“Excellent.”
Review of Charles Hotel

Charles Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I wasn't going to write a review because there are already so many good ones but here goes . . . I could sum it all up with the title (but I won't). Comfy bed with luxurious linens, quirky but classy room decor (love the wall clock with exposed gears!), nice bath products, a tv in the bathroom mirror, very quiet, convenient location, tasty and reasonably priced room service. Since there was nothing going on at Harvard when we were there the price was relatively inexpensive. The staff was friendly and helpful. I would've appreciated an in-room coffee maker but it seems that is against the fire codes in Cambridge. We had breakfast at Henrietta's Table on the last day of our stay and it was lovely. The room is open and sunny and the food was great. We parked in the attached garage, which is not operated by the hotel but I'll mention it anyway. It was immaculate, the cleanest parking garage I have ever seen. It was pricey, though, about $35 a day. I guess that's pretty standard in the area but it still stings. Ultimately, I don't have a bad thing to say about the Charles Hotel!

Room Tip: Ordering room service for breakfast on a Sunday can be cheaper than the prix fixe Sunday brunch at H...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay at The Charles! I am very happy to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay including, but not limited to, your guestroom, the surrounding area and your time spent dining at Henrietta's Table. If I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Excellent food in all restaurants and well equipped gym. Responsive professional staff. Rooms are fine but Bathroom was tiny and slightly inconvenient for a 3 day stay. Rates are no bargain - especially with all the local taxes. Can't beat location if you have business at Harvard.

• Stayed: April 2013
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your time at the Wellbridge Athletic Club as well as our restaurants during your stay. I also appreciate your kind words regarding our staff. It will be my pleasure to share your comments with the team. However, I am sorry to hear you were not fully satisfied with your guestroom. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority here at The Charles and we are constantly working on improving. If I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles in the future.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The location can't be beat - a short walk to much of the Harvard University campus, even the Business School across the river is only 15 minutes away.

The rooms are reasonably spacious and comfortably furnished with nice bedding and a good chair with an ottoman for relaxing. The floor plan has a small entry, so there is no view straight into the room when the door is open and hall noises are blocked from the sleeping area - nice touch! The bathroom is a little small, but has everything you need including a lighted magnifying mirror and a TV behind the wall mirror that becomes visible in the mirror when you turn it on.

I had one meal in the main hotel restaurant and noticed that many items featured locally sourced ingredients.

The price includes free wifi everywhere in the hotel I tried.

My only complaint was the view - I had a very uninspiring view of a dreary courtyard. Perhaps if I'd paid more I could have gotten a river or even a city view, but I wasn't offered a choice.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your stay at The Charles Hotel! I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your guestroom as well as your time spent dining with us. Please accept my apologies for the view from your guestroom. Upon your next arrival you are more than welcome to request the specific view you would like. If I can assist you further, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles in the future!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a lovely place to stay in downtown Cambridge; convenient to transportation, attractive decor, fine fitness center. The restaurants surrounding the hotel are excellent as well. I would stay again, with pleasure!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay at The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and were able to take advantage of everything Harvard Square has to offer. Please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com if there is anything further I can assist you with. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles in the future.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed here for five nights and overall the stay was great. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was clean with free Internet which is a plus for a nice hotel. The only complaint was the shower is weak and hard to control the temperature. Parking is expensive but what you expect in Boston. The location is very convenient to Harvard square. They have a nice fitness club which I did not use. No coffee in the room but complimentary coffee on the second floor, a bit of a hassle.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at The Charles Hotel. I am sorry to hear you were not happy with the water pressure, water temperature and parking rates. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority here at The Charles and we are constantly working on improving. Regarding in-room coffee, upon check in you may simply request a coffee maker for your room and if one is available it will be provided. However, I am happy to hear you took advantage of everything the surrounding area has to offer and that you enjoyed your stay and had postive interactions with our staff. If I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel in the future.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I'll admit it. I am on a personal campaign to get hotels to STOP CHARGING FOR INTERNET ACCESS. This is mothers milk for business travelers (why not just charge for flushing toilets)! To their credit, the Charles Hotel doesn't charge for internet access, which is surprising for a top notch hotel.

I live in NYC now, but lived in the Boston area for 50 years. This is a great location to see the Boston area without getting mired in Boston traffic. Harvard Square has the feel of a college town with lots to see and do, great restaurants, beautiful Charles River walkways, lots of history, and you are minutes from downtown Boston via the Red Line "T".

The Charles Hotel is the best hotel in the Cambridge area. Clean, good sized rooms that are well appointed, and very New Englandy. Not stuffy. The staff was super friendly (unusual for Boston where service people often act like landed Russian royalty) and efficient. Obviously well trained.

Three beefs: 1) the water pressure in the shower was not so great and not very hot (I like my skin taken off), 2) parking garage rates are insane, and 3) there is no coffee maker in the room. You have to schlepp down to Henriettas restaurant to get a complimentary cup. Would it kill them to put a coffee maker in the room... especially with what they get for a rack rate? If those things aren't important to you this is a 5 star hotel.

The restaurants in the hotel are superb. Henrietta's Kitchen has a great brunch. Rialto is one of the top Italian restaurant in the city, and of course Legal Seafood is a great standby for consistently excellent seafood (the NE clam chowder is really good). Check out the burgers at Craigie on Main... they should be their own food group, although the double cheeseburger with fries special at Charlie's Kitchen across from the hotel are sinful if you like your burgers on the greasy side in a more downscale environment. :-). I entertained business associates from Paris a few years ago who said the Harvest restaurant a block away from the Charles Hotel has the best seafood they had ever had (oh how that killed them to say that).

I got a room here for $185 on Priceline. Otherwise get ready to pay through the nose.

Room Tip: Use Priceline to get a good rate. NE clam chowder at Legal Seafood is great.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at The Charles Hotel. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences brought upon you due to the water pressure, water temperature, parking rates and lack of coffee maker in the guestrooms. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority and we are constantly working on improving. As for the coffee maker, upon check in simply ask for a coffee maker for your room and, if available, one will be provided. However, I appreciate your kind words praising our location, dining options and the interactions you had with our staff. If I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel in the future.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed at The Charles for a week earlier this month for a business course. Spacious, comfortable rooms, friendly efficient staff.
Two awesome restaurants in the hotel; this was reflected in the breakfast and lunches provided for the meeting, which were very tasty and well-presented, several steps above the usual conference food.
Location in Harvard Square is great for exploring Cambridge.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay at The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your time spent dining with us as well as your interactions with our staff. If I can assist you further, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles sometime soon.

Alex Attia

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
Kendall Hotel
#1 of 19 in Cambridge
Downtown
InterContinental Boston

Been to Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!