“great location”
Review of Charles Hotel

Charles Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed November 13, 2013

right in the heart of Cambridge with everything close to hand, staff were very helpful and informative. The student area is buzzing and you must visit Harvard Square.
The Hotel has Henriettas Table situated to the rear of the Hotel and the food there is superb.
Cant wait to go back

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
sdevenne, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay including your time spent dining with us, and everything Harvard Square has to offer. If I can assist you in any way, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel sometime soon.

Alex Attia

Write a ReviewReviews (1,890)

Reviewed October 30, 2013

I love The Charles... it's my favorite place to stay in Boston. The hotel is comfortable, quiet and in a great location in Harvard Square. Henrietta's Table has a really good breakfast, Rialto has a fabulous dinner.

The Charles is in American Express' Platinum Card Fine Hotel program and in my experience is one of the most reliable hotels for getting room upgrades. The dining credit and free breakfast are very nice as well.

The only downside is that the free wifi there is pretty creaky... sometimes very slow, with the nag screen coming up frequently.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
sdevenne, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words about your recent visit to The Charles Hotel, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I also appreciate your suggestions for improvement regarding our Wi-Fi and will take this up with the appropriate department.

If I can assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Charles in the future.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

This was a work trip so we didn't choose the hotel ourselves, but we were very pleased with the location, room and service. The feature that I especially enjoyed was the access to the hotel's book shelves. They were filled with interesting books about the area as well as novels, many written by authors from the New England area. I hadn't quite finished the book I had borrowed before I was due to leave, but the staff at reception told me to take it and post it back when I was finished. I really appreciated this personal service.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay at The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay including our guest amenities as well as your interactions with our staff.

If I can assist you in any way, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles sometime soon.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

The Charles has a great location in Harvard Sq. But, if Harvard Sq isn't your focus, stay elsewhere. The rooms are very small, do not have a refrigerator, nor a coffee maker. The bathrooms are tiny and have the least possible wattage bulbs. You will need a flashlight to shave or apply make-up! The food in the restaurants is good, not great & the service is slow. Additionally, the room prices are very high - even by Boston standards.

In short: If you have to be in Harvard Sq for an extended time, the Charles is a great location, But, if you are just going to visit Harvard Sq. for a few hours, stay elsewhere in Cambridge or Downtown & take the subway/MBTA or taxi as required. You will be richer, happier & better looking!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
sdevenne, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am sorry to hear that your guest room did not live up to your expectations. I regret the circumstances that prevented us from providing you with the superior service that you expect and deserve. If I can assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com.

Thank you again, and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Charles in the future.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Rooms are not large but well appointed, concrete structure not that warm and welcoming but...the staff certainly is. Henrietta's is terrific. Great way to get the flavor of the university; thoroughly enjoyed our stay

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
sdevenne, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay at The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your time dining with us at Henrietta's Table as well as everything Cambridge has to offer. If I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles sometime soon!

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Just a minute's walk from Harvard Square, the Charles is a very nice choice in Cambridge. It's also usually the highest priced of the areas full-service hotels no matter which hotel booking website you use. I stayed there recently for a work event and found it a very comfortable and satisfactory place to stay. The meeting facilities were excellent and well-staffed too.There were two caveats for me - one a somewhat minor irritation and the other a small but significant beef. The irritation was that the little square plastic-magnetic room key you are given at reception often needs several sweeps over the room door lock to gain access. A couple of times I almost headed back down to reception to get a new key, before one final attempt got me in the room. A hotel of this quality should have a better system. The second issue was the lack of any coffee-making equipment in the room. No problem at all if there is free or easily available coffee in the hotel foyer as an alternative. But as far as I could tell there wasn't. And as an early riser who likes to have a cup of coffee and get some work done in my room first thing in the morning, this is the kind of thing that will stop me going back. I ended up going out to Crema in Harvard Square to get a coffee to bring back.

Nevertheless, the rooms are cozy and very comfortable with the whole hotel, rooms included, having a modern New England design vibe - lots of sub-Shaker style cheery trim, wood furniture and quilts. Lots of good space in the reception areas and two full service restaurants. I have eaten breakfast in Henrietta's Table several times over the last few years and it's a very good place for a business breakfast, with excellent food, even if the young servers can be a bit off-hand. The same lack of attentiveness from wait staff seems to extend to the hotel's bar too, as a previous reviewer has noted.

All in all, a very nice hotel with all the facilities you need, but not my favorite in Cambridge.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay at The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your guest room as well as your interactions with our staff. It will be my pleasure to share your comments with the team.

However, I am sorry to hear of the difficulties you experienced with your room key and appreciate you bringing this matter to my attention. Also, I want to be sure that you are aware of our complimentary coffee provided for guests. We serve coffee in our lobby every morning from 5:30-7:00. After 7AM, the complimentary coffee is available at the Host’s desk in Henrietta’s Table until 11AM. A coffee maker for your room is also available upon request and is based on availability. If I can assist you further, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles sometime soon.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

The Charles hotel was our base for a reunion trip and it was an excellent choice. The room (928) was spacious with two double beds and had a great 9th floor view out the the west over Harvard Yard. The beautiful decoration with original antique quilts in the common areas of the hotel was carried through with very attractive quilts in the bedroom. The furniture design and color choices were very attractive.

One defect was the lighting, which was not fully sufficient especially in the bathroom (mostly the fault of the placement and the mirror). The bath was also large enough for two sinks but only has one. Closet was large enough although the accordian door was awkward and would interfere with the exit door if left open. The pillows were comfortable for me, but very soft.

These are quibbles however. The room was attractive and generally well designed. The desk area is particularly spacious. The armchair very comfortable. Wireless internet worked well. The plugs and ports were easily reached and integrated into the desk. Having a rack of hooks for coats etc.was a nice touch.

Room Tip: Upper two floors with windows facing east toward the Yard have nice views.