“Excellent Hotel, Great Location”
Review of Charles Hotel

Charles Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed March 25, 2013

The Charles Hotel is great. It has excellent restaurants, Henrietta's Table and Rialto, and the location can't be beat. Located right in Harvard Square, it is easy to get to Boston (red line is a one minute walk). The decor is very New England, and the rooms are spacious and well-decorated. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars is that the water for both the shower and sink did not get very hot, and it took quite a while for it to heat up. Also, my room was facing the pool- and I mean literally. I was directly above the hot tub and the smell of chlorine was a bit overwhelming. I would absolutely stay there next time, but I would ask to not be placed with a view of the pool! Also, the bathroom mirror TV is great, and there is free wireless internet.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay at The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your time spent dining with us as well as our decor and location. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay, including the weak water pressure and the view from your guestroom. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority here at The Charles and we are constantly working on improving. If I can assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel sometime soon!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was at the Charles Hotel for 7 days. The rooms were very tastefully decorated and very clean. The staff was very friendly , helpful and accommodating. There are two spectacular restaurants with nationally known chefs... Food was awesome! There is a Jazz club that hosts famous jazz artists from time to time. Just a great place. Right at Harvard Square and a 5 minute walk to public transportation. The downside...a bit pricey and NO, yes I said NO coffee in the room!

• Stayed: March 2013
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your time spent interacting with our staff as well as your guestroom and dining experiences. I also appreciate your kind words regarding the Regattabar and am glad you were able to take advantage of everything the surrounding area has to offer. I appreciate your suggestion regarding coffee makers in the room and will take it under advisement. However, I do want to be sure that you are aware of our complimentary coffee provided for guests. We serve coffee in our lobby every morning from 5:30 until 7:00. As of 7AM, the complimentary coffee is available at the Host’s desk in Henrietta’s Table until 11 AM. If I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles in the future.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Charles Hotel, just off Harvard Square, is a gem. The rooms are beautifully appointed -- there's even a tv built into the bathroom mirror! -- and the staff couldn't be more helpful. The two restaurants give you a range of choices, and out on the plaza (that the hotel overlooks), there's also a Legal Seafood. If you like jazz, the hotel is home to the Regatta Bar, a great venue. And of course you can spend hours walking around Harvard, visiting numerous shops, galleries and museums. We stayed there as a little romantic getaway after attending a play at the fabuous American Repertory Theater, just a few blocks away.

And of course, if you want to hop in your car or take the T, you can be at a number of other popular squares (Porter, Central, Kendall) in just a few minutes, not to mention MIT and, across the Charles River, Boston. Surprisingly inexpensive, given Boston room rates, but don't tell them I said so.

FYI: We didn't use the spa, so no rating, but we've heard it's great. There's under-the-hotel parking, which is very convenient, and even a "juice bar" if you are one of those enlightened folks who drive an electric car.

Room Tip: Request a room high up that overlooks the Harvard campus, the Charles, and the Boston skyline.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at The Charles Hotel. I appreciate your kind words praising your guestroom, the Regattabar and our staff. I will be sure to share your comments with the team. I am glad you were able to take advantage of everything the surrounding area has to offer. Please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com if I can assist you in any way. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel sometime soon.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

On a holiday trip this winter to Boston, my husband and I enjoyed a wonderful stay at the Charles. Service was exceptional, location was prime, and the accommodations were gorgeous. While we didn't use it during our stay, I loved the ice skating rink out front. There was a plethora of eateries within walking distance. Our view was awesome. The one thing I was remiss about was that Henrietta's was undergoing renovations during our visit and we didn't have the opportunity to dine there. My favorite aspect of this hotel was the room service. The food was delicious and fresh. Very prompt service!

Room Tip: Request a room facing the Courtyard - facing Harvard Stadium.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us at The Charles. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and everything we, as well as the surrounding area, have to offer. I apologize for the inconvenience brought upon you due to the renovations which were occuring at Henrietta's Table during your stay but am very happy you enjoyed the room service you received. If I can assist you in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel, and Henrietta's Table, in the future!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

If your trip to the Boston area is not about being ‘in’ Boston, The Charles is the place to stay. Especially if your focus is the Harvard area. And there is a lot to see in the area, such as the museums and theaters associated with Harvard.

The Charles is priced high, but it is worth it. Look for a deal associated with an area venue. The Charles does offer discounts for such things. We were discounted through a play at the Loeb Drama Center.

The only issues we had were with the bed being too soft and the quality of the room service food not being worth what they are charging. We’ve stayed in comparable hotels in other cities with the same room service prices, but much higher quality meals.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at The Charles. I enjoyed your kind words and am happy you were able to enjoy everything the surrounding area has to offer. However, I am sorry to hear you found your bed uncomfortable and did not fully enjoy your room service meal. Thank you for bringing these matters to my attention and I will be addressing them with the appropriate team members. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority here at The Charles and we are constantly working on improving. If I can assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel in the future.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I had a beautiful room. Two big windows overlooking Harvard square, big TV, TV in bathroom mirror, lots of outlets, free wi-fi, nice linens. Location is great. Housekeeping did a nice job, Very respectful. Hotel food was outstanding.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your recent stay with us at The Charles. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your guest room as well as your time spent dining with us, our location and your interactions with our staff. It will be my pleasure to share your comments with the team. If I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel in the future.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

The hotel itself is charming and comfortable. I recently stayed over for 2 nights in a
well-appointed room and had meals at the excellent Henrietta's Table. However during most of my stay there was no hot water in the bathroom sink and the heat was not working properly - no matter how I adjusted the thermostat it was extremely
cold in the mornings. These are important deficiencies in a hotel which is rather pricey.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank wally f
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I apologize for the inconvenience brought upon you due to the lack of hot water and insufficient heat. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority here at The Charles and we are constantly working on improving. Thank you for informing me of this and it has been brought to the attention of our Director of Engineering. However, I am happy that you otherwise enjoyed your stay as well as your time spent dining at Henrietta's Table. If I can assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel in the future.

Alex Attia

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
Kendall Hotel
#1 of 19 in Cambridge
Downtown
InterContinental Boston

Been to Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!