“Sumptuous Marlowe”

Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 1, 2008

Just had a wonderful 6 nights at The Marlowe Hotel, Cambridge, Massachusetts.

The hotel is ideally located, being joined to the Cambridgeside Galleria shopping centre, which has a more than adequate food court if you do not wish to avail yourself of the hotel restaurant. The common parking area means you can securely leave your vehicle at any time to enter the hotel without facing the elements. The hotel is five minutes walk from Lechmere T Stop from where the centre of Boston is a $2 10 minute ride away. (A day pass costs $9).

The double double room was immaculate and well appointed and of a size suitable for a family of three/four to stay for a full week. The housekeeping service was excellent and all the staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. Service requests were dealt with accurately and swiftly.

The public areas of the hotel were similarly immaculate and the complimentary tea/coffee in the morning and the evening wine reception added to the overall ambience.

I would recommend this highly for anyone but particularly families touring Boston. The corporate guests we encountered seemed to be similarly impressed.

Overall a great time.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (2,112)

Reviewed October 27, 2008

Hotel Marlowe is fantastic! When I first started researching hotel rates in Boston I quickly became disheartened with finding something affordable and close to the city. Then we found Hotel Marlowe and not only would I go back, I definitely will be back!

Room was clean, staff friendly, decor unique and the dedicated access into the Cambridgeside Galleria mall was a nice convenience to have.

Bambara, the restaurant downstairs does have excellent food in generous portions even if a little pricey; entrees start at $16 and go up to $32. Then again, that isn't completely out of context with other area eateries like Legal Seafoods. Other close-by food places include a Cheesecake Factory in the Galleria mall and around the corner on 1st St. is an Afghan restaurant called Helmand.

The hotel is just a couple of blocks away from the Lechmere station on the green line, across the road from the St.Charles river, there are always cabs in the drive and with it being Boston you can walk anywhere pretty quickly!

Pleasant surprises: dogs truly are welcome [see the pic], there are kayaks for rent and you may find animal print robes [for purchase] in your closet!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Ziplocfan
Reviewed October 26, 2008

Columbus Day weekend we decided to go to Boston for a few days. After much googling, Hotel Marlowe was our choice, and what a choice it was!! From the moment pulled our vehicle up to the front door we were made to feel so welcome. Valcon (sorry if I got the name wrong) was so friendly when he greeted us and immediately we knew this place was going to be awesome. The front desk employees, concierge, housekeeping, room service waiters, wine reception employees...EVERYONE...went above and beyond the call of duty to please us. The hotel is conveniently located to the Green Line which is just a short walk and cab fare into downtown Boston was only $8. Room service here was awesome with the temperature of food perfect when delivered and the self-serve minibar was very well stocked with top-shelf products. The decor is so unique with leopard bedding. Don't forget to attend the 5-6 p.m. wine reception in the living room where the guests come to mingle. There's red and white wine and a great Harpoon Oktoberfest was the beer of choice that weekend. Oh and one last thing, Kimpton properties are pet-friendly and Droopy, our bassett hound, will be joining us in January when we stay at the Hotel Marlowe for our one year anniversary.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Helloooooo
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2008

Dear guest,
I'm happy to see you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the Hotel Marlowe! I'm glad you were able to take advantage of all the great amenities, and that the hotel location was convenient for getting around Boston. We appreciate your review and look forward to welcoming you (and Droopy!) back with us in January.

Reviewed October 7, 2008

Myself and a friend, both young single women; stayed at this hotel in August 2008 while vacationing in Boston and going to see the Celine Dion concert. I had called the hotel directly to book the room and was offered a very competitive rate, considering the other hotels in Boston were very expensive.

We were happily surprised with this hotel. From the moment we walked in, we were offered a glass of wine (cocktail hour) which was very much so appreciated after a long day of driving. There was no problem checking into our room. The hotel lobby is beautiful, and so is the room. Big windows; lots of space; beds were comfortable; mini bar; nice bathroom. I really have no complaint about the hotel.

The staff were great; always quick to suggest different places to visit, restaurants to eat at or clubs to go out to at night. Justin at the front desk, in particular, was fantastic with his assistance.

The cocktail hour was a really nice touch. Free wine, beer or pop for an hour, while you get to sit around, chat, meet and socialize with people staying at the hotel from around the world. It was great.

If or when I return to Boston, I will stay at this hotel again without a doubt.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2008

Dear Catherine27,
We appreciate you taking the time to review your stay with us. I'm happy to see the spacious rooms and friendly staff helped you enjoy your stay. I hope the Celine Dion concert was great, too! The wine reception is always a guest favorite, and I'm glad you were able to relax and meet other guests there during your stay. We look foward to welcoming you back next time!

Reviewed September 30, 2008

My family stayed four nights at the Hotel Marlowe and loved our stay. From the Kids Pack presented to my daughter on arrival, the child-sized robe, the free bike hire, the evening drinks and the complimentary access to the Observatory across the road, the Hotel has thought of everything.

Although the decor might not be for everyone, my daughter loved the plush room and the downstairs lounge. We really enjoyed coming back to our hotel at night and having a drink in the lounge. A nice touch.

We hired bikes - all in great working condition and with helmets - and rode along the Charles River. really beautiful.

