“AWESOME place to stay!”
Review of Kendall Hotel

Kendall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed July 9, 2014

My wife and I came to Boston for the fourth and this was truly an amazing place to stay. The rooms were clean and the service was great. A minimal charge for parking, but you earn that back saving money by eating breakfast there as the food is GREAT!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris L
Brenda A, General Manager at Kendall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience...I love your enthusiasm and proud that our hotel was able to inspire it. I'll pass on your compliments to our staff, as they deserve to hear that the thought and effort they put into their service is appreciated. Hope to see you again soon.

Brenda

Write a ReviewReviews (1,008)

Reviewed July 5, 2014

My husband and 2 small children stayed here for 4 nights. We stayed in the suite which was unbelievable! They truly thought of EVERYTHING including a FULL kitchen with everything you could possibly need. The walk in shower/jacuzzi tub were both amazing. The beds were very comfortable and had extra bedding for the fold out couch. The staff here is amazing, they go above and beyond to make you feel at home. The breakfast is UNBEATABLE! The food is amazing and nothing like a breakfast you will find at any other hotel! The eclectic decorations make this place truly feel more like a bed and breakfast. Wonderful hotel! We will NEVER stay anywhere else in Boston! Oh and I have to mention the red line is less than a block away, talk about perfect location perfect!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank AJMorrow

Thank you, thank you and thank you! Your appreciation could not be appreciated more. The Kendall family is so happy to have been able to give you and your family such a great experience. Please come again soon.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

We stayed at the Kendall Hotel for 4 nights. I originally wanted to book a queen-sized room, but they were sold out, so I booked one with one king-sized bed instead. It was wonderful. The room was huge, but cozy. Although we were facing the street, the room was really quiet. I really loved all the little antiques throughout the hotel.

The daily breakfast buffet is great, but do not go down at 9AM. This seems to be the busiest time of the morning and a time when the staff need to replenish everything. The first morning there were no coffee cups or juice glasses. The coffee was empty. Everything was quickly remedied, but the morning we ate at 8AM was much smoother.

I also appreciated the free wireless in each room. It was great. The wine reception was a fun way to chat with other travelers.

Finally, you can't beat the location. Less than a block from the Kendall/MIT stop on the Red Line - you can pretty much get anywhere in Boston from there.

Room Tip: Our room was in the new addition of the hotel, which I highly recommend. I think the rooms are bigge...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stephabelle

Glad you had a nice time. Sounds like you figured the place out pretty quickly. Thank you for giving people the skinny in your review. You help out a small family business, such as ours, immensely by spreading word-of-mouth.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

We have stayed at this nice hotel for the past three boston marathons. I feel so lucky to have found it. The rooms are clean, and the breakfast buffet is outstanding. Great location. Wonderful atmosphere.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Thank you using our hotel when taking part in such a historic and important event as the marathon. The fantastic turn out this year meant so very much to the city of Boston. Hope to see you for your 4th marathon.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

As a native Bostonian (who has lived in NYC/NJ since college), it's always fun to go to my hometown. This time it was a particular memorable business trip because I remember the actual firehouse, which is now the location of the very fine Kendall Hotel.

Everything about my stay was excellent -- from the lovely woman who checked me in, to the actual room which was large, well appointed (think shabby chic but very smart. I loved the decor of the room), and very clean. I would have given the hotel 5 stars except for the few things listed below (consider this a 4.5 star review):

** There is no real view on either side of the hotel. I was staying in the back of the hotel (much quieter in this section. The front of the hotel
faces a very busy street), but faced office buildings.

** Although the parking garage is very convenient -- it's right underneath the hotel and easy accessible -- the parking spaces are extremely tight. My car is small, and has a 6 speed stick shift (which I think makes it easier to maneuver in tight spaces), but I had a tough time getting in and out of my space (the garage itself is small and not very wide).

** The breakfast, included in my rate, while plentiful, did not have enough healthy selections. While it did have yogurt and watermelon, a little more fresh fruit (pineapple, cantaloupe, bananas etc.) would have been welcome.

** There are not enough plugs in the room. Almost all of the plugs had extension cords and then plug adapters (to create more plug ins), but the room simply needed more outlets.

Even with these caveats, I very much enjoyed my stay at the Kendall Hotel. It's also conveniently located next to a "T" (subway) stop -- just two quick stops to Harvard Square (where I used to stay, but I'm not a fan of either The Charles or the Veritas), and very easy access to Boston. Recommended!

Please excuse typos!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank DeborahPub
Brenda A, General Manager at Kendall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2014

Thank you for your wonderful comments about The Kendall Hotel, formally known as The Engine 7 Firehouse - I too remember the days when this was a working fire-station and was thrilled that a local family had the insight to save Engine 7 and convert the building into a wonderful boutique hotel. Our style is very different than the other hotels in Kendall Square - while most are going toward the very sleek, modern look, we embrace our Americana Style - offering warmth and comfort in bustling Kendall Square. We just completed renovating our lobby and now working on guest room improvements - please come back and enjoy our more sophisticated "shabby chic" look!

Reviewed June 22, 2014

We booked this hotel for a girls weekend and I have to say that this hotel is perfect! It is close to all public transportation so it was perfect for us! This hotel is very nice and VERY clean, the free breakfast is AMAZING! The staff is courteous and very helpful.I would stay here again anytime!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for sharing your experience at The Kendall Hotel. Everyone deserves a weekend with friends and I am thrilled you enjoyed yours at The Kendall – nice to read your comments.
I would very much enjoying hearing what activities you did for your special weekend – we want to create a Girls Weekend Package and before I do, would be interested in what you think would make that sort of package special. My email is brenda@kendallhotel.com.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Charming and convenient for a city setting. Be sure to take time for the complimentary breakfast it's excellent. Within walking distant to the "T" (subway) making the hotel's location accessible to campuses, museums and the other attractions in the Boston and surrounding areas.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Brenda A, General Manager at Kendall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Thank you for sharing your comments about The Kendall Hotel and our great location - many folks don't realize how convenient it is to stay in Cambridge; we are so close to the "T" and walking distance to Boston and Harvard Square.

I enjoyed reading your description of us as “quirky in a good way”. I often describe the hotel as touching on the senses - our architectural style, the historic aspect, our vibrant colours & our funky music really create a warm and inviting ambience. Thanks for noticing that we are not like all the other hotels.

We do hope to see you again in the not too distant future.