“Terrific stay, perfect location for Boston sights” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Charles Hotel

Charles Hotel
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
western mass.
“Terrific stay, perfect location for Boston sights”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2011

The Charles Hotel made sure my friend and I had a terrific stay. Easy access to the airport, terrific restaurants and bars right in the hotel so we didn't have to go out on a snowy night, great location for seeing the city and exploring Harvard Square. Beautiful, spotless room overlooking Cambridge, with views of the Charles River and Boston beyond. We loved everything about our stay, particularly the comfortable suite, the attentive and friendly bartender at Noir, and the delicious bar menu at the beautiful Rialto in the hotel. Overall a wonderful weekend visit and can't wait to do it again. Highly recommend. Discovered a GREAT deal on the hotel's own website when you book 21 days in advance, hint, hint.

Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Hi Southrd,

We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your snowy visit to The Charles! It is a great place to get snowed in. Thank you for sharing your kind words about Rialto and Noir. We'll be sure to pass your comments along to the staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Harvard Square! Keep an eye out for our Snow Rates in addition to the specials you found on our website.

estefan@charleshotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Gold Coast, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights. The Hotel is in a great location, right next to Harvard Square. Everything you might need is nearby, even healthy food which is usually impossible to find in the U.S. The room was spacious, modern, clean and even had a cute TV embedded in the bathroom mirror, making it easy to watch the adverts and infomercials everywhere! Staff were friendly and helpful.
An inadvertent overcharge which appeared on the account was quickly reversed on checkout.
Highly recommended... an excellent hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Selkirk, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2010

My husband and I spent 2 nights here right before Christmas. The staff was attentive and friendly. Henritetta's Table was delightful for both lunch and breakfast. The location makes walking Harvard Square easy. The collection of American quilts is beautiful. Our room was comfortable and quiet. It is a pet friendly hotel and we did notice some barking from a room on our floor.
It was a nice respite from the holiday chaos.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear liketotravel010,

Thank you for sharing your Charles Hotel experience on Tripadvisor. We're so glad that you were able to enjoy a relaxing stay with us before the busy holiday season.

It sounds like you were able to experience many of our amenities including Henrietta's Table and the hotel art collection. If you're interested in learning more about the quilts, please send me your email address and I'll forward you a pdf that details their history.

I'll be sure to share your compliments with Chef Peter Davis and the rest of the staff at Henrietta's Table.

Have a Happy New Year! We look forward to seeing you again in 2011.
Radwell
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2010

I spent a week at the Charles Hotel in October. Overall I enjoyed the stay and the guest rooms, meeting rooms and service were very good.

The hotel is located on the edge of Harvard Square and close to the river. Good location if you plan to visit Cambridge.

The free hotel wifi was very slow at times - An issue if you are planning to spend a lot of time working from your room. I also missed not having coffee making facilities in my room.

The ground floor bar got very busy in the evenings. Great fun but the service was slow due to the number of people. I would return to the Charles Hotel if given the option in the future.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Dear NearRadwell,

Thank you for sharing your Charles Hotel experience on Tripadvisor! We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us in October. It sounds like you were able to enjoy all of the amenities that come with our central location in Harvard Square. October is an especially fun time to visit Cambridge and Boston.

Please allow us to apologize for the sluggish wifi access and slow service at Noir. We'll be sure to take a look at staffing for the bar as well as what we can do to improve internet service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles in the not-so-distant future.

Thanks again,
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2010

I spent the weekend at the Charles a few weeks ago with my mum. From the moment we arrived the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. The room was absolutely beautiful! Reminded me of a quaint New England home. The television in the bathroom mirror made the room quite impressive.
Before heading out for dinner that night we stopped into Noir Bar for a cocktail and a small bite. We had one of their delicious flat breads with peach, goat cheese and prosciuto which was delicious and just the perfect size. Great cocktail selection as well. I love the vintage decor theme of the bar - very Mad Men-esque!
The late checkout at noon was great so we could hang around in their comfy robes and order some coffee and muffins. Brunch at Henrietta's Table was excellent.
The Charles Hotel made for a fantastic weekend with my mum and I would highly recommend it!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Dear LizCon21,

Thank you for sharing your Charles Hotel experience! We're so happy to hear that both you and your Mom enjoyed your stay with us! It sounds like you were able to enjoy many of our amenities including, Henrietta's Table and Noir.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles in the not so distant future!

Thanks again,
~ Elizabeth Stefan
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2010

Staying in this hotel was a good reminder to me that things that might be minor annoyances in a moderately priced hotel can seem extremely irritating at an expensive hotel.

I stayed at the Charles while visiting Tufts University and other colleges in the Cambridge area with my daughter. The hotel is expensive but the location was perfect, so I decided to splurge. The Charles offers a (very small) discount to Tufts visitors, so I submitted a request for a double room through Tufts’ website. I received an email back from the Charles stating that they did have a room available at the discounted rate, so I confirmed by email that I wanted to reserve.

When I arrived at the hotel, I was given a room with a single king bed rather than the double room I had requested. I called down to the front desk, thinking there had been a mistake, only to be told that no double rooms were available, the hotel had very few double rooms and all had been booked long ago “because of the squash tournament,” and that my reservation was for a king room. So, apparently, even though I requested a double room, I was booked for a king with no disclosure of this fact. Not cool. I love my daughter dearly, but she is a restless sleeper, and for $309 a night, I really wanted my own bed! I asked for a rollaway bed but, no, this too was impossible because of the squash tournament. It was clear from the employee’s condescending tone that he thought I should have known about the squash tournament and how it would affect my stay. He kept asking if I wanted “extra bedding” but I don’t know what use extra bedding would be without a bed to put it on. Maybe the idea was that I should make a little nest of bedding for my kid?

Anyway, when I returned to the room that night, I was happy to find that a rollaway bed had actually arrived. So then all was well. The room was lovely, the location was great because we were able to leave our car in the hotel garage and walk all around the heart of Cambridge, and my teen was enthralled by the mirror-TV. I appreciated the free wifi. Every employee I spoke with was very pleasant, other than the guy who thought I was an idiot for not knowing that I couldn’t have a double room because of a squash tournament. I would have liked a coffee maker in the room. Coffee was set up in the lobby but the pot was empty. No big deal, I went out to Peets and got a good cup of coffee. But still, a minor annoyance that seems more irritating when you’re paying $309 plus tax.

Overall, this was a very nice hotel but I thought they were a bit shady about the reservation, and I was definitely put off by the condescending tone of that one employee. Really, a simple “sorry for the mix-up, and we’ll try to get you a rollaway bed” would have been more appropriate. I would probably stay here again, but not if it was a situation where it was important to me to have a particular room configuration.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
east northport
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2010

Came to visit my daughter who is a student @ Harvard. Had a lovely time. The Hotel may be a little $$$ but I feel that it is worth it. The location and the fact that the appreciate eco-friendly patrons is what I find most appealing. The parking garage is under the Hotel.

Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Annette1015,

We're so happy to hear that you were able to stay with us during a recent stay to visit your daughter! Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

I invite you to visit our website before your next visit to Cambridge, as we offer several seasonal promotions.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles!
Please don't hesitate to contact me if you need any additional information.

Thanks!