“Good Service”
Review of Kendall Hotel

Kendall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed March 8, 2011

We've stayed twice at the Kendall Hotel because of iuts excellent location near the T station (Kendall/MIT on the Red Line), good service and the Fire Station theme appeals particularly to our two grandsons. Rooms are comfortable, staff are very helpful. Breakfasts are good, although staff aren't able to keep up with demand so we found we had to wait most mornings for one or two items to be brought out. Apart from this, service was good.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed March 6, 2011

I have stayed at the Kendall probably 10 times, on various visits to MIT. I love the location and the rooms. There is also much less noise between rooms than at the Meridien, the other nice hotel near MIT. I've always had great sleeps at the Kendall. The Meridien, on the other hand, is horrible in terms of noise from neighboring rooms.

However, it dawned on me during my last stay that nobody has ever said to me, Thank you for staying here xx times. When I check in, they always ask if I've stayed at the Kendall before, so they obviously don't mark repeat customers in the system.

The desk staff usually is indifferent, usually you have to ring the bell to get them out of their rabbit hole in the back, where they are probably on the internet.

I will keep going back, but I don't love it as much as I could. How 'bout showing some appreciation for your loyal customers?

The reservation system on-line doesn't even allow you to register, it treats you as a one-hit wonder, just making the one reservation. They have made no attempt to connect with good clients.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Playing on its location in a former fire station, the Kendall Hotel uses firefighting motif through out, from the little signs in the door knob to the toy fire trucks in the lobby. The rooms, which are of average size for the hotel class and the location, are decorated in what appears to be salvaged ("antique") furniture. It is consistent and somewhat pleasant, even if not very original or elegant.

We appreciated the bundled services, common in hotels of this class, such as free wi-fi and complimentary warm beverages (albeit outside the room).

However, sleep quality was also on par with the hotel class - the bed wasn't high-end and didn't provide adequate support. The electronics in the room and the toiletries in the bathroom were of equally average quality. There was no view from the windows.

The included breakfast was ordinary: fat and cholesterol laden, ostensibly lacking in healthy choices. The staff was friendly and accommodating.

The Kendall Hotel is a good choice for a budget hotel. However, it is often more expensive than neighboring hotels such as the higher quality Le Meridian Cambridge. At almost $150 (inclusive), that's too dear for the quality offered.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
11  Thank WarmWhite
AndersonLoganFamily, Manager at Kendall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2011

Thank you for recently staying with us. I am glad you found the “Americana” style pleasing; each piece in the hotel was thoughtfully chosen by our owner, nothing from hotel catalogues.
I wanted to let you know the two areas you rated us as budget are the two we have placed a great amount of focus and do not “skimp” on:

Beds and our Breakfast:

We spend a great deal of time ensuring that we provide a high quality breakfast; our competitors use powdered eggs, fruit out of a can, not real maple syrup, and processed bread. Our breakfast is made fresh – farm eggs cracked in our kitchen and made in small batches through-out the morning, fresh fruit – hand cut each day, home-made scones, Boars Head bacon, real maple syrup and very high quality pastries. Our bread is from a local baker, made without preservatives. I am so sorry you did not find our breakfast as wonderful as we had hoped.

Our beds were selected with much thought. As we are locally owned, we researched and selected a local manufacturer to make our beds and only use 100% cotton for our linens. We do realize that the proper amount of support varies by person and we have chosen beds that appeal to the majority of our guests.

Our hair dryers are pretty standard and our bath amenities are from a very high end company, not too florally or fragrant, I think simple best describes them.

Thank you for your feedback and observations. We truly appreciate knowing about our guests' experiences so we can address our challenges and celebrate our successes. This is not a cliché, but something we take to heart.

By the way, I recently took a trip to Copenhagen and I have to admit Copenhagen is by far is one of my favorite cities; the food, people and quality of life there is unmatched, I loved it there.

