expensive ... I guess we should have checked the prices first, but we hadn't realised it was long-distance and thought it was a local number!

We thought the location was excellent as a base for sightseeing. It is in a pleasant area, right next to the Cambridgeside Galleria (indeed, joining it – if you don’t mind walking through the car park – but we preferred to walk the very short distance outside to the main Galleria entrances). The Galleria has a Food Court with various outlets (including Au Bon Pain – good for breakfast), and restaurants (California Pizza Kitchen and Cheesecake Factory – also both visited and recommended), as well as a range of shops. Just outside the Galleria, on the Canal, is also the starting point for the Charles Riverboat Company cruises. (We did their ‘Boston Harbor & Locks Tour’ and the ‘Charles River Tour’ cruises – Both highly recommended). It is a reasonably short walk from the hotel to either the Lechmere or Science Museum T stops; and there also seemed to be taxis constantly available right outside the hotel door.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2009
Dear ABear,
Many thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review for all of our guests to read. We appreciate the compliments and suggestions alike, and I'm glad you enjoyed your experience at the Hotel Marlowe. I certainly hope you'll be back to visit us again in the future!
washington D.C.
Reviewed May 15, 2009

We stayed at The Marlowe for 3 nights. We chose it based on reviews and the hotel website. We did wonder if being on the Cambridge side of the river would be a problem but this was not the case. Close to the Metro or walk into Boston ,plentiful taxis when the children were tired.
As with all hotel choices we went in with an open mind and that it may not live up to the hype! However the Marlowe did not disappoint. The hotel has good facilities, including free internet and a gym, and character ( a bonus with so many generic hotels around). The staff were superb, so helpful, from the doorman to front desk to the dining room. When we could not find the hotel copy of Make Way For The Ducklings ( lifted by a previous guest) the staff went out and purchased one for the next day, as 'you can not do the statues without having read the story.' The complementary happy hour is a nice touch and the magician on one night was excellent the children loved the balloons he tied for them.
The rooms were really clean, a good size and quiet, and the children loved the plush robes just for them.
It was a perfect base for our Boston visit. We will definitely use Kimpton Hotels again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Dear bennfam,
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us! I'm so glad you found the hotel a great destination for your family visit, and that everything was comfortable and convenient. I hope you'll be back to visit us again the next time you're in Boston!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2009

My partner & I stayed at the Marlowe over New Year [in the middle a heavy snow fall!]. Hotel, room and staff are all excellent combining high standards, good facilities and modernity with traditional service, friendliness and some nice character features. Complementary evening wine tasting is a nice touch. Location is handy for the Boston Metro [light rail service] and is only a short cab ride from both downtown Boston and Cambridge. The shopping mall which adjoins the hotel is handy for picking up anything you may have forgotten [e.g. a hat for the -20C winter temperatures!] or having a quick/cheap meal. One comment we feel may help clarify comments made on both the hotel website and the reviews below: describing the hotel as “contemporary” may be a little misleading to UK/European eyes: sure the hotel is bang up to date technologically and has good facilities with a few nice “quirky” design touches but it is not “cutting edge” in terms of contemporary design as one would find in many European or Asian boutique hotels [e.g. minimalist a la Phillipe Starck]– this is not meant as a criticism- we loved the hotel, rather it is just a point of clarification for non-US guests.

Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KL_Sue
USA
Reviewed May 8, 2009

I stayed here for week in April with my dog. My dog received the warmest welcome with plenty of biscuits and water as soon as we arrived. Check was easy, rooms are comfortable and stylish. Mini bar prices were rather reasonable and the bathrooms are stocked with Aveda products which I love. Breakfasts at Bambara were great very nice fruit plate however, I typically grabbed dinner at the mall which is a few minutes away or at Cheesecake factory attached to mall. Lechmer T stop and museum of science very quick walk away. Bell man very friendly, overall a terrific stay.

Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank hotel2006av
Rio Grande
Reviewed May 3, 2009

Excellent rooms and friendly service. Motel Marlowe has a wine hour from 5-6 every night which is free, my Husband and I enjoyed this a lot. Hotel Marlowe is close to the science meusum, the gallery mall and train station. It is decorated in comtemporary and modern themes. Although We enjoyed our stay very much, the parking was rather pricey but hope to return soon!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LunaBells6
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2009
Dear LunaBells6,
We appreciate you taking the time to review your stay with us at the Hotel Marlowe. I'm glad you enjoyed all of our great amenities, especially the nightly wine hour! I'm happy to see the location was convenient as well. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Cambridge!
Boston, MA
Reviewed April 29, 2009

I have stayed at The Hotel Marlowe many times - my stays have varied from one night to one week. It is definitely my hotel of choice when I need to stay overnight in Boston.

Bellman and front desk staff have been consistently gracious and helpful.

Valet parking is most convenient but more expensive that the parking available in the adjacent mall. Since somewhat of a walk is required from the mall parking lot to the hotel, I prefer valet parking.

The spacious rooms are decorated in a chic style. Views from rooms to Boston and Charles River are lovely.

Minibar is well stocked with a wide variety of treats.

While I have not taken advantage of the in-room spa services I plan to in the near future.

This hotel is pet friendly which is a huge plus for me. While I have yet to travel with any of my dogs it is nice to know that I can stay in a luxury hotel in which both me and my pet will be welcome. Dog biscuits and a water bowl are available as soon as you arrive.
More dog biscuits are available at check in.

I recently stayed at the hotel and had mentioned to the front desk staff that I was coming back to stay overnight after the Red Sox v Yankees baseball game. Much to my surprose and delight, the concierge had left me a Red Sox hat as well as some Sam Adams beer for my baseball themed stay. WOW!

Room service is delicious. My favorites are the grilled cheese sandwich and the risotto - both excellent comfort foods.

Breakfast in the restaurant in the morning is excellent and fast.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Royal Sonesta Boston
Back Bay
Lenox Hotel
Lenox Hotel
#6 of 83 in Boston

Been to Kimpton Marlowe Hotel? Share your experiences!