“Brrrrr”
Review of Charles Hotel

Charles Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed March 3, 2013

The hotel itself is charming and comfortable. I recently stayed over for 2 nights in a
well-appointed room and had meals at the excellent Henrietta's Table. However during most of my stay there was no hot water in the bathroom sink and the heat was not working properly - no matter how I adjusted the thermostat it was extremely
cold in the mornings. These are important deficiencies in a hotel which is rather pricey.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank wally f
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I apologize for the inconvenience brought upon you due to the lack of hot water and insufficient heat. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority here at The Charles and we are constantly working on improving. Thank you for informing me of this and it has been brought to the attention of our Director of Engineering. However, I am happy that you otherwise enjoyed your stay as well as your time spent dining at Henrietta's Table. If I can assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel in the future.

Alex Attia

Write a ReviewReviews (1,927)

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Only having one night to spend at the Charles is like letting a child take only one "MM" out of the one pound bag! I was left wanting another! Very "over the top" service. I really felt like they were glad we came! Thank you for making the final surprise of the day (my Wife's 50th birthday) the best!

Room Tip: We had a room facing the interior courtyard, very quiet!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your Charles Hotel experience with us. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay as well as your wife's special birthday celebration! We are always honored to be able to contribute to a special occassion. If I can assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel sometime soon!

Reviewed February 16, 2013

First time at the Charles and I hope I have the opportunity to return.

The rooms are wonderful. Quality furniture that's also comfortable. The bed was one of the best I've slept on in years! The accessories in the room were all top-flight, though the iron in the room was falling apart. (Maybe hotels stock rooms with cheap/flimsy/near broken irons to keep them from disappearing. A large golf umbrella was in the closet; what a VERY nice touch.

The food at Henrietta's was fresh, tasty and well-prepared.

I had none of the service problems that other reviewers experienced. All were warm, friendly and very helpful. My only complaint is that I wish I had been able to checkout later than 12.30p, but that's not the fault of the front-desk staff.

Easy walk to everything in Harvard Square. Will definitely stay again if I'm headed to this part of the Boston area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ontheroadtoomuch
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your stay with us at The Charles. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed not only your accommodations and time spent dining with us, but your interactions with our staff and location as well. If I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel in the future!

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Just spent a couple of days at the Charles Square Hotel in Harvard Square Cambridge, MA. I must say that my stay was wonderful. The staff was very kind and helpful, room service was good, the bars are fun. The location can't be beat if you want to stay in Harvard Square, I will be back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your recent stay at The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed yourself and appreciate your kind words regarding your interactions with our staff. If you have any further comments or concerns, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles in the near future!

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Stayed here for one night for business. A friend told me that this is where everyone who has business at Harvard stays. The rooms are nice, clean and comfortable, and the hotel is pleasant enough but was struck by the complete lack of service. It felt like a nicer version of one of those hotels attached to college campuses where they know they never need to do anything to get people's business.

When I arrived in a cab around 5:30pm, there was no one to help with luggage. When I entered the lobby, I saw the doorman and another staff person talking in the middle of the lobby, completely ignoring guests. I had asked for a room away from the elevators when I made the reservation, but what I got was the room closest to the elevators. When I came down a couple hours later to head out for dinner, the doorman (who was still inside) was blocking the way to the revolving doors and talking to another staff person. He just looked at me when I tried to pass by them.

During my entire stay, no one ever greeted me. Nor was there a turn down service. The only helpful person was the parking attendant (who isn't hotel staff), who helped get me a cab, give me directions etc.

It may be worth it to stay here for the convenience to the university, but I probably wouldn't pay the rack rate. For approx. $300, there are other hotels with better service. Boston/Cambridge has easy public transportation and plenty of cabs.

Also, re water pressure in the showers, which someone else mentioned, the pressure is indeed low (though not the worst I've experienced). It's not a mechanical problem though. It's deliberately set up that way. The television is flat-panel Samsung but the channels are standard-definition so the images are terrible (if you care about that sort of thing).

2  Thank ykwriter
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at The Charles Hotel. I am sorry for the lack of assistance you received upon arrival and throughout your stay; this is not acceptable and will be brought to the attention of the appropriate team members. I also apologize for any inconvenience brought upon you due to the weak water pressure in the shower and image quality on the television. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority here at The Charles and we are constantly working on improving. However, I appreciate your kind words regarding the parking attendant you interacted with. If I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Charles sometime soon and giving you the experience you expect and deserve from us.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I have stayed numerous time on this nice, well located almost classic despite not so old hotel. Last time I was here I was dissapointed about the lack of atmosphere and more personal touch I had experienced earlier. But staff this time was much more attentive and less mechanical in their customer ineraction. Room was good, nice view over Cambridge, light and spacious.
Dissapointment was that breakfast resaturant was closed for renovation and the replacement was not really up to standard. Dinner at the restaurant was ok for American standards but far from what is promoted by the marketing people and the description of the dishes sound a lot more interesting than what is actually served.

Room Tip: Higher level floors have nice views
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay with us at The Charles Hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your room and had memorable interactions with our staff which made your stay more enjoyable. However, I am sorry to hear you were not fully satisfied with your time spent dining with us and apologize for our temporary breakfast arrangement due to our restaurant renovation. I will address these concerns with the appropriate team members. If I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel in the future.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Very, very friendly staff in every part of the hotel and great service. Super comfortable beds. Two restaurants, including Henrietta's Table, which has a farm to table theme. Fantastic breakfasts. Adjoining pool, spa, and gym are bright, clean, and comprehensive. 2 blocks from Harvard Yard and Cambridge shopping.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind words about your time spent at The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your guestroom, our restaurants, Corbu Spa and the Wellbridge Athletic Club. I also appreciate your positive feedback regarding your interactions with our staff. If I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel sometime soon.