“Best Place to Stay in Cambridge”
Review of Charles Hotel

Charles Hotel
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Rooms are not large but well appointed, concrete structure not that warm and welcoming but...the staff certainly is. Henrietta's is terrific. Great way to get the flavor of the university; thoroughly enjoyed our stay

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
sdevenne, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay at The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your time dining with us at Henrietta's Table as well as everything Cambridge has to offer. If I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles sometime soon!

There are newer reviews for Charles Hotel

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Just a minute's walk from Harvard Square, the Charles is a very nice choice in Cambridge. It's also usually the highest priced of the areas full-service hotels no matter which hotel booking website you use. I stayed there recently for a work event and found it a very comfortable and satisfactory place to stay. The meeting facilities were excellent and well-staffed too.There were two caveats for me - one a somewhat minor irritation and the other a small but significant beef. The irritation was that the little square plastic-magnetic room key you are given at reception often needs several sweeps over the room door lock to gain access. A couple of times I almost headed back down to reception to get a new key, before one final attempt got me in the room. A hotel of this quality should have a better system. The second issue was the lack of any coffee-making equipment in the room. No problem at all if there is free or easily available coffee in the hotel foyer as an alternative. But as far as I could tell there wasn't. And as an early riser who likes to have a cup of coffee and get some work done in my room first thing in the morning, this is the kind of thing that will stop me going back. I ended up going out to Crema in Harvard Square to get a coffee to bring back.

Nevertheless, the rooms are cozy and very comfortable with the whole hotel, rooms included, having a modern New England design vibe - lots of sub-Shaker style cheery trim, wood furniture and quilts. Lots of good space in the reception areas and two full service restaurants. I have eaten breakfast in Henrietta's Table several times over the last few years and it's a very good place for a business breakfast, with excellent food, even if the young servers can be a bit off-hand. The same lack of attentiveness from wait staff seems to extend to the hotel's bar too, as a previous reviewer has noted.

All in all, a very nice hotel with all the facilities you need, but not my favorite in Cambridge.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay at The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your guest room as well as your interactions with our staff. It will be my pleasure to share your comments with the team.

However, I am sorry to hear of the difficulties you experienced with your room key and appreciate you bringing this matter to my attention. Also, I want to be sure that you are aware of our complimentary coffee provided for guests. We serve coffee in our lobby every morning from 5:30-7:00. After 7AM, the complimentary coffee is available at the Host’s desk in Henrietta’s Table until 11AM. A coffee maker for your room is also available upon request and is based on availability. If I can assist you further, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles sometime soon.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

The Charles hotel was our base for a reunion trip and it was an excellent choice. The room (928) was spacious with two double beds and had a great 9th floor view out the the west over Harvard Yard. The beautiful decoration with original antique quilts in the common areas of the hotel was carried through with very attractive quilts in the bedroom. The furniture design and color choices were very attractive.

One defect was the lighting, which was not fully sufficient especially in the bathroom (mostly the fault of the placement and the mirror). The bath was also large enough for two sinks but only has one. Closet was large enough although the accordian door was awkward and would interfere with the exit door if left open. The pillows were comfortable for me, but very soft.

These are quibbles however. The room was attractive and generally well designed. The desk area is particularly spacious. The armchair very comfortable. Wireless internet worked well. The plugs and ports were easily reached and integrated into the desk. Having a rack of hooks for coats etc.was a nice touch.

Room Tip: Upper two floors with windows facing east toward the Yard have nice views.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at The Charles Hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your guestroom and I appreciate your kind words. Thank you for your suggestions for improvement and I will take this into consideration. If you have any further comments or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel sometime soon.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

It was a beautiful fall evening in Cambridge, the weekend of the Head of the Charles Regatta. We had a wonderful meal at a loacl restaurant and thought we would round it off with a dink at the bar. we waited for 25 minutes to be served and watched with initial bemusement and then frustration as the 3 bar staff spent time talking with each other and conversing with a large table of guests next to them. The couple next to us were even more frustrated as they had waited half an hour to get their check! When I went to ask to be served one of the 3 staff ( who turned out to be the manager) he said soemone would be up in the right away. After another 15 minute wait; still no servic. When I went to the bar and asked for service I was told that I would be served when they were ready. I pointed out the wait; she laughed and suggested I might want to go somewhere else if I was not satisfied. The bar manger then joined in and suggested that his team were doingtheir best and waiting 45 minutes for a drink was not unreasonable. We of course left and went back to our room in disgust. When I went to the front desk to speak to the on call manager I was told he had no jurisdiction over the bar but could contact the operations manager the next day!! This is a shame as this is a nice property with a great location marred by careless service and attitude. As we left the car park a recorded voice said" thank you and have a nice day". That was the most polite interaction we had at this hotel!!

1  Thank RC1961

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am sorry to hear you did not fully enjoy your stay as well as your interactions with our staff. Thank you for bringing these matters to my attention and they will be addressed with the appropriate team members. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority here at The Charles Hotel and we are constantly working on improving. Please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com if I can assist you further. Thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Charles in the future and providing you with the service you expect and deserve from us.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Very nice hotel, high end, but I could be anywhere in the world. I prefer something a little less Western-Generic -- more character, more history, and perhaps just a bit less comfort, but memorable for what and where it is.
All the same, very well done, with no complaints. Great location. Quiet. Helpful staff. Good breakfast, but limited range. A lot of good eating in the area -- especially Toscanos.
Will stay again, because of convienience and location.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
sdevenne, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay at The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and everything Harvard Square has to offer. It will be my pleasure to share your comments with the team. If I can assist you further, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles sometime soon.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I always stay at the Charles when I am visiting Cambridge, MA....the hotel is well run, the rooms are well appointed and comfortable. The restaurant on site is excellent for breakfast. The concierge is also super helpful.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
sdevenne, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us and everything the surrounding area has to offer. If you have any further comments, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel in the future.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is our favorite hotel in the Cambridge area, close to Harvard. The decor is comfortable New England style, with comfortable pillow top mattresses, and delightful natural bathroom products. The bathroom mirror even includes a built in TV, tastefully furnished. Excellent restaurants for dinner(Rialto), and Henrietta's Table for breakfast and Sunday brunch.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank Wendy S. S

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your visit to The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay, including your time spent dining with us and your guestroom amenities. If I can assist you in any way, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com.

Alex Attia

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
Boston Harbor Hotel
#5 of 84 in Boston
Downtown
InterContinental Boston

Been to Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!