“Convenient to Harvard”
Review of Charles Hotel

Charles Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed September 22, 2012

The Charles hotel is in the heart of Harvard square. If you are visiting the school this is a great place to stay. You do not need to rent a car. Everything is in walking distance and parking is expensive and many of the streets are one way and it's confusing to drive. The rooms are very clean and updated. The standard room is not large but is is comfortable. We found the service to be good at the concierge desk, front desk and also in the restaurant. There are tons of small restaurants and shops all around the area. However the best part is how close the hotel is to Harvard. Out son is an undergrad and this is the Best place to stay if you are visiting a student.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Dora F
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with me regarding your stay at the Charles. I am pleased to hear you were happy with your guestroom and everything Harvard Square has to offer. I appreciate your kind words, particularily those regarding the service received from our staff, and it will be my pleasure to share your comments with the team. Please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com if I can assist you any further. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel sometime soon.

Alex Attia

Write a ReviewReviews (1,928)

Reviewed September 17, 2012

great location. excellent banquet facilities. night life. clean rooms. helpful staff.

if you're in the Cambridge area visiting MIT, Harvard, Tufts, etc., the Charles is an excellent hotel option. it's located right in the middle of Harvard Square. there are many delicious options for dinner or drinks. Legal Sea Foods, Henrietta's Table, Rialto, or Nior- these establishments are located on the hotel grounds. it's a short walk from the MBTA Harvard Square train/subway station. there's a USPS and FedEx store around the corner too.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your Charles Hotel experience with me. I appreciate your kind words regarding our location and everything the surrounding area has to offer. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the many dining options available to you in addition to our staff, night life, banquet facilities and guestrooms. Please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com if I can assist you further. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel sometime soon!

Reviewed September 10, 2012

I had a very nice stay recently at the Charles Hotel in Harvard Square. I only spent one night there, but really had nothing to complain about. Service was good (although I needed no special service) and the room was nice, pretty standard for what you would expect from a hotel room at this cost. Comfortable king size bed, clean bathroom. Location was excellent - close to the T, Harvard University, multiple parking garages, etc. Provides for easy access into Boston.

The rate of $300/night that I paid seemed a little steep to me for what you get.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Thank you for your kind words regarding your most recent stay at the Charles. I am happy to hear you were pleased with the cleanliness of your guestroom and your room in general, the service received and everything the surrounding area has to offer. Regarding the rate of parking, thank you for sharing your concerns and I will take it into consideration. Please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com if I can assist you in any way. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

The hotel is nice enough and the location is great but the service REALLY needs an overhaul.

The Charles is certainly more expensive than the other hotels in Harvard Square so you would expect acceptable, if not, excellent service. Unfortunately, you would be wrong.

During our recent 4 night stay, we attempted to get ice delivered to our room on 3 separate occasions. (You have to get it delivered as they have no ice machines on the hotel floors)

The first time, it took 45 minutes and 3 phone calls.
The second time, after 4 phone calls and 2 hours it never came.
The third time, it took 2 phone calls and 45 minutes.
Complaints to the front desk yielded the response, "Well, they get busy delivering room service so they sometimes don't get to the ice." (This would be understandable if you had the ability to get your own ice but since you don't, you are just out of luck, apparently.)

The other BIG problem was, every afternoon at checkout time, our keys would expire. We would get back to our room after a long day, try to open our door and discover that our keys had been re-programmed and we could not get into our room without going back down to the lobby. One time, I understand but this happened EVERY SINGLE DAY!

While these complaints may sound small, we were paying over $400/night and there was neither any attention to detail, nor any apology for repeats of the same inconvenience day after day.

I hope the Charles Hotel management will look in to these problems and the general attitude towards service as our recent stay there was irritating and unpleasant. Otherwise, I will not be back.

2  Thank NYCtraveler62

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Charles Hotel. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. The length of time if took to receive ice in your guestroom is unacceptable and not our standards. Also, I'm sorry for the inconveniences due to your room key. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority here at the Charles and we are constantly working in improving. I have shared your comments with the appropriate team members to ensure these areas are improved. Please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com if I can assist you any further. Thank you again and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel in the future.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

We were attending a symposium at Harvard, and we were fortunate to secure a room at the Charles Hotel in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The Charles Hotel is conveniently located within a ten minute walking distance to the Harvard campus. Downtown Cambridge is a lively, friendly town with cafes, stores, and high quality street performers. Walking to and from the campus is delightful. The hotel itself is meticulously clean and comfortable. The rooms are spacious and loaded with amenities, such as free wi-fi, an amazing television in the bathroom mirror, and comfortable bed. Lots of outlets are available for the tech savvy individual. We parked our car at the hotel on Wednesday for $35 per night, and never saw it again until Sunday when we left. There are so many wonderful restaurants and activities within a very short distance that the car was unnecessary. The hotel has a number of dining options for meals as well as late night snacks, with four restaurants and outdoor dining. The hotel and adjoining restaurant staff were very welcoming and friendly. Room service is fast and reasonable. We are thinking of going back to Cambridge just to stay at the hotel!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Thank you for your kind words regarding your time spent at the Charles. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your guestroom, the amenities received, your time dining with us, our staff and everything the surrounding area has to offer. I appreciate your kind words and look forward to sharing them with the team. Please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com if I can assist you in any way. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel sometime soon!

Reviewed August 23, 2012

The excellent parts: very nice area with lovely restaurants around, nice entrance, friendly people, fast elevators, cozy rooms, comfortable beds and extremely fast internet.
The alright parts: You had to continually log into internet on each device and were shut out after a few minutes of not using it. Hotel is not/not close to downtown Boston: at least two subway stops so not good for tourist stuff.
The bad: NO COFFEE MAKER! Yes, you could go to second floor and get coffee for free, but you still have to get dressed and go get it. That was extremely inconvenient. The restaurant might be a ten star but was very expensive for breakfast. Tip: there is an Ihop right across the street.
We were also disappointed that despite putting out a do not disturb sign we received a call from housekeeping at one in the afternoon asking when they could clean the room. Is that not the point of putting out a "do not disturb"?
I would recommend the hotel if you are going to be in that area of Boston but not if you are planning on being downtown.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mex56

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at the Charles. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your guestroom, your time interacting with our staff and the speed of the elevators and Wi-Fi. Regarding an in-room coffee maker, I will make a note in your guest profile requesting a coffee maker for your room during your future visits with us (based on availability). I am sorry to hear you were not fully satisfied with your breakfast and for the inconvenience regarding the "Do Not Disturb" sign. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority here at the Charles and we are constantly working im improving. If I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel in the future!

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Nice hotel in a great location. We arrived pretty late, but the staff were welcoming. The rooms and bathrooms were spacious and comfortable. Parking underneath the hotel. Able to wlak most places in Cambridge from here.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Charles Hotel. I appreciate your kind words about our staff and am happy you enjoyed your stay. Please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com with any further comments or concerns you may have. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel in the near future!