“Not THIS Hampton!”

Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
Holden
“Not THIS Hampton!”
Reviewed March 1, 2012

There are only two spots to park under covered parking to get out, walk in, and check in. Monday afternoon desk staff did not even greet me! To check me in seemed more of a chore than being their job! As a Diamond member, this was very disheartening.

When I arrived in my room, there was already a bottle of water and snack waiting. However, that was the only time during my entire stay.

If you decide to stay here...request a room toward the back of the building and away from the busy street. The doors to the rooms do not seal and even hallway traffic can be heard walking on the carpet. Most people allow the door to slam behind them....jarring the room next to it, so you probably will be rudely awakened when the person next door to you comes in a 2am.

This Hampton does not offer a microwave or fridge in any of their rooms. I had to go downstairs to heat up my dinner...beg for permission to use the microwave in the pantry.

Breakfast is the standard SYSCO food service processed, frozen, then re-heated food. Every morning I had to ask for a to go bowl AND lid for my oatmeal. The first morning, the hostess only brought me a bowl...

Parking is very cramped. If you don't get to the Hampton before 7pm...you probably will not find a parking spot in the garage. Seems that the garage is not monitored as many cars park over the line and are never asked to move. One car sat for three days taking up two parking spots.

The only good things were the standard Hampton comfy bed and the wifi connectivity worked great and I never lost signal.

There are many other hotels in the Boston area with similar pricing that far exceed this Hampton.

Room Tip: If you must stay here...request a room toward the back and away from the street.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank WheresAnn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Hebrew first
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The Hotel is slightly dated but still in good shape. This is a good example of trying to meet up with the current standards. The room was clean and orderly. The only problem in the room was a problem with hot water on Saturday evening (around 7pmish)

Other things to note:

+the indoor/underground parking was a nice perk.
+the location was great if you have no problem with taking the T (subway)
+staff was polite and professional

-The breakfast area is too small for the current setup. Only one toaster (drop slot toaster) which had a line waiting to use it constantly
-The 'serving area' was too close to the seats so if you are bring to get food you are almost in someones lap.

Other than that I found it a nice place to stay and would gladly stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank rgsearle
BOSCB, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Boston / Cambridge, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Dear rgsearle,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to the Hampton Inn Boston/Cambridge. We're happy you enjoyed your time with us and apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with the hot water in your guest room.

You'll be happy to know that we are in the beginning of the design stage to revamp our entire lobby and breakfast area. This should be complete by the end of 2012. We're sure if your travels bring you back to our area, you'll love the final product.

Thank you again for your time.

South Plainfield, New Jersey
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Great experience - will definitely stay again. The location of this hotel is fantastic as it is close to Boston, but not right in the thick of things. Stayed here for two nights and would recommend to anyone traveling to the Boston/Cambridge area. Hotel is updated and clean. Rooms aren't huge, but more then enough for two people (king bed room). Breakfast was great and parking is free, which is a huge savings when staying in or near city. The subway is a 2-3 minute walk from the hotel which makes it really easy to get into Boston.
In addition to the accommodations, the staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Florence155
BOSCB, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Boston / Cambridge, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Dear Florence155:

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at the Hampton Inn Boston/Cambridge. We're thrilled you enjoyed your stay! We agree, our location can't be beat and being right across from public transportation makes it so easy to see all the sights in Boston and Cambridge.

We'd love to see you again and hope you keep us in mind for future travels to the area.

Warm regards,

Lisa O'Neil
new york
Reviewed January 25, 2012

I stayed here in January 2012 on business. For a business stay, this hotel meets all of the necessary criteria: it is clean, well-managed, and spacious enough to take care of business. Also, the beds are very comfortable, which s typical for the Hampton Inn brand.

First off, I arrived by train at the Lechmere stop on the Green line, and could not see the hotel from the train. So I called the hotel's number, and the desk representative stayed on the phone with me until I arrived. That left a great first impression. What left an even better first impression was when I asked for dinner delivery menus, I was given several.

When I got to my room, I found that unlike statements in many reviews I have read, this hotel DOES have wireless Internet. Also, the street noise was not a problem because my room was on a high floor. There have also been complaints about location. While the hotel itself isn't close to much, it is close to the Lechmere T stop. This is important to know because Lechmere is where the green line of the T originates. Therefore, you can always get a train to practically everywhere in Boston. For that reason, this Hampton Inn has what I believe is the perfect location.

