“Fourth of July Experience”

Charles River Canoe & Kayak Cambridge at Kendall Square
More attraction details
Owner description: Paddle in the heart of Boston and Cambridge from our location in Kendall Square! Treat yourself to a phenomenal view of the Boston skyline and the Esplanade, as well as other nearby landmarks like the Zakim Bridge, M.I.T., the Museum of Science, and Boston University. This nine-mile stretch of river has no current, allowing painless round trips. However, renters can also enjoy one-way trips to or from our Boston location in Allston/Brighton — a unique way to see the city! Experienced paddlers can even venture into Boston Harbor for an unforgettable adventure! Our Kendall Square location also hosts our spectacular Skyline Tours, Harbor Tours, and Barbeque Tours — a wonderful way for anyone to see the river.
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We rented a canoe to watch the fireworks on the fourth. Check in and out we're both amazingly efficient and it was a fun idea, but the amount of boat traffic and currents made it tricky to actually sit back and enjoy the show. A kayak may have been a better choice. All in all, a good experience, but not one I'd probably repeat.

1  Thank Fferffee

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We did a guided Kayaking tour for 2 hours in July 2013. The guide taught us how to kayak, gave us great history about Boston and the Charles River.

One note - it is a decent workout on the tour. You are kayaking (meaning rowing) almost continuously for 2 hours. We are in our early 30's, workout a few times a week and we found some muscles we didn't know we had! ;)

The views of Boston and Cambridge were great and the pace at which you experience it, really allows you to put locations and references together in a way that car, public transit or even walking doesn't allow you to get.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I love kayaking and when I saw that you could kayak in the middle of Boston I knew I had to do it! The company was pretty well organized and the hourly rates were reasonable. You get a good view of the skyline and there is even an inlet to the Espanade.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

We rented a kayak -very reasonable price. Bit concerned as we were advised that a big storm was due within the hour but assumed that if we were allowed to rent the kayak it must be ok......in the event we cut short our paddle as a boat came out telling all those still on the water to get back to a safe place. Still, it was a great way to see Boston from the river and I would love to do it again when we return to Boston.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

My kids and I rented two kayaks. We walked from Kendall MIT . We were given some safety information, life vests and we were set to go. Once we got to Charles River I got a bit scared as there are bigger boats and sailboats around, but there was no problem. The water does not look very clean...