“Classic and modern”
Review of Charles Hotel

Charles Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed May 9, 2014

The Charles Hotel is well-located in Harvard Square. The staff was very helpful and pleasant, and the rooms were very comfortable. The surprising thing was the decor, which used both classic Colonial-style furniture and updated versions in a very modern way so that nothing felt too cute or quaint. This is a hotel that is a real class act.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
sdevenne, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to reach out. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your kind words regarding our decor.

If I can assist you in any way, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles sometime soon.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Nice hotel, friendly staff, well maintained. Well appointed rooms with mini-bar. Walking distance of quite a few nice restaurants. Windows open, which is nice touch in Boston most of the year. Their use of computers is in the dark ages though, and there were several mistakes in the reservation, repeated the next day at checkout. And they want you to FAX things to them, rather than email. Wi-fi is free, but is a real pain to use and I stopped and went back to using LTE by phone. Every time your phone or tablet times out and goes to sleep, when you go to use the wi-fi again you have to re-login even when everything is set to auto on the device (I don't have this problem anywhere else) and only a few minutes have elapsed. All-in-all, great hotel for sleeping or dining, but not quite up to speed on modern systems for communications.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank dcshoe
sdevenne, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. If I can assist you further, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles in the future.

Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

Excellent location for visiting Harvard. Very helpful staff at reception and concierge. Fitness and pool both good standard. Good restaurants: Rialto, Henrietta's kitchen and Legal Seafood within hotel. Will be returning for next Harvard meeting.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay including your time spent dining with us and your guestroom amenities.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Very much enjoyed my first stay at the Charles. Everyone from the front desk, restaurants (Noir and Henrietta's) and doormen were quite friendly. I often encounter snobby service at upscale hotels, but that wasn't the case here. I was upgraded to a Cambridge Suite (thru Platinum Card/Fine Hotels and Resorts) and thus had a great view and plenty of space. Bed was very comfortable (which was great because I was exhausted) and tv in mirror was a nice touch (though I confess I completely ignored it once I got past its novelty). Took advantage of the mini business center on the floor (nice not to have to go down to the lobby) and the free long distance calls (don't believe I've ever stayed at a hotel with that amenity). Went to Henrietta's for breakfast and lunch and greatly enjoyed both meals. I suspect this will be my first of many stays at the Charles, as I've already booked a second stay for the Summer.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your kind words regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, we look forward to welcoming you back this summer. If I can assist you in any way, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

We stayed at the Charles the first two nights of a week-long New England family vacation. The hotel wasn't as nice as we'd expected - let alone what we'd consider luxurious - but it was still a nice place, and the special deal we got at the time of our reservation coupled with the extremely convenient location made for a very good stay.

Check-in was quick, attentive and friendly. We got some help taking our bags up to our room, which was appreciated because we had so many.

The room itself was not terribly impressive. It was nicely appointed but small - quite a bit smaller than any other place we stayed over the course of our vacation, and small enough that it felt crowded with just the four of us and our bags. The bedding on both beds was stained and spotted, which we wouldn't expect at a hotel in this price range. The carpet and surroundings were likewise stained in places. The walls had a few nicks and the room as a whole was kind of beat-up.

On the plus side, the mattresses and bedding proved to be extraordinarily comfortable, enough so to be noticed by the adults and the kids, who all slept great both nights we were there. The view from our room was beautiful, both by day and night, with much of Harvard before us and Boston's skyline behind it in the distance. The shower head and water pressure in the tub were awesome, making for enjoyable showers. (I hadn't really known there was such a thing.) And the kids predictably got a bang out of the little in-mirror TV in the bathroom.

Speaking of the kids, it's worth noting for parents traveling with younger children that the Charles isn't exactly kid-friendly. Over the nearly 48 hours we were popping in and out of the place, we saw many fellow guests but apart from a couple of teenagers we saw no other children. The swimming pool is open to children only for limited windows of time - sharply limited on weekdays - and we didn't get to use it because those hours coincided with our planned activities elsewhere. We have no problem with the Charles approaching this as it chooses to approach it consistent with its predominant business and adult clientele - it's just worth keeping in mind if you plan to visit with younger children.

Because we spent a lot of our time on and around Harvard's campus, and other places both up and down the red line of the MBTA subway system, the Charles's location was impossible to beat. Still, the value proposition of the stay would have been much different if we'd paid the $300+ per night sticker price that would have applied to our stay if we hadn't been able to snag a special $199 rate. The Charles has a "Travel Tuesday" promotion through which, if you follow them on Twitter or become a Facebook "fan" of theirs, you'll find online offers for discounted rooms available on certain dates, if you book the room on that Tuesday before midnight. There are blackout dates and such and it won't work out for everyone, but this promotion worked very well for us and saved us about $250. Pretty sweet.

All in all, the Charles was the right place for our stay - principally because of its peerless location - and on a similar trip in the future we'd stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Baker1997

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I also appreciate your suggestions for improvement and will take this into consideration.

If I can assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Charles in the future.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

We arrived very late (past midnight) for our stay. When we were getting ready for bed we realized that the sink in the bathroom was stopped up. I called down to the front desk, but unfortunately there wasn't anyone who could fix the problem that evening. They did offer for us to move rooms, but we were too tired and our daughter was already in bed, so we just used the bathtub as our sink for the evening. We all commented on how comfortable the beds were (there were 3 of us). The next day we made use of their full service gym which was very nice.
I think my biggest problem was that when we asked for a good breakfast place they sent us to a very expensive sit down and dine lunch place. Even though the food was good there, it wasn't really what we had asked for or what we were looking for.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am sorry to hear of the condition of your guestroom bathroom upon check-in. I am happy to hear this issue was taken care of and you otherwise enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

I usually stay the Charles hotel when I visit harvard. However on this trip I was welcomed to cashews underneath the chair, sticky drink stains on the table, and last but not least dirty residual soap --all from the previous guest. This was my last stay there.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Skywalker917
sdevenne, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am sorry to hear of the condition of your guestroom and regret that these circumstances prevented us from providing you with the superior service that you expect and deserve. I will be addressing this issue with our Director of Services and appreciate you bringing this matter to my attention.