Charles Hotel
$158
$134
Official Site
1,993 results
All reviewshenrietta's tablebathroom mirrorharvard squaregreat locationroom servicelegal seafoodvisiting harvardhealth clubluxury hotelnew englandwonderful hotelfitness centercambridge areacomfortable roomscoffee makerenjoyed my staybusiness trip
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We arrived very late (past midnight) for our stay. When we were getting ready for bed we realized that the sink in the bathroom was stopped up. I called down to the front desk, but unfortunately there wasn't anyone who could fix the problem that evening. They did offer for us to move rooms, but we were too tired and our daughter was already in bed, so we just used the bathtub as our sink for the evening. We all commented on how comfortable the beds were (there were 3 of us). The next day we made use of their full service gym which was very nice.
I think my biggest problem was that when we asked for a good breakfast place they sent us to a very expensive sit down and dine lunch place. Even though the food was good there, it wasn't really what we had asked for or what we were looking for.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
sdevenne, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am sorry to hear of the condition of your guestroom bathroom upon check-in. I am happy to hear this issue was taken care of and you otherwise enjoyed your stay.

If I can assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Charles in the future.

Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

I usually stay the Charles hotel when I visit harvard. However on this trip I was welcomed to cashews underneath the chair, sticky drink stains on the table, and last but not least dirty residual soap --all from the previous guest. This was my last stay there.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Skywalker917
sdevenne, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am sorry to hear of the condition of your guestroom and regret that these circumstances prevented us from providing you with the superior service that you expect and deserve. I will be addressing this issue with our Director of Services and appreciate you bringing this matter to my attention.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Very comfortable bed and bright room but watch out for the bathroom. Dim lighting, sink doesn't hold water and burnt my hands with boiling water straight out of the warm tap.
I shared the boiling water concern at the front desk, (especially dangerous for kids) and got a "it does get rather hot..." response - not exactly reassuring that anything can be fixed.
For the high price, one would expect better value and service.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank 1Francis1234

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am terribly sorry to hear of the poor customer service you received while addressing your concern with our staff.

I would like to look further into this situation and hope that you would be able to provide us with more information. Please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

We love staying at The Charles. The rooms are clean, attractive and well-designed. (How often do you see an actual drawer in the bathroom?!) Extremely comfortable beds. Indoor pool is heated nicely, and the whirlpool is wonderfully powerful. Fabulous, fabulous breakfast at Henrietta's. The parking is expensive, but very often there are packages that include parking. And of course, the location can't be beat!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay.

If I can assist you in any way, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles sometime soon.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Stayed here for one night on a weekend. While the hotel tends to be more expensive than its Cambridge neighbors, the reason is the hotel's combination of clean up to date accommodations, coupled with an outstanding Harvard Square location. Very tough to beat -- even for $360/night, which is certainly on the pricey side compared to what you can pay at the other name brand hotels and boutiques on this side of the Charles River.

The hotel has been around for decades but they've done a very good job of keeping it clean, modern and up to date. The lobby is small but staff is attentive - never was too crowded for a relatively large hotel. The rooms themselves are typical American style and typical American size (for a standard room). Beds and linens were clean and comfortable. The bathroom had an in mirror TV but it was more of a 10 year ago gimmick since (a) the remote control was pretty hard to operate, and (b) everyone who travels now can watch what they want in the bathroom on their phones or tablets (if that's what they want to do in there). We had a nice view of the courtyard that peeks out to the Charles River. I could see the Legal Sea Foods restaurant that is part of the complex as well as the gym and spa. In the summer it is probably a very nice courtyard to relax in.

We had brunch at Henriettas in the hotel (separate review), and the food was quite good there but the service and crowds really took away from it. It was nice to have a unique country themed restaurant for breakfast instead of a typical buffet but the full service clearly took away from table turns and there were long lines and slow staff.

the best part of the Charles is without a doubt it's location. It is the best location in Cambridge and the only real comfort hotel in Harvard Square. I walked by others (veritas for instance and it must be impossible to avoid the noise at those hotels. Not here. This hotel is one block off of JFK Blvd but on a quiet dead end. It was really quiet. And yet, Harvard Sq was steps from our lobby, the running promenade on the Charles River is right behind the hotel and it is less than two blocks to the T or Mass Ave where you can easily walk to or take the T to Boston or out to Porter or Davis Square.

My favorite part of the hotel was actually the garage. They had an electric vehicle "juice bar" that provided priority parking and free electricity to any EVs on a first come, first serve basis. I had driven up with an electric car and it was an amazing experience to pull into the hotel garage and immediately plug in (for free). Since it is on a first come first serve basis, there's no guarantee that it will be available but there are three ports (one level 2 and two level 1s) so there should generally be room. Really cool. Wish NYC parking garages and other hotel chains did the same thing. I would highly recommend this hotel just for the ease of EV charging.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back have view of courtyard and Charles River
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I also appreciate your suggestions for improvement regarding the difficulties you experieced using our television remotes, I would be happy to address this issue with our staff.