“Nice place, friendly staff”

Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersGold level
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Nice place, friendly staff”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I stayed two nights on business and had an enjoyable experience. Join the loyalty program in get $10 credit at bar or minibar. The front desk staff were incredibly friendly. The restaurant was fine, food made well an price ok. The property sits right off the river and not far from MIT. As a result there are some great places to walk, jog, bike. A bit of a hike to local restaurants but a short taxi ride.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank ChristineW88
MarloweGM, General Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Thanks for the great review! Glad you were able to enjoy some of the "wellness" activities we have the Marlowe....we offer kayaks too!

Thanks,

joe.capalbo@hotelmarlowe.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Hebrew first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 7, 2014

The Lobby area is very romantic and beautifully appointed with unusual furniture and a fireplace. The rooms and toilets are very clean. However, this hotel allows dogs and I realized this only upon check in. As soon as we came out of the elevator to our floor, we were hit by a strong “doggy” smell. The pillows also had the same pet smell. This is a deal breaker and I forgot to mention it when I wrote the original review because I was writing a lot of reviews that day. 2nd grievance is the bathroom: it is a squeeze with the huge door squeezing one between the toilet seat and bathtub.... also the knob on the tap in the tub that redirects water to the shower is very awkward to use and I broke my nail trying to pry it up. The next grievance is the bed: awfully lumpy, sagging limp mattress topper and limp pillows. Even my husband commented on the bed (he never has a criticism handy usually- very unlike me !)

Parking garage is right next door. They gave us a free night of parking ! Thanks . Also provides lots of complimentary things that one forgets to take when rushing out the door to catch a flight : like static spray, nail clipper, tweezers . They also promised to go get anything else that a guest might want ! Unfortunately the one and only thing I really really needed , tweezers, they were all out of. And no one offered to go get one either. Empty words.

A different kind of hotel, if you don’t mind the dog smell, saggy mattress and limp pillows. At more than $200 a night , I will look else where next time.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ainjibi
MarloweGM, General Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Thanks for sharing your experience and the 4 out of 5 rating. Your comments about the pet smell is definitely not something we hear....ever. In fact, it's usually the opposite so I will personally address your concerns with our housekeeping team. The mattress too, I think the featherbed needs some fluffing which we will do right away...thanks for pointing that out. And yes, if you forgot it, we got it..or (hopefully) we will go get it. Sorry we dropped the ball on this one, won't happen again.

Thanks,

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 30, 2014

A superb hotel conveniently located in Cambridge on the Charles River. The rooms are small but lovely. The staff is friendly and accommodating. The restaurant and bar are the perfect stop for lunch or the end of the day. The location is very accessible to MBTA, shopping, sightseeing, and a short 15 minute taxi to/from Logan Airport. Nice pull-in parking that is off the street and out of the way of Boston traffic. You simply can't go wrong!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
MarloweGM, General Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
If you simply can't go wrong, then we must be doing something right! Thanks for the great feedback!

DC, Beirut
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We have stayed at the Kimpton many times when we are in the Boston area. It's a super dog friendly hotel. After checking they have always brought our Lab treats, toys, a dog bed, and food/water bowls. Located in a very nice spot right on the Charles River. Easy parking and there is a mall right next door thats convenient. There are also many places to walk our Lab.

Rooms are very large and our room had a great view of the Charles River. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the Charles River
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank baci2003
Thanks for sharing, glad you and your Lab had fun. I can't wait to have you back!

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 26, 2014

I attended a conference held at Hotel Marlowe. Check-in and check-out were easy. Guest rooms were spacious and clean. The hotel meeting rooms were located on the second floor. Food provided by the hotel was standard fare. The hotel is located right on the river and the rest of Cambridge is easily accessible via a walk along the river. Nice hotel, I would stay here again if I needed to stay in Cambridge.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank djl485
Thanks for the kind words, hopefully your business brings you back to Cambridge soon!

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed May 25, 2014

I stayed here for a week for a mix of business and pleasure. Check in process was smooth.
Room was clean and cleaned daily from a dust/ spotless perspective, but I didn't feel like the cleaning service tidied up my own items as much as other hotels do.
Bed was comfortable. TV was annoying since I noticed the first few channels were ads, and if I flipped through them, sometimes TV would revert back to them. Mini bar was locked which I found strange.

Only real storage were the nightstand drawers and closet. No dresser and a very tiny bathroom counter- this was annoying since I had to live out of my suitcase for a 7 day trip in a 'top hotel'.

Location good since near the Green line and red line- runs and walks along the Charles always magnificent.

I wish that the staff explained to me more of the amenities about the hotel, such as the happy hour, gym, etc. It's always a shame to me when hotels have a lot to offer but a busy guest needs to figure them out for themselves.

Parking and laundry service very easy and convenient.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
MarloweGM, General Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Thanks for sharing your feedback, I will personally make sure to share it with the front office team. It's always great to get the guest point of view...it helps us improve, so thank you!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 23, 2014

I love this chain and really like their approach. I love dogs but I don't like staying in the same rooms that they live in so the whole dog friendly thing is a little much for me but as long as I can get a no pet room I'm ok. The Marlowe has great staff, a good restaurant but it's time to refit the rooms - ridiculous how little storage is in the rooms and how the bathroom has a counter top big enough for only a few items.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
I appreciate your feedback and know that we have a handful of rooms that are "pet friendly" and any time a 4 legged companion occupies one of them, there is extensive cleaning done to that room so it is ready for our 2 legged guests. We pride ourselves on cleanliness, so don't worry about a thing!

Thanks for the great comments on the staff and restaurant and I will be sure to pass along the feedback about the storage space to the designer when the time comes for our next rooms refresh.

Thanks again.

joe.capalbo@hotelmarlowe.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Royal Sonesta Boston
Back Bay
Lenox Hotel
Lenox Hotel
#6 of 83 in Boston

Been to Kimpton Marlowe Hotel? Share your experiences!