“Such a Great Hotel”

Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
Massachusetts
“Such a Great Hotel”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We recently stayed here for a wedding and had previously stayed here years ago. It is such a comfortable and different hotel. The furnishings are a sort of contemporary country. The beds are super comfortable and rooms are a comfortable size.

The coolest thing, which I have never seen is the tv in the bathroom mirror. Such a cool feature. My son spent the morning playing in the tub and watching a morning cartoon.

We also attended a wedding at the hotel. Really beautiful. The cocktail hour was delicious, so many options and everything was delicious. By the time dinner came we were so full. But continued on and everything was delicious. I would definitely recommmend staying here as well as eating here.

Not to mention the great Harvard Square location cannot be beat. Lots of historical sites and shopping. And my husband's favorite activity, people watching.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay at the Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the wedding as well as your time spent dining with us and the television in the bathroom mirror. The Harvard Square location has a lot to offer and I'm glad you got to experience it. Please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com if I can assit you any further. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel in the future!

Alex Attia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed here over the night of the 22nd of September. I had originally booked through expedia for a deluxe guest room with two double beds. I was checked-in by Charlotte who did not appear to be interested or bothered by my Expedia request and subsequently placed me in a small room with one full sized bed. I called reception and asked to have my pre-paid room request be respected and upon my return to the front desk I was made to feel like I had caused the problem and inconvenienced her. Additionally, I just reviewed my credit card statement and the Charles double charged me for that night after Expedia had billed me for almost $300 already. I already called my credit card company and have the proper documentation so disputing this charge will not be a problem just an inconvenience which I did not expect from a hotel of this quality. But I suspect, it was just the carelessness or lack of desire to help by one rogue employee. My stay was otherwise nice. The room was clean and the location in Cambridge can not be beat.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank RajaNY
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay at the Charles. Please accept my apologies for the troublesome time you had with your reservation and the double billing. If I can assist you with anything further, including correcting your bill, please let me know. Guest satisfaction is our top priority here at the Charles and I am sorry you did not receive the service expected and deserved from us. Please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com with any further comments or questions. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel sometime soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed September 22, 2012

My wife and I were looking forward to a quiet weekend getaway - the first since having our son over a year ago. The hotel appeared very nice aesthetically, seemed to have decent service, BUT THEN....a series of concerts took place seemingly in our hotel room. The first night, the was a Jazz festival which ticket-holders couldn't have heard as well as we did from inside our room. The second night, a techno dance club with bass which shook the room as if it was being piped in through dozens of speakers. The hotel should be ashamed of itself.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at the Charles Hotel. I apologize for the excess noise in your guestroom due to nearby entertainment in the hotel. The noise you heard is not audible throughout the entire hotel and please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel in the future and giving you the experience you had hoped for. I will ensure you are in an area where any possible entertainment cannot be heard. Please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com if I can assist you in any way. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back and giving you the Charles Hotel experience you expect and deserve from us.

Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed September 22, 2012

The Charles hotel is in the heart of Harvard square. If you are visiting the school this is a great place to stay. You do not need to rent a car. Everything is in walking distance and parking is expensive and many of the streets are one way and it's confusing to drive. The rooms are very clean and updated. The standard room is not large but is is comfortable. We found the service to be good at the concierge desk, front desk and also in the restaurant. There are tons of small restaurants and shops all around the area. However the best part is how close the hotel is to Harvard. Out son is an undergrad and this is the Best place to stay if you are visiting a student.

1 Thank Dora F
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with me regarding your stay at the Charles. I am pleased to hear you were happy with your guestroom and everything Harvard Square has to offer. I appreciate your kind words, particularily those regarding the service received from our staff, and it will be my pleasure to share your comments with the team. Please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com if I can assist you any further. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel sometime soon.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 17, 2012

great location. excellent banquet facilities. night life. clean rooms. helpful staff.

if you're in the Cambridge area visiting MIT, Harvard, Tufts, etc., the Charles is an excellent hotel option. it's located right in the middle of Harvard Square. there are many delicious options for dinner or drinks. Legal Sea Foods, Henrietta's Table, Rialto, or Nior- these establishments are located on the hotel grounds. it's a short walk from the MBTA Harvard Square train/subway station. there's a USPS and FedEx store around the corner too.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your Charles Hotel experience with me. I appreciate your kind words regarding our location and everything the surrounding area has to offer. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the many dining options available to you in addition to our staff, night life, banquet facilities and guestrooms. Please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com if I can assist you further. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel sometime soon!

New York, New York
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I had a very nice stay recently at the Charles Hotel in Harvard Square. I only spent one night there, but really had nothing to complain about. Service was good (although I needed no special service) and the room was nice, pretty standard for what you would expect from a hotel room at this cost. Comfortable king size bed, clean bathroom. Location was excellent - close to the T, Harvard University, multiple parking garages, etc. Provides for easy access into Boston.

The rate of $300/night that I paid seemed a little steep to me for what you get.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for your kind words regarding your most recent stay at the Charles. I am happy to hear you were pleased with the cleanliness of your guestroom and your room in general, the service received and everything the surrounding area has to offer. Regarding the rate of parking, thank you for sharing your concerns and I will take it into consideration. Please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com if I can assist you in any way. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel in the near future.

NYC
Reviewed September 7, 2012

The hotel is nice enough and the location is great but the service REALLY needs an overhaul.

The Charles is certainly more expensive than the other hotels in Harvard Square so you would expect acceptable, if not, excellent service. Unfortunately, you would be wrong.

During our recent 4 night stay, we attempted to get ice delivered to our room on 3 separate occasions. (You have to get it delivered as they have no ice machines on the hotel floors)

The first time, it took 45 minutes and 3 phone calls.
The second time, after 4 phone calls and 2 hours it never came.
The third time, it took 2 phone calls and 45 minutes.
Complaints to the front desk yielded the response, "Well, they get busy delivering room service so they sometimes don't get to the ice." (This would be understandable if you had the ability to get your own ice but since you don't, you are just out of luck, apparently.)

The other BIG problem was, every afternoon at checkout time, our keys would expire. We would get back to our room after a long day, try to open our door and discover that our keys had been re-programmed and we could not get into our room without going back down to the lobby. One time, I understand but this happened EVERY SINGLE DAY!

While these complaints may sound small, we were paying over $400/night and there was neither any attention to detail, nor any apology for repeats of the same inconvenience day after day.

I hope the Charles Hotel management will look in to these problems and the general attitude towards service as our recent stay there was irritating and unpleasant. Otherwise, I will not be back.

2 Thank NYCtraveler62
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Charles Hotel. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. The length of time if took to receive ice in your guestroom is unacceptable and not our standards. Also, I'm sorry for the inconveniences due to your room key. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority here at the Charles and we are constantly working in improving. I have shared your comments with the appropriate team members to ensure these areas are improved. Please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com if I can assist you any further. Thank you again and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel in the future.

Alex Attia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
Downtown
Boston Harbor Hotel
Boston Harbor Hotel
#2 of 83 in Boston

Been to Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!