Charles Hotel
$158
$134
Official Site
1,989 results
All reviewshenrietta's tablebathroom mirrorharvard squaregreat locationroom servicelegal seafoodvisiting harvardhealth clubluxury hotelnew englandwonderful hotelfitness centercambridge areacomfortable roomscoffee makerenjoyed my staybusiness trip
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I have stayed at the Charles 4 or 5 times over the past 10 years. I find the hotel to be very comfortable and quiet, the staff are helpful, and the location is great. It also has a fine restaurant, a top flight jazz club, and access to a very nice fitness club. I have stayed at a number of other places in Cambridge when traveling for business, but the Charles is my first choice.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Thank you for your rewarding words regarding your stays at the Charles Hotel. I am glad you were able to take advantage of all the surrounding area has to offer in addition to the Regattabar and Wellbridge Athletic Club. Your kind comments about our staff are greatly appreciated and will not go unnoticed. If I can assist you further, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel in the future.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Spent 3 nights in slow "between classes" period. Got 9th floor, interior courtyard facing updated room - quiet, even though was across from laundry and had a dog and baby next door. Interior arrangement of rooms and halls gives a lot of shielding from elevator and hall traffic noise.

Room in good condition w/newish coarse-woven, low maintenance, rug and furniture and bathroom in excellent/good condition. Had comp wi-fi in all rooms which was excellent. Nice king bed w/good sheets.

As the normal breakfast restaurant was being refloored, the high-end dining room was used which resulted in $20 +/- $2 for hot/cold buffet only, w/o tip. Food was good, but not great. Ate all other meals in the many, many restaurants very close (< 100 yards) nearby.

Parking is expensive ($36 for 12 hrs), even compared to other garages nearby, but it is under the hotel so is very convenient, well-lighted and safe.

The in-room "electronics" were not state-of-the-art; even getting a message on the phone was a challenge. There was no iPad in the room, which some places provide now, nor concierge info screen. The Inn @ Penn, for example, has all of these.

They have apparently taken an Eco approach as their forte, IMHO, to the extreme. The room heater/air conditioner always kept the same temperature, a cool 69.6, no matter what you set on the control. (There is one thin blanket in the closet.) The toilet paper was so thin that it required using many sheets, which is false eco(nomy). The hot water was only warm, and the water flow restrictors in the shower and sink were severe. This seemed to cross the line between Eco friendly and finding an excuse to cut all costs to the bone.

There was no coffee/tea maker in room, which is IAW Cambridge fire code, but there was also no way to even get a cup of coffee or tea, except for room service. Nor was there even a coffee/tea stand in the lobby, or anywhere. Even to get water hot enough to make tea required room service @ a cost of $1.50 + $3.00 Svc chg + 18% tip. This was typical of the stay.

There are better hotels in Cambridge than the Charles, which seems to be resting on its location and reputation.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the interior courtyard and higher up, away from the bar are much quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at the Charles Hotel. I appreciate your kind words regarding your accommodations. Please accept my apologies for any inconveniences brought upon you due to the offered electronics, pricing, thermostat and water flow. I will share these concerns with the appropriate team members. I appreciate your suggestion regarding coffee makers in the room and will take it under advisement. However, I do want to be sure that you are aware of our complimentary coffee provided for guests. We serve coffee in our lobby every morning from 5:30 until 7:00. As of 7AM, the complimentary coffee is available at the Host’s desk in Henrietta’s Table until 11 AM. I will also place a note in your guest profile requesting a coffee maker in your room (based on availability) during your future stays with us. If I can assist you further, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel in the future.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

I work for a non-profit outside of MA, and recently had the opportunity to assist in coordinating a 3-day meeting at the nearby Harvard Kennedy School. Our guests stayed at the Charles Hotel and as I understand it, very much enjoyed their time there! The staff was awesome, from start to finish. The front desk staff was delightful and very helpful with directions, questions (tons), and local maps and handouts on the local area. The hotel is located directly next door to the Taubman building, which is where our meetings were held. As the meetings rolled on through the day, there were some last minute details that came up that required some printing, and we did not have access to a printer in the building. The front desk at the hotel graciously stepped in and offered their services, in addition to the business center located on the same floor. We also has a reception in their restaurant, the Rialto, and were very pleased with the selections and waitstaff.

The hotel is in the heart of Harvard Square, with countless shops and eateries to visit. Our international guests especially loved the location and convenience to everything - including Boston!

A very enjoyable experience, I would highly recommend this venue to anyone looking to host guests for a nearby meeting/conference. Or to anyone looking to explore Cambridge/Boston for a leisure trip, this hotel is magnificent for a getaway in the city!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your conference attendees' stay with us at the Charles Hotel! Your kind words regarding the assistance of our front desk staff and our location is greatly appreciated. It will be my pleasure to share your comments with the team. If I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you and we hope to have the pleasure of serving you and your guests in the future!

Reviewed January 6, 2013

I'm a local and stayed here on a mini mom-cation. I have always enjoyed the ambience of the hotel when dining at Rialto or Henriettas's Table. I had a standard room, which was nicely furnished in a cozy New England style - lovely and comfortable bed! The shower/tub was a bit basic but still a nice bathroom (in-mirror tv.) Dinner at Rialto as usual didn't disappoint - fresh and inventive cuisine. Continental breakfast from room service was quick, delicious and beautifully presented. The staff were all friendly and courteous in all my encounters.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank khs22

Thank you for your kind words regarding your time spent at the Charles! I am happy to hear you enjoyed your time spent dining with us at Rialto as well as room service. I also appreciate your positive feedback about our guestrooms and encounters with our staff. Thank you again and if I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel in the future!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Very, very pleased with the cleanliness of our room. Great views of the skating rink below and Harvard Square, close to everything including the Red Line Train into Boston. We ate lunch and breakfast at Henrietta's Table, service was very good, lunch was excellent, breakfast was disappointing. Had dinner at Rialto's, very good, professional wait staff, just be prepared for the prices. The Wellness Center is amazing. Overall this property is extremely well cared for and I highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking either the Courtyard or Harvard Square.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at the Charles! I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the view as well as our location. I appreciate your kind words regarding the service received at Henrietta's Table but am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your breakfast. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I also am happy to hear you enjoyed your time spent at Rialto and the Wellbridge Athletic Club. It will be my pleasure to share your comments with the team. If I can assist you in any way, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel sometime soon.