“Still wonderful but should expand premises”
Review of Crema Cafe

Crema Cafe
Ranked #3 of 50 Coffee & Tea in Cambridge
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed December 1, 2013

The ONLY thing wrong with Crema is the scramble for seating. The coffee is as made by the goddess Vesta, and the viennoiserie is as made in, well, Vienna. The soup is comfort itself. The Earl Grey almond latte is insired, and the Earl Grey tea in it is actually several notches better than Twinings. The staff are absolutely charming and not at all ratty about the huge crowds. I love the introverted feel of it; tables mostly for one or two, no big noisy buzzy groups, but a big clean wooden well-lighted room. It is NOT an atomsphere at ALL like cafes in France or Vienna or Venice, but very American; the room is much too high for those places, and too bright, and there's no table linen. But that's just fine.

But they need and could probably cope with premises twice the size, at least in the cold months. I understand the idea; on the few occasions when I did score an actual table, I felt the gods had reached out and tapped my shoulder. But on the days when I didn't and had to either eat outside at an ambient temperature in the 30s or stand or perch next to some Macbookwielding dude, I felt cranky. If I lived in Cambridge I would get to know the busy times. As it was, I was twice bittelry disappointed, my disappointmoent proportionate to my adoration of the place. Go into that store next door, people! You know you want to.

Oh, and the wifi thing... you can pick up the Harvard wifi from the front tables. And I actually liked that you weren't automatically hooked into the world. Besides, if they had wifi too, then nobody would ever leave.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

You would expect a great assortment of teas and coffees and this place delivers without killing your pocketbook (i.e., S-bucks) along with some tasty desserts that shame other coffee spots.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

The people working there weren't very friendly at all. I got my coffee (which was fine) and then went to find a place to sit. After sitting down I try to stop someone that worked there and ask for the wifi password. What's that? No wifi? In a cafe??? In harvard sq??
I spoke with a friend that used to work there. She said they purposely have no wifi because they don't want you there past the initial purchase. Well, fine. I can take my business to peets right down the road (and has better coffee).

Reviewed September 30, 2013

It is a very European like atmosphere. It has wooden tables and very earthy brick walls. It offers a great variety of hot and cold caffeinated and decaffeinated beverages, along with freshly squeezed juices and perfectly steamed cappuccinos. There are daily in house made pastries and desserts. The menu offers breakfast and lunch choices, from eggs, salads, fruit cups, sandwiches with house-roasted meats, interesting spreads on homemade breads and seasonal soups that change daily. The staff is very hip, friendly and always welcomes the customers with a warm and broad smile. The place is always buzzing no matter the time of the day.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

This spot is easy to miss with its small(ish) storefront, but once inside you realize how large and popular it is. There is ample seating, usually mostly full especially at lunch time; an extensive menu, and friendly staff. The coffee is also delicious and equally importantly, strong. There are extensive vegetarian options, and before you roll your eyes and think that must mean they are bland, give them a try. I especially like the Sweet Potato. The veg options are interesting and healthy and largely NORMAL portion sizes - finally! If you aren't ready to try a different vegetable they also have adult grilled cheese and more typical salads/turkey sandwiches/etc. In the warmer months, you can linger at the outdoor seating and watch Harvard Square swirl around you, which is a sight to be seen. Enjoy!