“I love this hotel room”

Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
tanida888
“I love this hotel room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2008

I had to attend the graduation ceremony in Concord. It took just 30 minutes from this hotel. The room is nice and comfortable. Just 10 minutes walk from hotel, I could find the best hot chocolate that i ever drank.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2008

I normally stay in downtown Boston, but since I had meetings in Cambridge all day I decided to take the plunge and try something different. I'm glad I did. The Charles is a nice property with a cool location right on Harvard Square (around the corner from the Kennedy School to be exact). I got in a night and there was decent night time activity and vibe, much like I find downtown.

The room was plenty big and comfortable. Good work space with broadband, Bose Wave radio, DVD player (but no rentals)...a lot of what one has come to expect at nicer hotels. Service was good. Room service food was fine but pricey.

Best part about the location was access to the running trail by the Charles River. If you're a runner you need to take advantage of that.

The one hiccup didn't effect my stay, and in fact raised my opinion of the hotel, but was kind of funny. When I got into my room I noticed the welcome screen on the TV had a name other than my own on it. I didn't think anything about it until the front desk called me around 11 pm to ask my name. 2 mins later my TV rebooted and showed a welcome screen with my name on it. Clearly they checked me into the wrong room. And to their credit not only did they not send the other guest to my room, but they did not ask me to move.

Next time I am in the Boston area and not needing to stay downtown I will stay here.

Stayed May 2008
East Greenwich, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2008

I stayed for 2 nights for a conference at the hotel. Valet was great, check in was very smooth.
The rooms are very clean and modern. Flat screen TV,internet and aTV built into the bathroom mirror(very cool).
The bed was one of the best I have ever slept in, very expensive coverings and pillows.
The staff was excellent and the service was top notch.
I walked to several pubs and many stores in the area. I was surprised at how nice the area was even in the middle of winter.

• Liked — Clean and comfortable.
  • Disliked — 34.00 for parking daily.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2008

I have stayed at the Charles many times, and generally enjoy it... HOWEVER their cancellation policy is horrible. The hotel had a reservation in my name, on my credit card. It was made through a travel agent that books all my travel. I needed to cancel my reservation and was told by the staff at the Charles that they would not cancel it, the travel agent needed to cancel it. This is a ridiculously STUPID policy. The travel agency is closed after hours and on weekends. The RESERVATION WAS IN MY NAME AND ON MY CREDIT CARD.

There are a lot of great hotels in Boston. Though I have frequently stayed at the Charles it is defiantly time to move on. I would suggest the same for all others.

Stayed February 2008
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2008

The location is ideal for those visiting Harvard. Smack dab in the middle of Harvard Square, you can get anywhere you need in Cambridge quickly.

The service varied from good to excellent. The bellmen and the cleaning people were very friendly and accomodating. Check in was sort of gruff. I checked in at 5PM and had to wait about 15 minutes to see if a room was available. Meanwhile, 5 other people checked-in while standing in the line next to me. A little odd - my company was paying $375 for the night after all.

Check in aside, my room was nicely appointed. Flat screen tv, large comfortable king bed, a desk, a large chair and ottoman. The room was exceptionally clean and showed no wear and tear. The bathroom was very nice. Large marble sink, odd tub/shower. A nice touch was the TV screen in the mirror of the bathroom. Water pressure was decent.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay. If you can get a good deal, i'd recommend staying at the Charles.

Stayed January 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2008

I stayed here for one night in January. The rooms are decent size with good amenities - Origins Mint bathroom amenities helped with jet lag.
The overall experience is not 4 stars though - service needs improving - check in, restaurants and housekeeping.
The location is excellent for Harvard and HBS.
The breakfast is good for the price - but a little greasy.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2007

We stayed here for a weekend in November, Its located literally within a few hundred feet of the Harvard campus itself, and is walking distance from some really nice restaurants and stores. We were generally satisfied with the place...the decor was tasteful and the the rooms were comfortable. we loved the beds and the mirror tv in the bathroom. however we were dissapointed with the concierges who weren't too helpful. They did make some good restaurant suggestions (they are equipped with the menus of nearly every nice restaurant in the ares) but they claimed that certain restaurants didn't have any open tables...when we called those restaurants ourselves, we easily got reservations. We requested some information, and they didn't call us back with it. Finally, we just called them, and they still weren't able to get a real answer. We enjoyed Rialto, the restaurant in the hotel as well as Regatta, the lounge which had shows on each of the nights we were there. (The bar menu is kind of hit or miss, though.) They have a pretty decent room service menu, and everything we ordered arrived quicker than we expected. Overall I'd recommend the Charles, just dont rely too heavily on the concierge.

• Liked — room (fluffy beds, mirror tv), location,
  • Disliked — concierge
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends