“Home away from home”
Review of Kendall Hotel

Kendall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed March 20, 2013

With a step son at MIT for undergraduate and now graduate studies, we have been going to Cambridge for many years to visit. Once we found this place, we would not stay anywhere else. You can't get any closer to MIT campus or the Kendal T-stop. The lobby is so welcoming and comfortable. The food is fantastic- starting with the amazing buffet breakfast. Dinner is to notch food without a stuffy atmosphere. Some of the staff has been there for years and now know our names.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mary Jo B
There are newer reviews for Kendall Hotel

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I won an overnight stay along with a concert ticket to go to Boston on the Friday before St. Patrick's Day. My daughter came with me and she has very high standards. We had absolutely no idea what it would be like and we spent 4 hours at a Festival at the TD Garden and we were tired when we got to the hotel. My daughter was a bit cranky and I was just pooped.

What a refreshing surprise when we entered the Kendall Hotel. Upon entry you have the hotel cafe to the right and the check-in on the left. It was about 11:30pm and there were a couple of guests relaxing in the cafe area and there was more than one staff member ready to assist us. The first thing that struck me as I entered was a big Grandfather Clock of a very funky style and design. It was quite eye-catching and there was more to see. Comfortable couches around a fireplace with a fire and curious modern art and antique objects were tastefully displayed throughout.

We were welcomed cordially and signed in very quickly. We were given directions for parking and we were given our key for the room. After parking around back (the underground garage was full) we brought our bags in and headed to our room. The Kendall Hotel was originally a Firehouse that has been renovated and restored to the level of having the distinction of a Historical Hotel and it reflects the care of the owners. There is a mixture of modern artwork and design that is very well blended with classical moldings and antique objects, photos and artwork very carefully displayed.

When we reached our room we were both very pleased with the room that was very comfortable (the bed was like a cloud), clean and wonderful to see. There has been much care in the renovation with very modern facilities and decorated with antiques (think tiny black and white tiles on the bathroom floor with a new shower/tub combo). We had a wonderful night sleep (though the Underground T could be faintly heard it did not disturb) and woke relaxed. I woke quite early so I went and explored the 7th floor Atrium room which has a computer and printer with internet available for free. The room itself has comfortable chairs and an airy light feel to it from the ceiling that let in plenty of light. There was a small balcony with a view to the river and of Kendall Square.

While I read on the 7th floor a few guests came in and out and all were very pleasant and friendly and I think it is partly because of the feeling the hotel itself evokes, homey but gently elegant. There were several international guests (definitely heard French and German). I find that in my experience US hotels with foreign visitors tend to have a more open and friendly feel. I am not sure why but I have found that in New York, Washington DC and Boston.

Breakfast is included with the room and it was excellent. Buffet style "American" breakfast with a great selection for all. Eggs and bacon were both good and freshened frequently. There were several teas and fine coffee, juices, cereals (not in little paper boxes), fresh fruit and yogurt, compotes and honey. It was delicious and it gave another opportunity for guests to congregate in the cafe area.

I plan to visit the Kendall again and will now be armed with the knowledge that the Kendall Square T station is a very short walk away and that it is in the MIT area which was away from the bustle of the inner part of Boston. I would highly recommend this hotel for it's comfort, cleanliness, friendliness and cheerful atmosphere.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank ErikaH1
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Kendall was a fabulous hotel for us! Relaxing, quiet, very comfortable. Decor is firehouse/New England, eclectic yet not tacky, lovely, sooo comfortable and relaxing! Excellent bedding, towels and my request for a room w/natural light and windows that open was granted. Garage parking a bonus and affordable, secure. Bathroom great size (however no fan or window to open).
Ease of access, in and out of town, driving or the T Station-excellent. Location perfect to Cambridge for MIT, Harvard, Charles River, Boston Convention Center and downtown was simple. We combined business and leisure, so it was perfect for our stay.
Charming, accommodating, food service staff was adequate, a little loud from the kitchen, although not as friendly or attentative in the dining room.
The breakfast is diverse, although the seating is limited and can get a little crowded. Could be more on top of bussing dishes and cleaning tables.
Managing staff at the front desk was personable and throrough.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms can be small, so if that is an issue ask for clarity. Construction on Main St. wa...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Carol06069
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The next time I visit MIT or Boston, I will return to the Kendall. We were checked in promptly, parked the car in the garage under the hotel, and had dinner at Legal Seafood across the street. In the morning, walked around MIT, and along Memorial drive overlooking the Charles River.. Our room was very comfortable, interesting period decorations; amazingly quiet for a big city. The atmosphere of the place is relaxing and the staff friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was plentiful in both variety and quantity, and we ate at small table in the informal lounge amid a happy group of college age folks. It is one of the great bargains of the Boston area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Roger G
Reviewed March 2, 2013

The Kendall was a wonderful spot from which to explore Boston. The location is excellent. It is in a quiet area, yet is only half a block to the subway. Our room was well appointed, spacious and clean. The beds are among the most comfortable we have ever slept in, and the hotel itself is charming. The highlight, however, was the complimentary breakfast. It is unquestionably the best breakfast we have ever had in a hotel. When we return to Boston, this will be our hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brian G
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I have stayed often in this hotel conveniently located close to MIT. I really enjoy the fact that it has character: real furniture, art on the walls, memorabilia of old Boston at every corner and every room is different. This hotel is very well maintained and managed with great attention to detail. Most recently I have stayed in a queen-bed room and it certainly was not among the most spacious rooms that I have stayed in, but to me this is not so important given the other pros of this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mariaalessandra
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed here during New Year's weekend and,as usual, it didn't disappoint. The breakfast was incredible, with fresh baked goods from the kitchen. The room was large and comfortable. And I loved the Christmas decorations and tree- it is like staying in someone's home. I will continue to stay here when in the Boston area because it is a great value, with friendly service.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dede48
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
Downtown
Four Seasons Hotel Boston
Back Bay
Courtyard Boston Copley Square

Been to Kendall Hotel? Share your experiences!