Charles Hotel
$158
$134
Official Site
1,989 results
All reviewshenrietta's tablebathroom mirrorharvard squaregreat locationroom servicelegal seafoodvisiting harvardhealth clubluxury hotelnew englandwonderful hotelfitness centercambridge areacomfortable roomscoffee makerenjoyed my staybusiness trip
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel. The service was terrific and it was very clean and comfortable. I loved the TV in the mirror in the bathroom. It rained during my visit and the umbrella in the closet was very much appreciated. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Thank you for your kind words about your stay at The Charles. I am glad you enjoyed everything from the service received from our staff to the umbrella in your closet. It will be my pleasure to share your comments with the team. If I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel sometime soon.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Whenever we have business in the Boston area, we always pan a stay at that wonderful Charles Hotel, just a cab ride from South Station or Logan--or still a direct ride on the subway when we feel up to it.

Room Tip: Instead of a big king-sized bed, get two smaller ones and snuggle in one of them
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Thank you for your kind words regarding your time at The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you always enjoy staying with us when visiting Boston. If I can assist you in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles sometime soon.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Us: husband and me (40's), son (adorable and perfect 15 month old), Why: visiting family who live in Cambridge, When: mid-July 2013

I've stayed at the Charles twice before; in May 2009 and July 2010 - those were pre-baby days so we stayed in a Deluxe King (read that as the cheapest available) room both times. And it was fine. But small, manageable but small. Listed on the hotel website as 273 square feet, which probably means something to people who can see 273 square feet and imagine what that means in real life. Not me.

Back to the present - I sprang for the Executive King room (448 square feet); I really REALLY wanted the Cambridge Suite with an actual DOOR between the bedroom and living area but I blanched at paying more than $400/night. Even with the Executive King room I paid in the $3 hundreds but I chose to suspend reality and just prepared to wince when the credit card bill arrived the next month.

We arrived around 1pm on a July Friday (not Fourth of July weekend but the following weekend) and I was so happy to hear that our room was ready. I had requested a crib when making the reservation online and the front desk person cheerfully announced that the crib was already in the room. Yay - a place for the perfect toddler to take a nap.

We were given a room on the 6th floor; and yes, it was ready but no, there was definitely no crib in the room. It might be 448 square feet but it took about 30 seconds to see that there was no crib. I wasn't too surprised since after all, we were able to check in early (I miscalculated how little time it would take us to get to the hotel from Logan Airport). The front desk person (same one who checked us in), however, was surprised. Really, no crib? (my thought - really, do you think I put it in my purse for later?). About 30 minutes later, housekeeping brought the crib in, already made up with sheets and a bumper (should have taken a photo before son tumbled around in it).

But I digress ...
What I liked:
*** the location, the location, the location. We put the toddler in our umbrella stroller and were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go. You are (gulp) definitely paying a premium for the wonderful location.
*** the room itself; L-shaped, allowed us to put the crib around the corner, so toddler son could have a little part of the room to himself when he slept.
*** the view; I'm terrible with direction but it looked toward Harvard (not the courtyard like our last stay) and had great light.
*** I adored the freebie slippers. They actually fit (size 6-1/2) and I wasn't shuffling around in slippers meant for one-size-fits-only-bigger-feet.
*** Having a real table with real chairs (4) meant for eating was so so nice when traveling with a toddler. So so so so so nice.

What I wasn't in love with:
*** The bathroom: sink (single), toilet and bathtub all in one room. Might be cheesy to have the sink apart from the toilet/bathtub, but a far more practical arrangement.
*** I knew there is no coffee offered in the rooms. I knew this and booked the room anyway because I love the location and hotel options are few in that part of Cambridge. But the management couldn't throw a few Keurigs in the rooms, or if that was unacceptable, they couldn't put a common coffee/beverage area in the lobby? Even the Four Seasons (Santa Barbara) and the Inn at Perry Cabin (St Michael's, Maryland) where we've paid even more mucho bucks for rooms, offer coffee in a centralized location. And if there was such a location at the Charles, either no one told us about it, or I didn't see it. Had to have the husband ferry out to Peet's Coffee each morning of the weekend to get the java.
*** Forgot that there is no ice maker on any floor; that if I wanted ice, it was complimentary and I needed to call housekeeping to bring it. Yes, I wanted ice; no, I didn't call. I didn't feel right getting my bucket o'ice and not tipping, but I didn't want to tip to get my bucket o'ice. Why I have an issue with that when I'm paying $300+/night for a hotel room, is an issue for another post.

