“Unique Family Experience!!!!!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Baldwinsville, NY
“Unique Family Experience!!!!!”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We just got back from two fabulous nights at Hotel Marlowe. The location is beautiful, overlooking the Charles River. The staff were all wonderful. They all seemed to be so happy. Even when I had called a couple of times before we left the staff seemed so pleasant.
Our favorite part of our stay was the bikes and the kyaks. We had unusually warm weather and we took advantage of it. This morning my twelve year old son and I biked all around Boston while my husband and our two older sons kyaked. If they were not complimentary I don't think we would have biked or kyaked. The wine reception is fun as well. We met some really nice people and most of them always stay at Hotel Marlowe when they are visiting Boston. The hotel is unique, clean and nice to come back to after a long day visiting the sights in Boston.
We have never stayed in a Kimpton Hotel before, but for now on I will always look for one before booking our future travels.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
obriggs, Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Dear Porgal,

I'm so happy you enjoyed your two night stay at the Marlowe and that you got to take our kayaks and bicycles out in the beautiful fall weather we've been having! I hope you and your family will come back and see us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Hebrew first
Guildford
Reviewed October 5, 2011

Having previously stayed and at an excellent Kimpton Hotel (The Argonaut) in San Francisco we thought we couldn’t go wrong with Hotel Marlowe. I am pleased to say we were not disappointed.

I had previously had email communication (from the UK) to request a few extras on our arrival as it was our wedding anniversary. The concierge (Matt) who I spoke with was excellent and arranged everything that I requested. This is what I class as top customer service.

Location – the location was perfect for what we were looking for. We walked in and out of Boston over the Longfellow bridge, a lovely walk that I would recommend (great photo opportunities too). It took us 15 minutes to reach Charles Street. If you want to go to Harvard all you have to do is walk to the MIT station that is about 10 minutes away. The hotel is also literally right next to a shopping mall that has plenty of well known shops, restaurants and coffee shops. Perfect if you don’t want to walk into central Boston if you are looking for a quick bite to eat such as breakfast.

Hotel - Wine reception with a different aperitif each day, great touch. The rooms were perfect, big TV’s, powerful showers and really comfy beds. We dined in the Hotel restaurant and were not disappointed, great food and service.

The concierge and receptionists were always very helpful and full of useful suggestions.

All in all I would have no hesitation in recommending Hotel Marlowe. Even before I got there I was impressed! My wife and I had a truly amazing experience from start to finish, just a shame it is all the way in Boston and not London!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Guildford_R
obriggs, Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2011
Dear Guildford_R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and for recommending the Marlowe to other travelers. I'm glad our staff was so helpful to you and I will make sure Matt, in particular, gets the opportunity to read your review. If you ever return to Cambridge we hope you will come back and see us!
California
Reviewed September 29, 2011

I'm in Cambridge for 5 days of work and it has been a pleasure staying at this hotel. The people who work here are fabulous. Very responsive and helpful. It was always a delight to interact with them. I loved the room; well appointed and a good place to do work. Great bed, big screen TV and a mini-bar. The room could be a little better for the business traveler. I'd suggest an in-room coffee pot (hard to get up and wait for the needed coffee) and a table of sorts to have in-room dinner. I had to eat off the desk or the bed.

They have a nice complementary wine reception and offer first class newspapers.

But all else was good. And I'm glad I stayed here.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dear Jeannehb,

Thank you for writing a review! I'm so happy you had pleasant interactions with our employees and that you enjoyed your room. We are happy to add a coffee maker to your requests whenever you stay with us in the future, so please allow us to have that set up for you! We hope to see you again soon!
south portland, me
Reviewed September 26, 2011

My husband and I stayed there this past weekend for our wedding anniversary. I was a bit leery from the bad reviews but I booked my stay there anyway because of the location.

I saw many complaints about the distance to the 'T' stations, and they are all wrong. I frequent the Boston area very often and there are two stations within a 5-10 minute walk. Right now there are shuttle busses in those areas due to train construction but they are still very convenient.

When we arrived they congradulated us on our anniversary and informed us of a 'special surprise' in our room. We revieved a high floor and firm pillows as requested which was great! As an In-Touch member you can list your requests right online! We also recieved free wi-fi which was a huge plus!

When we arrived to our room, we saw the beautiful view of Boston right out our window! The bed was amazing! Wonderful comfortor and just very comfortable! I loved the huge mirror on the wall, very unique touch! The bathroom was awesome, which is usually a make or break quality in my opinions. I loved the amentities provided for us as well. A lot of hotels provide the cheap shampoos and conditioners which don't do much for cleaning your hair. Hotel Marlowe gives great ones! I didn't feel like I had just showered at a hotel! Our suprise that was waiting for us was a complimentary bottle of champagne to celebreate our anniversary! We also recieved two boxes of chocolate and some nice bottled water, which is huge for us as we only drink bottled water. I phoned the desk to make sure that we didnt need to pay for these items and we were informed that everything on the table was complimentary, including a delicious nut mix! We also recieved a 10$ credit for the mini bar which we took advantage of and a 50$ credit towards Bambara, the restaurant in the hotel, or for room service. We were able to get some drinks at the bar as well as a full breakfast delivered to our room the following morning! We were also granted a late check out of 3pm which was fantastic as we didnt want to feel rushed the next day.

