“Location, service and atmosphere”

Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Great place to stay, quality is everywhere. Walking distance to downtown Boston (15 mins), close to a museum not to far from the Cambridge highlights. The staff was very attentive and everything is always clean and neat. Service at the bar wasn't as good as the hotel staff, but they have alot of choices. If you can swing it stay here, and take a leisurley walk down to Quincy market.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
MarloweGM, General Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Thanks for the great review...I agree that walking to downtown Boston is the best option! Thanks for sharing!

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Marlowe Hotel

Reviewed June 20, 2014

I stayed here for one night for business and was totally pleased. The staff was friendly and efficient, the rooms were very nicely kept and roomy and the general "perks" were vey nicely done. The WIFI worked very well. Having coffee available in the morning in the lobby was a very nice touch, and the doormen and desk staff were very prompt and friendly. I would definitely stay there again, and likely will!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

I appreciate it! It's hard to argue with excellence, so thanks for pointing it out!

Reviewed June 19, 2014

I was surprised to see an earlier review in which the writer reported a doggy smell. We've been here twice before, once with our dog, and on neither occasion was our room anything other than spotless and fresh. Pet rooms are on a specific floor, so unless there was a booking issue, I'm surprised there was an odor. Our room on both occasions was exceedingly comfortable, and the only thing we would have wanted was a little more drawer space to store our clothing. Our dog had her first ever hotel visit at the Marlowe, and she loved it. Location is great, with shopping and restaurants in the mall next door, plenty of walking areas for the pooch, and a cozy ambiance in a hotel with all the amenities. Pluses for pet owners are that there aren't any extra fees to have a pet stay with its family, and there isn't the common requirement that pets must be with their owners at all times. The staff will request a cell phone number in the event that a pet left in a room causes a disturbance, but that's certainly reasonable. There were dogs in adjacent rooms who occasionally barked during our last stay, but we only heard them if we were walking down the hall past the room, and never heard anything while we were in the room. The hotel provides pet beds and dishes for food and water in the rooms, and also has pet treats in the lobby, along with waste pickup bags. The staff overall is superb, from the door person to the housekeeping staff.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mindracer

Thanks for sharing! We pride ourselves on clean rooms and great service, so I appreciate that kind words!

Reviewed June 10, 2014

I tagged along on my husband's business trip to Boston and stayed at the Marlowe for a couple of days. I was working remotely so was in the hotel a fair amount of time. It's a lovely space and the service is wonderful.

The location is great if you're a runner. It's across the road from the Charles River and the trail is beautiful. This is certainly a runner's hotel. There are running maps in the room and on Wednesday and Friday mornings there is a group run with the manager. I'm sorry my dates didn't correspond to take advantage of that. When I returned from my run one morning, the doorman handed me a bottle of water and a towel. How nice is that?

Galleria Shopping Mall is also right around the corner from the hotel. The food court has an outdoor patio overlooking the water, which is a nice spot for a quick lunch.

The rooms are clean, well-appointed (complementary yoga mat and bathrobes) and served me well for working at the desk most of the day. The 5 p.m. wine tasting and refreshing beverages throughout the day in the lobby are nice touches.

Overall, staying at the Hotel Marlowe was a nice experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Deborah Z
MarloweGM, General Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Well this is great, thank you for sharing! As one of those managers that runs a couple mornings a week, I couldn't agree more about how great running around the Charles is! Thanks for staying and pointing out some of the cool things that we do.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

I stayed two nights on business and had an enjoyable experience. Join the loyalty program in get $10 credit at bar or minibar. The front desk staff were incredibly friendly. The restaurant was fine, food made well an price ok. The property sits right off the river and not far from MIT. As a result there are some great places to walk, jog, bike. A bit of a hike to local restaurants but a short taxi ride.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank ChristineW88
MarloweGM, General Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Thanks for the great review! Glad you were able to enjoy some of the "wellness" activities we have the Marlowe....we offer kayaks too!

Reviewed June 7, 2014

The Lobby area is very romantic and beautifully appointed with unusual furniture and a fireplace. The rooms and toilets are very clean. However, this hotel allows dogs and I realized this only upon check in. As soon as we came out of the elevator to our floor, we were hit by a strong “doggy” smell. The pillows also had the same pet smell. This is a deal breaker and I forgot to mention it when I wrote the original review because I was writing a lot of reviews that day. 2nd grievance is the bathroom: it is a squeeze with the huge door squeezing one between the toilet seat and bathtub.... also the knob on the tap in the tub that redirects water to the shower is very awkward to use and I broke my nail trying to pry it up. The next grievance is the bed: awfully lumpy, sagging limp mattress topper and limp pillows. Even my husband commented on the bed (he never has a criticism handy usually- very unlike me !)

Parking garage is right next door. They gave us a free night of parking ! Thanks . Also provides lots of complimentary things that one forgets to take when rushing out the door to catch a flight : like static spray, nail clipper, tweezers . They also promised to go get anything else that a guest might want ! Unfortunately the one and only thing I really really needed , tweezers, they were all out of. And no one offered to go get one either. Empty words.

A different kind of hotel, if you don’t mind the dog smell, saggy mattress and limp pillows. At more than $200 a night , I will look else where next time.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank ainjibi
MarloweGM, General Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Thanks for sharing your experience and the 4 out of 5 rating. Your comments about the pet smell is definitely not something we hear....ever. In fact, it's usually the opposite so I will personally address your concerns with our housekeeping team. The mattress too, I think the featherbed needs some fluffing which we will do right away...thanks for pointing that out. And yes, if you forgot it, we got it..or (hopefully) we will go get it. Sorry we dropped the ball on this one, won't happen again.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

A superb hotel conveniently located in Cambridge on the Charles River. The rooms are small but lovely. The staff is friendly and accommodating. The restaurant and bar are the perfect stop for lunch or the end of the day. The location is very accessible to MBTA, shopping, sightseeing, and a short 15 minute taxi to/from Logan Airport. Nice pull-in parking that is off the street and out of the way of Boston traffic. You simply can't go wrong!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
MarloweGM, General Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

If you simply can't go wrong, then we must be doing something right! Thanks for the great feedback!

joe.capalbo@hotelmarlowe.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Royal Sonesta Boston
Lenox Hotel
#6 of 84 in Boston
Charles Hotel
#3 of 20 in Cambridge

Been to Kimpton Marlowe Hotel? Share your experiences!