Not sure what to think about this - I had asked for a mini-fridge when we checked in. I have no problem paying a surcharge for a mini-fridge (which I told the front desk person), but she told me i could just rearrange the items in the mini-bar fridge to put my own things in there. Really? That felt like breaking the mini-bar fridge rules. There's no laser beam thingy in there? Her response was no, there wasn't and it would be fine. She was polite. (I didn't want anyone to think that she wasn't. She was very polite and professional.)

But really, Charles Hotel people, it might have been fine but it wasn't fun. My sister brought me a quart of whole milk, a bag of string cheese and some packaged deli meat as requested by me for the perfect toddler. I had to remove every non-perishable item in the mini-bar fridge in order to Tetris-fit those 3 items into it. Out went the Pringles, the M&M's, the soda cans - banished to live amongst the high-end glossy-paged magazines artfully arranged on top of the console. I was paranoid that the quart of whole milk would leak after being opened so I used the string cheese packet to prop the milk carton up enough against a soda can so that the milk level would stay below the carton cap. Which irritated the husband - didn't you ask for a fridge? me - Yup. Him - Why did they tell you to use this one like this? me - Don't know. Offered to pay. I don't know. Wasn't my idea. We got one last time (July 2010).

Highlight of the hotel was eating dinner at Henrietta's Table - and we ate there because I wasn't dragging the perfect toddler any farther than we had to go; although our server/waitperson woman was cursory in attention (call me a biddy (which I admit I am) but I am offended when the server takes a man's order before mine. That is total nonsense. I don't care if he just starts giving you his order. You should deflect his order until all the ladies have ordered.), the food was lovely lovely lovely. I actually finished my entire meal (which almost never happens) - it was that good. Everyone (three other adults) also raved about their meals. Wonderful meal. The other servers were great (and the first one was OK, but just OK).

In sum, would I go back? Yes I would. It is pricey and there is no coffee and no ice (don't judge until you're in my comfy Charles Hotel slippers), but the location is stellar. And I would eat at Henrietta's Table again, yum yum.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank hbun04
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you and your family overall enjoyed your stay with us and were able to take advantage of everything the surrounding area has to offer. I appreciate your suggestions for improvement and will take these into consideration, including coffee makers in the room. I do want to be sure that you are aware of our complimentary coffee provided for guests. We serve coffee in our lobby every morning from 5:30 until 7:00. As of 7AM, the complimentary coffee is available at the Host’s desk in Henrietta’s Table until 11 AM. A coffee pot is also available upon request, based on availability. If I can assist you further, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com and I am happy to speak with you. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you and yours back to The Charles sometime soon.

Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

A couple of nights ago, me and my family were in the Charles Hotel. Just to start with boston is a beatuful city with all sorts of kinds of things to do. The hotel is super clean. Greate service at all times. Theres three restaurants/bar. 1) The Noir: The noir is a bar/ launge with music and refreshing drinks.
2) Regattabar: A nice bar/restaurant with tasty food.
3) ( I don't remember the name) It serves breakfast. Around the corner theres the greate legal seafood. I hope you enjoy yuor stance in the charles

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Iniodri

Thank you for your feedback regarding your time spent at The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your time in our restaurants and bars as well as your interactions with our staff. Please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com if I can assist you further. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles in the future.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Reliable Internet connection, Convenient indoor parking (a rarity in Cambridge). Restaurant has great reputation (though didn't try it this last time). Apples and candy always available at front desk -- and greatly appreciated.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay at The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed yourself as well as the amenities offered. If I can assist you further, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles sometime soon.