“THIN WALLS!”

Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed at the Marlowe recently with my wife and 15 year-old son and everything was great - the location, the room , the staff were all great-- that was until the residents next door came home at midnight. It was like they were in the room with us. My wife and I tried the cotton in the ears approach to no avail and finally called the front desk at 2 a.m. to complain. Twenty minutes later nothing had changed -- in fact they got louder( probably angry that we had complained) So we called again to complain and again nothing changed. My wife called a third time and requested a new room and the front desk said they would check and get back to us. Fifteen minutes later and no phone call back-- my wife went to the lobby and had to demand a new room -- the night manager reluctantly agreed -- only after my wife calmly explained that if we were not given a new room she would awaken the entire floor! So at 3 a.m. we moved to a new floor and got four hours of quiet( we had to be up early). Thin walls and POOR staff assistance left us looking for a nap at 3 p.m. the next day! A great place to stay as long as your neighboring rooms are empty or the inhabitants go to bed early and do not talk above a whisper !

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Michal P, Hotel Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear mdesimone,

While we cannot always control what other guests do during their stay with us, we should be able to come up with a solution quickly that allows all guests to enjoy their time at the Marlowe. Clearly during your stay we failed to do his and for that I am truly sorry. If you are willing to give us a second chance I promise you will not be disappointed by the service my team provides.

Warm Regards,
Michal

Write a ReviewReviews (2,076)

Reviewed March 8, 2013

My husband and I consider the Hotel Marlowe our home away from home when in Boston. The staff at the Hotel Marlowe are outstanding! The staff go out of their way to insure your needs are met and you are totally satisfied with their services! Always welcoming, always friendly. They make every effort to accommodate your requests. We look forward to the wine hour in the late afternoon which features a red and a white wine choice as well as non-alcoholic choices. The restaurant is cozy and comfortable,the menu is appealing and food is well presented. It is a truly an ahhhhh.... experience.

Room Tip: A view of the Charles River and Boston on a high floor is desirable.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Michal P, Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Hello TheRiddles!

I love seeing and reading comments like this! Thank you so much! We are more than happy to welcome you "home" whenever you are here!

See you next time!!

Reviewed March 7, 2013

The room was unbearably hot. Even with the heat shut off, there was no relief. The windows were sealed and could not be opened. I would not stay here again in the winter. The service attitude of the employees was just so-so.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Hello Otoh!

Sorry about the heat, apparently we thought that because it is so cold out that we could keep you very warm inside! Sorry about this, I promise you that it is not always like this our engineers are amazing and can fix almost anything!

Next time we will make sure you are comfortable!

Reviewed March 2, 2013

We had a one-night stay with my daughter, who turned eight and wanted to have some "family time" close to the city. We took our Saint Bernard, which is a rare possibility for a hotel chain.

We couldn't be happier with the experience. Chris DeMillia the Front Desk Manager e-mailed me the weekend prior and asked about any special requests for my daughter or the pup. Even though we didn't ask for anything in particular, we had a special goldfish in our room for my daughter to enjoy, a great setup for the dog (bowls and a great dog bed), and in the evening he brought up a box of chocolates and a bubbly drink for my daughter to toast her birthday (water). :)

It's so nice to see a hotel make the little efforts. My daughter said it was the "best birthday ever" and it was definitely because of Chris and how welcoming the hotel is in general. We are won over by Kimpton in general and I'll strive to stay there whenever I can!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Hello Donna S!!

We aim to please and it seems that we did just that for your Daughter's birthday! Chris is a wonderful person and I am sure he is very happy to see what you said about him! We only hope that next year's birthday is even better!

Thank you!

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed there on a recent business trip to Cambridge. It had a nice boutique hotel feel to it, and it was something different from the Cambridge Marriott that I usually stay at while visiting Cambridge. Room is clean and of decent size, WiFi worked fine, bed is comfortable, the room has some fancy brand bottle water (name of the brand escapes me right now) that cost almost 10 bucks, but if you register your email with the hotel, you get free WiFi and a 10 dollar minibar credit. One thing I would have liked is in room coffee, but you could go to the lobby and get complimentary coffee there. Overall, a pleasant stay for a business trip.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Hello Huskies92!!

We actually have a lot of business guests with us, so you found the right place to go!! Next time you are here please ask us to bring up a coffee maker. We do not have these in the room, but we do these by request!

See you next time!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

My wife and I try to stay at Kimpton properties exclusivley when we can. They are consistently great. This was a good place to stay and explore Boston and take a duck tour. No complaints!

Subway and museum are right around the corner.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello Marcesq42,

No complaint’s...that is what I like to hear! Thanks for trying us out on your travels through the Kimpton properties, we promise to not disappoint!

Thanks again!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I really enjoyed staying here this past weekend. The room was confortable and very clean. The evening wine hour was a very nice touch. The morning coffee and tea and hot chocolate bar was great. I recommend joining the kimpton rewards. It is free and gets you free wifi and $10 towards the mini bar in your room. Valet parking is expensive. Parking seems to be this way all over Boston. We spent $30 to valet the car. The staff at the hotel is great. They are all very helpful and nice. The location was great. Right near the green line t. But be aware the t stops running early in Boston, but there are plently of cabs. We would have stayed a second night at this hotel, but the room price doubled from saturday to sunday night, so we decided to go elsewhere for our second night. However, I would be very happy to return to this hotel if visitng the area for an overnight again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello Ginaz,

The rewards program is awesome; I never touch a mini-bar unless I am getting my $10.00 off! I can't live without it! It is like a small present that you can personally choose!

Thanks for the kind words!