The decor of the hotel is absolutely beautiful! If you are more into fancy paisley and lace, don;t stay here because the decor at the Hotel Marlowe is more modern and chic. To address the reports of a noisy hotel, we were right by the elevator, the hotel was host to a wedding and reception the weekend we were there and we never turned on our tv until the day we checked out. With all of this, we never heard anything other than ourselves!

I have nothing but great things to say about this hotel, which is saying a lot from me...I am very picky about the places I stay. If the need ever arises, I will surely stay here again! In a heartbeat!

Thank you to all the employees at the Hotel Marlowe who made my wedding anniversary one to remember!! :)

Room Tip: Join Kimpton In-Touch Rewards before you stay here...the benefits are priceless!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank meghanl500
obriggs, Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Dear Meghanl500,

Happy Anniversary! I appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed review of your Hotel Marlowe experience! I'm so glad we were able to honor all of your Kimpton In-Touch preferences and that you got to enjoy a champagne amenity in your city view room. We hope you will choose to stay at the Marlowe if you ever return to Cambridge!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 24, 2011

I have stayed in the Marlowe about 10 times over the past 4 or so years - and I still enjoy it. I love the fact that they try to do things with a bit of flair. The tiger and leopard skin bathrobes, the funky mirrors, the lairy curtains - all make for a great experience. I love the fact the hotel is connected to the Cambridgeside Galleria too - means I can do some shopping in my down time or at least have meals in the food court as opposed to sitting on my own in my room eating overpriced hotel food.

The beds are comfortable - I always sleep well there. I tend to get a room looking over the river when I stay. I haven't ever had a problem with noise in the rooms. The one thing I don't like is the lack of lighting in the rooms - I tend to rearrange the rooms a bit when I first go in - as there are no lights anywhere near the bag area - so you can't see what is in your bag (I move the floor lamp to the bag stand area - apologies to those that have to rearrange the room afterwards!).

The internet is free (not sure if that's for everyone or just Kimpton in-touch members) - it has never been super fast, but it has improved over the years. I have used the gym too - not the best/biggest. They could do much better with the gym.

FYI you cannot rely on the transfer service (which used to be free but I think has a small cost now) - as often it is very busy in the mornings.

There is something funny about the breakfast - either it has no buffet during the week (only a-la-carte) and only on the weekend or the other way around. Either way it can be a bit annoying waiting for breakfast when you are in a hurry in the AM - so check on this before you head down for breakfast. The Bambora (I think that's what it is called?) restaurant has a great reputation too apparently (so I was told by a local).

It is also great value for money - well priced for what you get (compared with what I pay in Australia for average hotels).

But despite some small issues I highly recommend this hotel - if for nothing else but the fact they try to be a bit different. The rooms are by no means the standard 4-5 star fare.

Room Tip: I suggest you pay a bit extra and get a river view room - particularly if you are spending much time...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Oakland, CA
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I spent a few days recently at Hotel Marlowe, and it was an unexpected delight. The quality of the hotel was unexpected because I booked the stay sight unseen if you will using the you-name-the-price feature of one of the major consolidators. Since my rate was approximately half of the best internet rate at the time, my expectations were low.

Fortunately, my expectations were substantially exceeded. The stay at Hotel Marlowe was delightful because the place, well run and ultra modern, is an over-the-top visual feast. The pubic areas, and the rooms, are decorated in rich and over saturated reds, golds, and yellows. The fantastical colors are tied together with dark wood finishes.

The rooms have over-sized fanciful mirrors as prominent part of the decor, and walking through the front doors of the hotel is like stepping through the looking glass of normal into a world of brightness and color. The entire place seems to have been done up in Photoshop, with Vibrance and Saturation turned all the way up. Every time I entered the hotel I smiled.
The place reminds of Tim Burton's version of Alice In Wonderland, and one would not be surprised to see the Mad Hatter and the Red Queen behind front desk.

The hotel is well located in Cambridge, close to the Lechmere T stop (the subway), the Museum of Science, CambridgeSide Galleria, and of course MIT and Harvard. The Paul Dudley White bike path is around the corner, so if you enjoy walking along the Charles River, or jogging, this path works well since it is shared by cyclists and pedestrians.

The rooms are modern and well appointed with all the amenities one expects: HD TV with a variety of sat/cable channels, large comfy beds, and high quality bath products. The pièce de résistance was the matching animal print robes in the closet!

I found the staff professional and helpful, albeit looking a bit out of place in what I can only describe as understated professional attire. Based on the decor of the hotel, one really expects to see kings, queens and jesters, and perhaps a small elephant walking through the lobby.

Hotel Marlowe is a very nice change of pace from the earth toned, cookie-cutter business class hotels. The only regret is that I had to step back through the looking glass into reality upon check out.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor facing the Charles River.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Porsche_Guy
New York
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We had to take our dog on a trip to MIT, and a friend suggested the Hotel Marlowe because it was pet friendly. It was a very pleasant surprise. We were put on a pet friendly floor and the rooms were luxurious and spotless plus had a dog bed and bowls, The staff was exceptionally accommodating. Service was great.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank GracieDog
Dear GracieDog,

I'm glad you and your dog enjoyed the Hotel Marlowe and that our staff was accomodating to all of your needs. We hope you will come back and see us again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Kendall Hotel
Back Bay
Lenox Hotel
Lenox Hotel
#6 of 83 in Boston

Been to Kimpton Marlowe Hotel? Share your experiences!