Room Tip: Try to stay on a high floor.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank meenooskis
BOSCB, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Boston / Cambridge, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Dear Meenooskis:

Thank you for such a thoughtful, thorough review of your recent Hampton Inn Boston/Cambridge visit! We love hearing how professional and helpful our staff is, and I'm glad that you found your accommodations clean and comfortable. As for the Wifi, the other reviews were correct at the time. However, we have just upgraded our Internet service to include both wired and wireless access in all guest rooms and increased our bandwith for faster speeds! We hope you like it.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hampton Inn Boston/Cambridge!

Manchester
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I've stayed in a lot of Hamptons because they meet my needs. Clean sheets, hot water and a decent breakfast. This is typical Hampton. Stayed here two nights on a business trip because it was close to my client. My room was 4th floor facing the street and not too noisy, but would echo the comments about getting a room in the back.

My first room was in the back, but the heater unit was noisy and I asked to change rooms - no problem and readily accomodated.

The area is a bit industial in nature and not much around, but I did walk about a half mile up to Cambridge street and over to the mall for decent restaurants. Had I been more ambitious, it would have been very easy to take the T downtown for restaurants/entertainment.

I had to be out at 5:30 each morning and although the hot breakfast wasn't out yet, the rest was and that was good enough for me.

Boston is an expensive city and with taxes, this came in at $299 for the two nights, so felt it was a pretty good value.

Room Tip: Ask for room not facing the street.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ralph W
Dear Ralph W:

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the Hampton Inn Boston/Cambridge. We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with your first room assignment. Our staff has taken the steps necessary to correct that noisy unit.

We hope to see you again on your next visit to the Boston/Cambridge area.

Happy Travels,

Long Island
Reviewed January 6, 2012

We sometimes have trouble sleeping in strange beds, but each of us had great, comfortable sleeps at this Hampton Inn for the two nights we stayed there after Christmas. The staff heeded our request for a room in the back, and even put us far from the quiet elevators and noisy ice machine. With a Camry, we had no trouble parking in the garage.
----
The purpose of our visit was to visit two families: One a short walk away in Canal Park, the other east towards Gloucester. The hotel was convenient for both. A nearby pedestrian walk signal stops traffic on O'Brien Highway, and that leads to the Green Line Lechmere station, a short underpass, and one more signal to cross Cambridge Street. Barely a 10-minute walk that way led to the busy upscale CambridgeSide Galleria Mall.
----
The Inn was spotless. Double beds made the room a bit tight, but it was well-furnished, clean, fresh, comfortable, and useful. The staff deserves commendation for the way they treat guests and maintain the building.
----
It may be only 90 yards from getting off a Green Line subway train at the Lechmere terminal to the Inn lobby across the street. Push the Walk button to halt traffic. The terminal also has four bus routes, including Route 69, across the city of Cambridge to Harvard Square every 20 minutes, a 17-minute ride.

Room Tip: We were graciously given a room away from the street. By the way, the expressways have lessened the...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank tramrider
Dear tramrider:

Thank you for taking the time to tell about your experiences at our hotel. We appreciate and value your comments and we're thrilled you had a great sleep! Those beds really are like sleeping on a cloud.

We hope you will keep our hotel in mind the next time your travels bring you back to visit family or just to explore the area.

Warm regards,

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Even with the free do-it-yourself parking and the SYSCO "breakfast" (read = pre-prepared foods, not exactly the freshest or most healthy), we felt this hotel was a bit overpriced. The rooms are updated, but our bathroom had one little sink with not much space. The location is pretty much Ewwww. Nothing scenic or cool nearby, except maybe the Museum of Science. Would have also loved a little fridge in the rooms, which this hotel does not provide. We were on this trip where my husband was working and I was traveling with him to spend some time in Boston. We stayed for seven nights and were surprised that we were not able to secure even a tiny discount for a lengthy stay. The staff was very pleasant, loved the housekeeping crew, and overall felt the hotel was very clean and quiet. We are unsure if we would select this hotel again as there are so many choices in this area with comparable pricing. Finally, as I always say, Don't forget to tip your housekeeping, probably the hardest working members of the staff!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business