The staff were extremely welcoming. The room was wonderfully quiet. Parking was extremely easy in the carpark next door. The location of the hotel was very convenient. Lovely being able to walk out the door onto the river or stroll next door to the Shopping Centre. Close to the train as well.

All in all, we thought this was a great value luxury hotel. Perfect for families.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2008

Dear FamilyofthreeSydney,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. It sounds like you had a fantastic time! I'm glad to see you took advantage of the amenities offered, including the wine receptions and the complimentary bikes. A nice ride along the Charles Rive in the fall is a great way to see the city! We hope you'll decide to stay with us again in the future. Until then, happy travels!

Reviewed September 25, 2008

I am unsure, what some of the previous reviewers are on about. This hotel has nice, comfortable, clean and stylishly decorated rooms. You want real leopard fur? Then go book a suite in a hotel for $3000, not $300.
The hotel is conveniently located just across the bridge from downtown Boston. We were visiting for one day and did all of the sightseeing in Boston by foot, except for the visit to Harvard. The hotel is equipped with complimentary wireless internet, which is a nice and unusualy thing, considering the size of the hotel. The whole stay turned out to be pretty nice, we especially loved the unusually decorated rooms. There was one large downside to it, however. In the aftermatch, I probably wouldn't consider it such a large thing, hence the rating 4/5, however at that time, it was the very first experience I had with the hotel and it was very unsatisfying for its price class: The doorman/Valet parking chef.
First of all, maybe I was a little influenced by clichés, since he was Italian looking and had an accent. However, when we pulled up to the hotel to check-in, he demanded he had to keep our car keys while we were checking in "just in case he had to move the car". We were reluctant, because this is not something I had experienced before. Anyway, since he kept repeating that it was the hotels policy, we gave him the keys. The second we stepped into the hotel, he got into our car and pulled it up to the next wall. There was absolutely no reason to repark, there was enough space for everyone and no other guest were arriving (it was ~10:00 PM), so he had lied to us about why he wanted the keys. He then proceeded to ask whether or not we wanted valet parking and when I didn't reply at once, he continued to offer me "something between self and valet parking", namely "parking in his space" right across the entrance, but only if we were sure we'd depart early.
Again, forgive me if it was for clichés, but it looked like he wanted to make a parking deal with us, which didn't have anything to do with the hotel itsself. He didn't mention any prize, but instead acted like this was something to be done underhand. While I was thinking, still confused, he ended up helping another guest with his luggage and disappeared into the hotel, with me assuming he still had out car keys. So I went after him because I finally decided this was shady and I was going to self park. I asked him for my car keys and instead of giving them to me, he told me "he'd be right back", so I demanded them again, possibly in a little aggrivated voice. He then got very angry and pointed me to his small desk, where I'd be able to find the keys. Indeed I did and parked the car.
This guy is inacceptable for a hotel in this category. I suggest they get a new valet parking chef :)

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank dschamboumping
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2008

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent Hotel Marlowe visit. I'm happy to see the majority of your stay went well, and that the location and decor of the rooms was to your liking. I wanted to apologize for the trouble you experienced with the valet attendant, and assure you that we will be looking more closely into this incident. I do hope you'll choose to stay at the Marlowe again in the future when you visit the Boston area.

Reviewed September 17, 2008

We really enjoyed our stay, and next time we're in Boston, will definitely stay at the Hotel Marlowe again. The Hotel has really funky decor and a very friendly, accommodating staff. The room was comfortable and clean, and had lots of the amenities of a more expensive hotel. The room was not large (ours had 2 double beds), but we didn't go to Boston to spend time in a hotel room! It's in a nice part of Cambridge, across the street from the Charles River and one of the most fantastic views of downtown Boston. (This view is not visible from the hotel; you need to cross the street to access the promenade along the Charles, but it's very close and worth the 5-minute walk). The hotel advertises that pets are allowed, and although we saw several dogs, there was no barking or additional noise at all. If I hadn't see them in the lobby, I would never have known they were there. We have a dog and didn't bring it, but when we mentioned her to one of the employees at the front desk, she gave us a "doggy" bag of gourmet treats for our dog, which she loved.

The hotel is conveniently located near the "T," Boston's public transportation, and right next to a mall. In fact, the hotel is connected to the mall through a corridor, which is great if it's raining, which it was while we were there. The mall was great for getting last-minute things; we were able to go to CVS and pick up what we needed, and like any mall, also had a range of inexpensive restaurants to choose from. We also parked there during our stay, which was cheaper than the hotel's valet parking, and since the mall is connected to the hotel, it almost feels like it's part of the hotel. In the mornings, complementary tea and coffee is available in the lobby. Coffee was delicious and I drank it at one of the benches set up next to the hotel by a canal, which I guess is part of the Charles. It was a nice way to start the day. We really enjoyed our visit, and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank mogo2
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2008

Dear mogo2,
It sounds like you had a fantastic stay! We appreciate your review, and we hope that you will stay with us again when you next visit the Boston area. Be sure to bring your four-legged friend next time!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Kendall Hotel
Downtown
InterContinental Boston
Le Meridien Cambridge - MIT
#11 of 19 in Cambridge

Been to Kimpton Marlowe Hotel? Share your experiences!