“Unfriendly staff, but good location...”
Review of Charles Hotel

Charles Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed May 14, 2013

The feeling you get when you walk into this hotel is one of hostility. It was not welcoming at all. The staff (inside and outside) simply look at you with blank stares and YOU need to approach them to find out more information or check-in.

Wasn't very impressed with the service levels, but the rooms are spacious and the location is good - close to shops, restaurants and campus.

Doubt I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Chevara N
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Charles Hotel. I apologize for the lack of interactions you had with our staff and will address this matter with the appropriate team members. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority here at The Charles and we are constantly working on improving. However, I am happy you were able to take advantage of everything the surrounding area has to offer and enjoyed your guestroom. If I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel sometime soon.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stay at the Charles hotel from time to time. It is a good hotel in many ways, with a very good location. Just something for travelers to be aware of: the reservation department is not easy to deal with. First, cancellations are 48 hours and not the usual 24 hours for business hotel. Second, it is difficult to cancel because they are not linked to a global 1-800 number and they are hard to reach by phone so it may be difficult to call them. I tried to call them 3 days before my trip, then 2 days, and no way of getting hold of them. When I spoke to the supervisor, she was rude an insinuated that I had perhaps not called ahead after all. I ended up being charged.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MTHSanFrancisco
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience with The Charles Hotel. I apologize that you were unable to get in touch with our reservations department regarding your reservation. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority here at The Charles. If you have any questions or if I can assist you in any way, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel in the future.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I stayed at the Charles for business and was extremely satisfied by the hotel and the service that I received. Upon checking in, I was upgraded to a larger available room. The room was terrific. Comfortable bed, nice amenities, free wifi, very clean. The service was outstanding. I ordered room service and the food arrived quickly and was fresh from the kitchen. For breakfast, I ate at Henrietta's table in the hotel. I had no idea what a treasure that place is. Wonderful breakfast. I highly recommend the banana bread. I lingered for a while and never felt rushed, even with the fairly busy morning in the restaurant.

All in all, a wonderful stay...I only wish I was able to stay there a bit longer.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay at The Charles Hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay, including your room and time spent dining with us. It will be my pleasure to share your comments with the team. If I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles in the future.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

It is pricy, but the service is average. The wifi stability is poor as well. They ended up charging my creditcard twice saying that this is their SOP. Now I know why my collegues didn't stay in this hotel during the conference. Bottom line, the service was terrible considering the price.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank APL187

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at The Charles Hotel. I apologize for the inconveniences brought upon you due to the service you received, the trouble you had with the Wi-Fi connection and the incorrect charge on your bill. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority here at The Charles and we are constantly working on improving. Thank you for bringing these matters to my attention. If I can assist you further, please do not hestitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Charles and giving you the experience you deserve.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed at many places in Cambridge and this was by far the most expensive. Great staff and a greater location. They have free internet and a very well equipped gym and restaurants are awesome. Also internet is at no charge which was surprising for how much a room cost here. Good experience overall.

Room Tip: If you can get better rates by booking early, don't hesitate
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay at The Charles Hotel. I appreciate your kind words regarding the Wellbridge Athletic Club, your time spent dining with us, our staff and location. If I can assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles sometime soon!

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I wasn't going to write a review because there are already so many good ones but here goes . . . I could sum it all up with the title (but I won't). Comfy bed with luxurious linens, quirky but classy room decor (love the wall clock with exposed gears!), nice bath products, a tv in the bathroom mirror, very quiet, convenient location, tasty and reasonably priced room service. Since there was nothing going on at Harvard when we were there the price was relatively inexpensive. The staff was friendly and helpful. I would've appreciated an in-room coffee maker but it seems that is against the fire codes in Cambridge. We had breakfast at Henrietta's Table on the last day of our stay and it was lovely. The room is open and sunny and the food was great. We parked in the attached garage, which is not operated by the hotel but I'll mention it anyway. It was immaculate, the cleanest parking garage I have ever seen. It was pricey, though, about $35 a day. I guess that's pretty standard in the area but it still stings. Ultimately, I don't have a bad thing to say about the Charles Hotel!

Room Tip: Ordering room service for breakfast on a Sunday can be cheaper than the prix fixe Sunday brunch at H...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay at The Charles! I am very happy to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay including, but not limited to, your guestroom, the surrounding area and your time spent dining at Henrietta's Table. If I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Excellent food in all restaurants and well equipped gym. Responsive professional staff. Rooms are fine but Bathroom was tiny and slightly inconvenient for a 3 day stay. Rates are no bargain - especially with all the local taxes. Can't beat location if you have business at Harvard.

• Stayed: April 2013
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your time at the Wellbridge Athletic Club as well as our restaurants during your stay. I also appreciate your kind words regarding our staff. It will be my pleasure to share your comments with the team. However, I am sorry to hear you were not fully satisfied with your guestroom. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority here at The Charles and we are constantly working on improving. If I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles in the future.

Alex Attia

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
Kendall Hotel
#1 of 19 in Cambridge
Downtown
InterContinental Boston

Been to Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!