Warmest regards,
Brenda

Reviewed February 18, 2011

Kendall hotel is conveniently located at the Kendall square subway stop, so there is easy access to other destinations in both Cambridge and Boston. The hotel is on the historical register (former engine firehouse). I was pleasantly surprised by this place. Staff is very friendly. Features free buffet breakfast and a a free happy hour during the week between 5 and 6 PM for guests. I also had dinner at their Black Sheep restaurant, which was very good. Free internet access also provided. If you plan to stay in Cambridge, check this place out. I would definitely stay there again. Much better alternative than the big hotel chains in the area.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Ciahasher
Reviewed February 16, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights.
Well decorated, nice room, big bathroom.
A few things I like to highlight is that the management/owner of this hotel did think about what travelers need/like:
1. Complementary Tea and Coffee by the lift - this is esp. nice after walking in the cold.
2. Breakfast included - I did not need to negotiate with the hotel, its included in all room rates
3. Free Internet - CAT and Wifi - once again, included (you dont need a password, its free and I dont need to ask for it)
4. Really nice Sky Lounge - its a nice place to hang out with friends
5. Friendly Staff

As a business traveler, its just nice to go to a hotel that knows what you need and you dont have to ask for them. A lot of the chains claims they have more amenities / services but they charge everything - in my opinion that's not genuine good service.

Of course, Im not that gullible to believe that what's Free is really free. However, you can tell what the management/owner is thinking by observing how they package their services. Naturally, the people of Kendall Hotel believes hot tea, free internet, free breakfast, nice lounge and many other things are simple essential to a business traveler. Many hotel chains don't have the same kind of insight.

Btw, I paid US$139/night - not the cheapest room in the area but I did appreciate the service.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 28, 2011

I chose the Kendall for its proximity to the Red Line (half-block away) and meetings in Cambridge, and because of good ratings on TripAdvisor, knowing that I prefer a more modern sort of place. It's very nice. Quaint - the front part is an converted old fire station and I remember when it functioned that way.

I had room 213 in the old firehouse, a suite of 2 tiny rooms - a sitting room with a chair, desk and TV, and a bedroom with a queen bed and 2 small bedside tables and a TV on the wall. The bedroom is in the old fire bell tower, which is kind of cool. Very cozy for one; with two it might have been a bit of a hassle. There is an MIT maintenance parking lot next door, so the beeping of backing up trucks in the morning was a bit annoying, especially since my day did not start early. Otherwise plenty quiet. The decor is New England quaint, but not over the top. Not really my style, but very nice and tasteful. There is no coffee maker in the room, but coffee available in the lobby. The free wifi was not reliable, but there were other open wifi networks from MIT & Google accessible.

The lobby is understated and comfortable, with a restaurant that provides seating for breakfast and serves lunch and dinner except Sundays (but the Legal Seafood across the street is beautiful and reliably good). The breakfast buffet is set up in a private room on the other side of the lobby from the restaurant seating, which is a little awkward. It is a full and very nice American breakfast, included in the price of the room, which, by the way, I found very reasonable for the location and amenities. I don't have much use for bacon and eggs every morning, but they had oatmeal too, and I know a lot of people like those big, cholesterol-laden breakfasts - if your body can take it, enjoy!

My only main complaint, which I noted on the feedback form, was that the hot water in the shower was only hot a little of the time and lukewarm otherwise, which was disappointing with the temperature outside hovering in the single digits. Hopefully that was a fleeting maintenance problem.

I'll try it again if I can get such great rates.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 19, 2011

My partner and I had booked at a few hotels around Boston before spending our last night at the Kendall. As soon as we walked in we realized that we had wasted our time and money on other boutique Inns.
The setting was colorful and interesting. We were sad that we werent there during the week when they offered wine tastings on the top floor, but that can be saved for next time.
The bed was extremely comfortable and the room cozy, albeit small. (We had chosen a smaller room though.)
I highly recommend this hotel for people interested in staying somewhere different than a large hotel, and especially people who can appreciate its history as a former Fire Station as well as its preservation.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple